KNOCKING ON FRONT SUSPENSION

Hi ive noticed when i drive over rough or bumpy roads ive got a knock could this be a wheel bearing or one of the bushes its on the drivers side.

cheers

theres lots of things to check here.

with the car on the floor:
1) wobble the wheel vertically, from top to bottom. if theres knocking there, could well be the wheel bearing (but will be cheaper and faster just to replace the hub)
2) wobble the wheel horizontally, from front to back. if theres movement, steering tie/track rod ends are worn
3) if theres both, it could be the swivel joint that the hub attaches to the wishbone with.
4) check the driveshaft nut. this has to be done up really tight and can work loose (131lb ft)

jack the front of the car up and check:

1)wishbone mounts for tightness (40ish lb ft) and bush wear
2) drop links for tightness (12lb ft) and bush wear
3) ARB mounts for tightness (40ish lb ft) and bush wear
4) tightness of strut to hub mounts (75lb ft)

OP
OP
skaboy
theres lots of things to check here.

with the car on the floor:
1) wobble the wheel vertically, from top to bottom. if theres knocking there, could well be the wheel bearing (but will be cheaper and faster just to replace the hub)
2) wobble the wheel horizontally, from front to back. if theres movement, steering tie/track rod ends are worn
3) if theres both, it could be the swivel joint that the hub attaches to the wishbone with.
4) check the driveshaft nut. this has to be done up really tight and can work loose (131lb ft)

jack the front of the car up and check:

1)wishbone mounts for tightness (40ish lb ft) and bush wear
2) drop links for tightness (12lb ft) and bush wear
3) ARB mounts for tightness (40ish lb ft) and bush wear
4) tightness of strut to hub mounts (75lb ft)

Hi tom thanxs for the reply has soon as the sun shines :rolleyes: i will check the above.

cheers

frank

Club Member
Hi frank thanxs for the reply is there anyway of checking this out.

cheers
you have to get someone to shake the top of the wheel, while you shine a torch at the balljoint on the wishbone mate, like they do on the mot (the play often disappears when you jack the car up)

ive done the bottom ball job. its a real pain in the a55. the next time i do it, shall be replacing the wishbone as well, to keep the 2 intact.