Key fob programming

I have owned a Micra (2002) for many years but always manually unlocked/locked with the key, despite having in possession the key fob. I don't recall if it ever worked or how it stopped working.

Just recently, I figured I would try getting the key fob to work again.

My first step was to change the battery on the fob. Next, I searched around for the correct process to reprogramme/pair the fob with the car (0 to ON position six times, etc). The car seems to enter programmable mode, but the car does not respond to controls from the fob.

I'm unsure if this means the fob is damaged (apart from the buttons being worn, which are able to be pressed in) in some way internally.

Various places offer uncut key fobs which the seller claims only need to be reprogrammed (is this the same as the standard process I have described above?).

Can anyone advise? Thanks

The rubber on the little buttons inside on the circuit board can wear away making it seem the fob is broke. i have replaced the button contacts twice in 6 years on the wife’s Almera Key fobs. About £6 a set on amazon but some are better than others,, the buttons and the key fob casing if you touch lucky

ab inleren.JPG

John_D

Club Member
Radio Code Guru
You can get button repair kits for the fobs on ebay. These usually comprise of new button switches and a replacement rubber fob casing. If you are reasonably proficient with a soldering iron these are fairly straight forward to fix, I have done a few now for myself and members of my family........Also one of THESE is useful to check that the buttons work and the fob is transmitting, only about £8 and invaluable when diagnosing and checking the fob's operation.........

You can get button repair kits for the fobs on ebay. These usually comprise of new button switches and a replacement rubber fob casing. If you are reasonably proficient with a soldering iron these are fairly straight forward to fix, I have done a few now for myself and members of my family........Also one of THESE is useful to check that the buttons work and the fob is transmitting, only about £8 and invaluable when diagnosing and checking the fob's operation.........

This is okay if you already have the soldering iron and the circuit board for inside the fob. I'm sending my spare key off to a bloke who will replace the buttons and the fob and check over the circuit board for £20 including signed for post. If it comes back okay, I'll send the other.

John_D

Club Member
Radio Code Guru
This is okay if you already have the soldering iron and the circuit board for inside the fob. I'm sending my spare key off to a bloke who will replace the buttons and the fob and check over the circuit board for £20 including signed for post. If it comes back okay, I'll send the other.
Sounds like a good deal, he won't be making a fortune out of you after buying the bits and the postage, just a small fair profit for his time.:cool:

There are several online who do it ... Just want to see if it's okay - neither fob works remotely (but - tbh - this doesn't worry me). The batteries are new but the fobs themselves are afiach and having looked at the spare - whilst it unlocks and locks okay, the buttons are rubbished. I've not taken apart the key I'm using but now worried that it will give up the ghost unexpectedly in the middle of nowhere ?

To repair the rubber i cut 2x small plastic crescent shapes out of a milk carton and put them inside the fob over the 2 micro switches. The switches tend to break off at the solder joint but easy to attach a new one.
When putting the fob back together wrap insulation tape around the outside. This will protect the rubber and stop it wearing away. I added a white dot with sellotape to tell which side to press.
My next thing with key is to get the immo chip programmed so i have a spare, only got 1 working key, if i lose it........

Attachments

• 20231115_174934.jpg
    20231115_174934.jpg
    6.1 MB · Views: 29