Lambda sensor advice please...

Hi All
At the last 2 mot's the engineer said that one of the sensors is faulty. The gas readings were within limits so he was happy to pass it. I have replaced both sensors. My question is, do I have to have it code read to put the light out? Thanks Rachel.

Car failed on the Engine Management light. When the code reader was plugged in, the garage said catalytic converter may have a problem. However, after the exhaust gasses were tested for the MOT, the garage said that the gases were very good. He said that 9 times out of 10, a sensor may be faulty. It's quite common apparently, as they are meant to be replaced at around 80,000 miles. He suggested replacing both of them which I have done. I just need to know if it has to be re-read with a code reader to now put the light out? Many thanks.

yes you will need a code reader to delete it rachel , a cheap bluetooth one and torque app works on most cars

oh, I see know, code reading like diagnostics, yes, it only needs reset and it's fine, anyway, not an issue for the forum really in my opinion.

sometimes they do reset themselves on their own with a certain amount of successful trips, but I'm not sure for certain on this car

For example, if the car starts and runs without issues 50 consecutive times the code is lost from the ECU memory without any need for a reset. But, for the sake of a cheap code reader you can save yourself the uncertainty - they're not expensive proprietary software the garage needs to buy any more now so it shouldn't be expensive to have it checked and cleared and make sure the car is running well again and give you peace of mind

Another thing to note is that failed lambda sensors (especially the back one) can damage the catalytic converter from it running hot/rich - however this seems unlikely since you got it fixed fast after the code and it still passed the emissions - either your front one went first and then a while later the rear one went and threw up the code, or it was only slightly/intermittently broken not enough to do further damage

Thanks for all your advice. I took it to a Bosch centre today. 5 minuits and £30 later, it still lights up. The fault code says that sensor 1 has a earthing problem.

Back