K12 - what to look for

4 wheels, steering wheel, go button and stop. also the red button on the gear stick... never touch that button. :D sorry having a wobbly moment.

Very wobbly Chris :p

Hi Mattjo ...usual stuff with any car...check under sills and arches for rust... check mot mileage matches what the dash says and the condition of the seats, door handles and paintwork can show if significantly out

depending on age and mileage it's a good idea to check if it's had it's timing chain (if petrol 54 reg or older) or Belt (if diesel) changed
the older petrol ones often had an issue with the timing chain stretching...which = potentially expensive <_<
the dci's should have the belts changed every 5 years or 72,000 miles ;) I had mine done in 2010 for £230 (that'sw all parts and 4 hours labour) you can possibly do it yourself, but unless you're an expert/very confident I wouldn't recommend that

check that the plastic under arches are intact...if missing or damaged this may mean it had an accident/new bumper...not always of course :p

make sure you compare prices with similar spec/age/reg models to check that the price is about right...if it looks too good to be true...use you're common sense, it probably is ;)

check for silly things like is the spare wheel/towhook/wheel brace in the boot where it should be?...if not, why not?

does it have alloys?...are there locking wheel nuts...do they have the key for them?

do the electrics work? windows etc...
do they have the radio code...that can be a pain in the backside if the battery goes flat or has been disconnected for any reason

if it's quite a new one with Nissan connect it'll be a good idea to check it has the Sat nav SD card (if it has satnav)...as they often turn up being sold separately on ebay 'cause they're expensive to update <_<

(my dad's Almera has the Cd-rom version, £200 for new one from Nissan :eek: although I think the SD one's are cheaper than that :p)

Oh, and another thing check what the advisories on the MOT were...if there is something going wrong soon...extra costs may need to be put into consideration ;)

ETA: almost forgot...does it have both keys? and are there any warning lights staying on the dash (airbag/engine/oil etc)

Very wobbly Chris :p

Hi Mattjo ...usual stuff with any car...check under sills and arches for rust... check mot mileage matches what the dash says and the condition of the seats, door handles and paintwork can show if significantly out

depending on age and mileage it's a good idea to check if it's had it's timing chain (if petrol 54 reg or older) or Belt (if diesel) changed
the older petrol ones often had an issue with the timing chain stretching...which = potentially expensive <_<
the dci's should have the belts changed every 5 years or 72,000 miles ;) I had mine done in 2010 for £230 (that'sw all parts and 4 hours labour) you can possibly do it yourself, but unless you're an expert/very confident I wouldn't recommend that

check that the plastic under arches are intact...if missing or damaged this may mean it had an accident/new bumper...not always of course :p

make sure you compare prices with similar spec/age/reg models to check that the price is about right...if it looks too good to be true...use you're common sense, it probably is ;)

check for silly things like is the spare wheel/towhook/wheel brace in the boot where it should be?...if not, why not?

does it have alloys?...are there locking wheel nuts...do they have the key for them?

do the electrics work? windows etc...
do they have the radio code...that can be a pain in the backside if the battery goes flat or has been disconnected for any reason

if it's quite a new one with Nissan connect it'll be a good idea to check it has the Sat nav SD card (if it has satnav)...as they often turn up being sold separately on ebay 'cause they're expensive to update <_<

(my dad's Almera has the Cd-rom version, £200 for new one from Nissan :eek: although I think the SD one's are cheaper than that :p)

Oh, and another thing check what the advisories on the MOT were...if there is something going wrong soon...extra costs may need to be put into consideration ;)

ETA: almost forgot...does it have both keys? and are there any warning lights staying on the dash (airbag/engine/oil etc)
Jen..too much time on your hands

signature...please ignore anything I say...when using my phone it is either bad grammar or rubbish spelling.

Cool, good luck Mattjo...I hope you're onto a winner

If you have any more questions or concerns just post 'em, there's usually somebody here that can help :p

If it has/had a dodgy chain? once it's changed it's fine as the newer one's don't have the "stretch" issue ;)

Buying a K12 ? Advisable to check a professional motor review of K12 Micras such as
http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/nissan/micra-k12-2003/?section=bad
The conclusion summary is : To many problems and best avoided.

o_O wow they're harsh... that's every single problem ever though, right?
to be fair pretty much every other site review I've read (auto trader, parkers, top gear etc) agree around the 4/5 mark... 2/5? I'm guessing they had a dodgy one :rolleyes:

Gotta say ...the only problem I've had with mine was that ECU recall (but there was never anything actually wrong with her)
5 minutes at the dealer, no charge ;)
there was also a metal framework within the engine bay that kept snapping...but it didn't actually do anything, so we took it out ^_^
I assume it was something to do with keeping the oil dipstick tube secure? ...didn't even touch it LOL

...those issues don't all come up on every single model BTW, that's just silly if anyone thinks that (and so avoid it) *facepalm*

I personally wouldn't have the keyless entry, because the fobs eat batteries LOL
I also wouldn't have the auto wipers and parking sensors....they drive me crazy (my mum has all 3 on her SVE)

.....and besides the "What's good" list is longer :p

The owner reviews are more how I feel about mine
since I've owned mine it's never failed an MOT (infact at the last MOT there weren't even any advisories)

saying the fact that only 59% pass MOT's is dodgy and misleading <_<
...most fails aren't necessarily due to the car itself.... it's stuff like tyres, wipers, fluids and lights that people can't be bothered to check beforehand

Buying a k12?

Ignore this....

Buying a K12 ? Advisable to check a professional motor review of K12 Micras such as
http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/nissan/micra-k12-2003/?section=bad
The conclusion summary is : To many problems and best avoided.

Listen to this....

o_O wow they're harsh... that's every single problem ever though, right?
to be fair pretty much every other site review I've read (auto trader, parkers, top gear etc) agree around the 4/5 mark... 2/5? I'm guessing they had a dodgy one :rolleyes:

Gotta say ...the only problem I've had with mine was that ECU recall (but there was never anything actually wrong with her)
5 minutes at the dealer, no charge ;)
there was also a metal framework within the engine bay that kept snapping...but it didn't actually do anything, so we took it out ^_^
I assume it was something to do with keeping the oil dipstick tube secure? ...didn't even touch it LOL

...those issues don't all come up on every single model BTW, that's just silly if anyone thinks that (and so avoid it) *facepalm*

I personally wouldn't have the keyless entry, because the fobs eat batteries LOL
I also wouldn't have the auto wipers and parking sensors....they drive me crazy (my mum has all 3 on her SVE)

.....and besides the "What's good" list is longer :p

The owner reviews are more how I feel about mine
since I've owned mine it's never failed an MOT (infact at the last MOT there weren't even any advisories)

saying the fact that only 59% pass MOT's is dodgy and misleading <_<
...most fails aren't necessarily due to the car itself.... it's stuff like tyres, wipers, fluids and lights that people can't be bothered to check beforehand

Back