Keys, Locks, NATS & Things....

Evening all,

After a break in few years back I end up with three different keys and locks. All works fine but the drivers door key about to breath it's last ... borderline to snapping.

So I bought a complete new set .... doors, boot, petrol and ignition assembly for a great price on ebay but just thinking now .... are these just a mechanical swap in or is there a chance that the keys are linked to something clever electrically or suchlike? Read a little (but didn't understand greatly) about NATS?

Car is base model pre-facelift 95 1.0 ... only thing electrical is the heated rear window! :) ..... should it be a straight screwdriver job or need to take care over anything else?

Appreciate advice as always.

Cheers

Where Nats immobiliser is fitted, new or replacement keys will require copy coding.

Some locksmiths are equipped to read the old keys code & to copy it onto new copy keys at fairly competitive prices.

My first K11, a 1000cc base model Micra Shape on N reg, had full Nats imobiliser oem as standard

PS:
To avoid the additional cost of copy coding keys, it’s possible to bypass this by putting the old chip or whole old key near to the ignition lock barrel antenna code reader as a DIY bodge.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Where Nats immobiliser is fitted, new or replacement keys will require copy coding.

Some locksmiths are equipped to read the old keys code & to copy it onto new copy keys at fairly competitive prices.

My first K11, a 1000cc base model Micra Shape on N reg, had full Nats imobiliser oem as standard

PS:
To avoid the additional cost of copy coding keys, it’s possible to bypass this by putting the old chip or whole old key near to the ignition lock barrel antenna code reader as a DIY bodge.

Thanks for the advice .... any way to tell if it has NATS or not?

There was an after market alarm/imobiliser fitted early days ... long since expired.

As it goes the steering lock and key are solid but would be nice replace the lot with one good new set .

Early Nats immobiliser was a separate PCB module located behind a bulge formed in the front passenger foot well plastic kick panel on the nearside.

Sounds like a lot of time & work on a 24 year old vehicle in its final few years of economically viable useful lifecycle.

I just use & drive the thing & ignore any such superfluous bits that stop working until the MOT renders it beyond economic repair.

LiamC

I've ruined my car ?
Thanks for the advice .... any way to tell if it has NATS or not?

There was an after market alarm/imobiliser fitted early days ... long since expired.

As it goes the steering lock and key are solid but would be nice replace the lot with one good new set .
Is there a flashing red light on the centre console dash with the keys out of the ignition?

OP
OP
Early Nats immobiliser was a separate PCB module located behind a bulge formed in the front passenger foot well plastic kick panel on the nearside.

Sounds like a lot of time & work on a 24 year old vehicle in its final few years of economically viable useful lifecycle.

I just use & drive the thing & ignore any such superfluous bits that stop working until the MOT renders it beyond economic repair.

.... you harsh on your cars plmval! :) .... end of economical lifecycle!!!!! :) .... no I take your point. Mind you the guy on ebay did an entire new set with duplicates and including steering lock for £33 shipped! Not bad.

Mind I didn't stop to think about the knock on effect. Worst case I could just do doors, boot and petrol and just have two keys but if the ignition one is doable without complexity then I'd like that ... lego level rebuilding is ok with me. Re-programming and the like I'm less keen on and another level of cost as you rightly mention.

Have to say bar a set of HT leads and some option spark plugs we doing pretty well this year for costs .... famous last words!

Will take a look at the area you mention.

OP
OP
Is there a flashing red light on the centre console dash with the keys out of the ignition?

Don't think so Liam ... mad that. get in it every day these days and couldn't be 100% but I don't think so. Will go take a check.

If there is it means? ...

LiamC

I've ruined my car ?
Don't think so Liam ... mad that. get in it every day these days and couldn't be 100% but I don't think so. Will go take a check.

If there is it means? ...
Yours is very early so I doubt you have nats, but it's just to the left of the hazard light switch. If you don't have it, then it's probably the same amount of work to change an ignition barrel as it is for a door lock

Quote; “ If there is it means”? That you most probably have a Nats immobiliser in operation.

My first K11, a 1000cc base model 1995 Micra Shape on N reg, had full Nats immobiliser oem as standard.

In the 1980s & early 1990s before they became common oem equipment, some people fitted a red flashing LED in dash to mimic the presence of an active immobiliser alarm, where none actually existed.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Yours is very early so I doubt you have nats, but it's just to the left of the hazard light switch. If you don't have it, then it's probably the same amount of work to change an ignition barrel as it is for a door lock

Thanks Liam, yep no LED of any description. Come to think of it, I think I changed the steering lock when it last got broken into. Should write this stuff down when it's done. Pretty sure on that basis I should be good to do this. .... well on a day when it's considerably drier and warmer that is. Thanks again

OP
OP

BTW plmval .... stick :) (y)