large drain on battery

Hey I brought myself a 1995 micra Hollywood. I thought it just needed a new battery replaced it but next day was flat again. I got my multimeter out tested battery with engine running and getting 13v ish. When I turned engine off the volts drop massively down to about 4v when I disconnect battery it goes back up to around 11v. Ive tried removing fuses 1 at a time and theres stilll a drain on battery. Does anyone have any idea what it could be. Thanks in advance ben

I found that 13v was not enough for my k11, didnt give enough to run the car plus everything else...and charge the battery,

14.4, thats very generous :D around 14 is good enough with an aged alternator. I found that if you look to the right of the engine bay there is a red connector about an inch square, 1cm deep. Goes from battery, alternator and starter motor I do believe. that connector melted causing a restriction to charge the battery. and too and from the other connectors. See if the connector has not melted and cause this issue.. just a suggestion.

My situation was kind of the same. one min it was fine and charging next nothing. tested on min, then other, on and off. was a pain in the arse.

I have now found out the problem. (After hour off looking and testing) and its turned out to be the alternator drawing power from battery. At first I didnt think it was alternator as it was charging battery. Thanks for your replys.

large drain near battery :)
20121228_141325.jpg

Right I've tested everything it could possibly be causing the issue and it turns out to be the starter motor.
i unbolted it and tried pulling it off but its in there rock solid, and cant get the bugger out. Am i doing something wrong or does it just need a good tug?

Back