K12 with 25,000 miles

Hi all, new here so hope you don’t mind me dropping a question in on my first post.

My father in law recently passed away :-( His car was a cherished 2005 Micra 1.2 S which he owned from nearly new. He didn’t do many miles, so it has just 25,000 on the clock. It drives like new - really tight, lovely smooth engine, clutch, gearbox etc. He had it serviced at a dealer every year without fail, so it’s in great mechanical condition. However the bodywork has a couple of scrapes and bumps on it, so visually it doesn’t look great. It’s also that metallic sky blue colour which isn’t very popular.

I’m after some advice on what to do with it. Is it worth trying to sell it, or is the bodywork going to put anyone off buying it? Is it worth selling for parts? It seems such a waste to scrap it when it’s got many years of life left in it - but don’t know what to do.

Any advice would be appreciated.

How bad is the body work? Is it not worth keeping and repairing with that kind of mileage? I'm assuming you're not a Micra fan, and are just here for advice? My advice is, yes, it will sell. For how much depends on condition. Some photos would be helpful there.

Scrapping a car with only 25k on it seems a bit harsh. Someone will buy it. Just how bad are these dents and crapes that are making you consider scrapping a car with only 25K on it?

Prices for a 2005 1.2S range from £400, to £1600. I've just seen an ad for a 2005 1.2S with 29k on it, for £1900 and it doesn't look perfect.

I'd take some photos of it, and post them on here and then people can advise you more accurately.

It can't be THAT bad if he cherished it as you say.

Hi David, thanks for the reply. I do quite like the Micra (especially the K12 variant) - but both me and my wife already have cars, so it's "surplus to requirements".

You're right, it does seem criminal scrapping it - but the bodywork is quite bad. Both front doors have scrapes and dents on them, and the front bumper has some scratches. I'll take some more photos later.

So long as the panels that can't be easily replaced are not damaged (which is basically the rear quarters and roof), then that's still a viable car. Doors on Ebay go for around £60. Bumpers for around the same. Being Temperature Blue, the chances of finding one in the same colour, ready to bolt on is pretty high as well. Even if painting required, that's not a deal breaker as the door can be painted off the car, and fitted. afterwards. Four bolts and the wiring is on a multi-plug connector.

Being 25k with full service history, I'd put this at around £600 to £900 as it is (depending upon what the other side and bumpers are like). Repaired and looking spot on, that's a £1800 car all day long... possibly a great deal higher if someone wants a K12 as a keeper. If you look on Ebay now, there are classified ads for 1.2S K12s with this kind of mileage for north of £2k.

OK, took a couple more photos. I hope I'm not breaking any forum rules here?

MOT is until June next year, and the tyres were replaced about 500 miles ago. It had a new battery fitted 6 months ago.

Check out my micra blog its 05 3 door with much higher miles than this.
I know there will be people interested in parts for the k12.

I have been looking for 4 steel wheels but would want them to be 15inch

My micra cost me 895 and its in no way great condition. But functions well and is a great second car that I am currently using to learn in.
You should try and see what you can get. On eBay look for similar adds check gum tree out etc...

The last one I looked at had been garaged. All its life was in mint condition under the hood. Had low mileage couple dents and scrapes. Was a base S like the one you are showing and it was about 1200 or 1400 pounds.

I think you could expect 1000 plus easy on this if the right person wants one.

Good luck with finding a new owner
And thanks for showing us.

Thanks for the advice Sparky - really helpful.

Does this forum have a 'for sale' section? I'd be happy to sell for £750 to a forum member if I can find an interested buyer on here.

many many many many people will buy a mechanically perfect car with some minor bodywork imperfections, I find that bodywork actually seems to matter more to men, where as women would just rather something that works regardless of how tidy it looks.

I would consider posting it on a website like mumsnet or facebook marketplace or the moneysavingexpert forum.

If you're in the northwest I would make an offer and get it for my Mum. She has a k12 at the moment but it has a few issues.

I know you think it looks like scrap, but don't be afraid to be cheeky and ask for a higher price for what you have. The worst thing people will do is tell you it's too high and offer lower.

The only thing wrong on the near side is the front bumper/wing scrape. So all I can see wrong with this car, as the o/s door, and bumper scrape.

New o/s door from ebay, and a new front bumper and wing repairing and respraying.

Interior looks spot on.

Around £700 to £800 as is. Repaired and in looking good, I'd not be surprised if you got £2k for it if advertised on Auto Trader or Car Gurus etc. Cheap all round to advertise on Facebook Marketplace though. You'd get £1500 all day long if that was repaired without even trying, so I'd get a quote to get it repaired if I were you and work out how much you're likely to get. If it turns out that after repair you'd not get much more than selling it pre-repair, then sell it as it is. Someone who wants a nice low mileage Micra will see the potential in that, and just get parts off Ebay.

Mileage all checks out with MOT history (you left one shot without the number plate blanked out so I checked).

Someone off here will definitely buy that, either repaired, or as is. I'd not break this for parts. That's an easy repair and you have a really nice Micra

Cheers. The passenger door does have a scrape on it - so yes ideally it needs a new drivers door, passenger door and front bumper. The passenger door and bumper could be repaired but the drivers door would probably be easier to replace.

I’d happily take £700 from anyone who wants an easy project? Based in Stafford (near junction 13 /14 of the M6)?

I have sold all of my leave off battered old Micras on Gum tree for cash as they stand with all their faults.

In my experience I would ask £990 for your K12 with a documented audit trail of annual servicing & repair invoices service history to prove the mileage & expect to sell it for no less than £900 cash!

Good luck

Thanks for the replies all - very much appreciated.

There's a load of documentation/audit trail to prove the mileage is correct. There's a folder full of garage invoices - it had £546 of work done just 4 months ago (new lower suspension arms both sides, plus a replacement boot switch), plus invoices for new battery, replacement seals etc as well as all the garage service receipts, old MOTs etc.

I'll give gumtree a try over the weekend.

Looks good with paid invoices receipts with old MOTs documented audit trail history & will need a current long valid MOT for a good upper price quick sale.

Good luck (y)

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for your help. I advertised on gumtree yesterday and today a lovely lady collected the car for £775. I could probably have held out for more, but I am happy that it’s gone to a good home. And all thanks to those who responded.
Thanks & take care.