lambda sensor testing

hi,
i have micra k12 on 03 plate ..recently running poor on fuel and tries to cut out at idle sometimes..
done all the basics like air filter plugs and oil..
the old spark plugs were black and sooty..
i suspect the lambda sensor but i dont know where to put the multimeter wires to to check voltage...
do i remove the housing ..
is it possible to be lambda..
thanks

also have a code reader and no faults have been detected...
so am a bit lost.

frank

Club Member
hi afy, your 1st lambda should read 0 to 1v (fluctuating), and the 2nd lambda should read 0 to 3v.
2nd terminal/wire to earth to test both lambda,s :)

OP
OP
A
ive used several from ebay and all work..
u480
and gunsens from halfords which does cars from 2001..

i am still not sure where the red wire and the black wire go on the lambda sensor...
is it that the red wire goes to the lambda white wire and the black lead on the multimeter goes to ground

thanks

Dragonmaster_uk

K12 NUTTER
just something for you to try mate if you don`t feel confident doing the multimeter way connect with the diagnostic tester start the car and leave it five mins when i first plugged my mums in no faults were found but after a few mins the eng light came on and did find a fault

frank them voltages are scary my mums was reading 1.5v 1st sensor and second sensor 0.5v constant

OP
OP
A
thanks guys will try in the morning
and if i get progress
will let you know
for your help any of you guys need a micra k12 workshop manual on cd and software
letme know
thanks

frank

Club Member

Attachments

• PICT0223.JPG
    PICT0223.JPG
    94.3 KB · Views: 825
  • PICT0224.JPG
    PICT0224.JPG
    94.5 KB · Views: 642
OP
OP
A
advice needed please..
ive tested the 1st lambda sensor and its reading was .15v steady with no fluctuatuion..
i also checked the other white cble and that read 14.* v
do i need to change this sensor...
also nothing came up on the code reader...even with the engine running for a few minutes.

with code reader they work on two trip run it for 10-15min then switch it off and should apper, can u view the sensors on the reader too

OP
OP
A
cant view the sensors on the code reader.
i ran it for 15 mins...switched it off...then put the code reader on it and let it run for a few mins...still nothing coming up on the code reader..
havnt changed the lambda as yet...though i get about 280 miles on a full tank, and it slightly judders on idle now and again especially when cold.
put stp in fuel tank to clean any crap in the fuel lines/injectors etc..
still thinking what else to do before i resort to changing the lambda.

just throught about it and we had a e11 come in with the same fault and we tested the o2 sensors and there were switching, checked technical bulletins and found that the Earth under the drivers side head light can cause problems take it off and clean the surface of it on the slam panel and the connector it self.

if it still does it then check the earths behind the head lights

hope that helps

get back to let us know