Lack of power whilst driving

Arnold

www.alanarnold.co.uk
Site Supporter
Ok on saturday i was driving around, did about 130 miles and things were fine

the next day, after 5 miles, i was doing 60 in 4th and foot to the floor, the engine wasnt pulling and the car was just sitting at the same speed, with no real response. I changed to 3rd to rev it a bit, but the same happened again.. no revving or power and the thing felt like it was about to break down.

i slowed down a bit, stuck it in second and it revved fine, managed to get it back up to 60mph through 3rd and 4th then it happened again, for about 20/30 minutes.

Somehow, it came back to life again and i managed to get about 200 miles out of it, without a problem.

What the hell is that all about!?!? Krazy thinks it could be the distributer needs replacing.. but i dont get why it was a tempremental thing

Cheers people
Arnold

OP
OP
Arnold

Arnold

www.alanarnold.co.uk
Site Supporter
I really dont know! i dont think its anything to do with the clutch, as it was in gear, and able to change gear fine :s

Would be good to get some input from Ed and others that know there stuff :)

R

RaptorRVL

Perhaps something in the carb?
Or a vacuum unit was stuck for a moment, or something with the timing of the ignition (would be vacuum unit in that case or something).
So might indeed be something with distributor.

Maybe your points need changing? Could well be the timing is off and it's having it's toll on the points.
Once driven back home going 75mph a looong way. Then when I went off highway and as soon as I hit the clutch the engine stalled. Also had some strangs power loss when driving sometimes.
And didnt want to start as well, not at all. In the end the points and condensators were faulty. And after replacing the car was running fine again hehe
Never had those problems after I got my electronic ignition :p
But maybe you already have that... hmmm

take the cover of the engine coil and clean it, cause it might of got damp and wet and spray it with wd40.this should do the trick.

if you dont know where it is, it is on the passenger side bolted to the inside of the engine bay on the left hand wing.

T

Tesla

Is it firing all cylinders.

One of your spark plugs may be cream crackered or the leads.

Had to replace the spark and ht leads in my micra as it was only firing on 3 cylinders.

OP
OP
Arnold

Arnold

www.alanarnold.co.uk
Site Supporter
Swallow - its interesting that you suggest this as the day before, Krazy was messing around with this, trying to get my rev counter to work! I will investigate this area, make sure the cover is back on correctly etc.

raptor, if swallow's advice doesnt help, my car does have the electronic ignition, however may consider checking out the leads & plugs, also sticking some carb cleaner through it.. with regards to your other points, they're a bit too technical for me so will have to run them past someone who knows what they're doing :)

cheers

i would also dry the coil with a rag and spray it with wd40. my car was juddering when i put my foot down in the wet and would struggle to go fast, now that i have done this it runs fine!

Ed

Fusion Motorsport
MSC Founder
Official MSC Trader
If it comes back bring it over to me and Ill check it over.

Ed

OP
OP
Arnold

Arnold

www.alanarnold.co.uk
Site Supporter
well i had another look today. The outside of the coil itself is looking a bit rusty, and under the cap, its full of small brown dirt (quite alot!). Also the end of the leads coming out of it, there is a light blue substance on the metal.

I went to buy some replacement leads and halfrauds didnt have any in stock. Definitly looks a bit dodgey to me tho