K12 starting issue

Hi guy's. Ivan here. Thought I'd nick my bro's login haha!

Anyways my missus has got an '03 K12 1.0 and has been having an intermittant starting problem. It only happens when the car is cold. She'll start it up and it'll run v. low revs for a couple of seconds and then cut out. Then it can ake anything up to 10 mins to re-start. It'll only start if you can get it revving the ######## off it and holding the throttle on for about 2 mins or so. I'm guessing it's a temp sensor or something but not sure.

Anyone else had this problem?

Ivan

nissanmicrak12

Ex. Club Member
yeah turned out that i needed high octain petrol it now starts every time?dont ask how or why?because i dont know? lol but it works !try it put a tenner worth in the tank :eek:)

K10Daz

RIP Colin McRae 1968-2007
yeah turned out that i needed high octain petrol it now starts every time?dont ask how or why?because i dont know? lol but it works !try it put a tenner worth in the tank :eek:)

Sorry mate but that doesnt sound legit to me! Sounds like thats just masking a problem, The higher the octane of fuel the harder it is to ignite so i cant really understand why your car is starting now mate

nissanmicrak12

Ex. Club Member
legit?of course it is!lol its at any shell or bp station (bp ultimate or shell farrai fuel)try it i sware by it,once you have done in a full tank you can go back to the normal fuel what have you got to loose? a quid or so extra in petrol?for some reason it works and i wouldnt lie ither with having the same car as you with (what sounds like the same problem)it fixed mine you should see a marked improvement

OP
OP
Nis

Nis

I think what he was saying is that it's not a legit fix just a bodge. Hmm can't see it being that tbh. Trouble is it's very intermittent and will probably only happen 1 in every 10 starts.

Ivan

K10Daz

V-power and Tesco98(99)RON has very very little or no effect in performance to your 1L mate, honestly, its the old placebo effect coming in! Iv tried it and found no gains what so ever - just a hefty fuel bill at the end of the fill up! Regular servicing and normal fuel will be the best set up for your car.
High octane fuel is designed for high performance cars to reduce pinking as it is harder to ignite therefore ignites at the correct ignition timing point at btdc, if it was to ignite too early the engine would pink and detonation would occur! So the high octane fuel reduces that and to an extent retards the ignition point of the fuel -- if that all makes sense.

nissanmicrak12

Ex. Club Member
V-power and Tesco98(99)RON has very very little or no effect in performance to your 1L mate, honestly, its the old placebo effect coming in! Iv tried it and found no gains what so ever - just a hefty fuel bill at the end of the fill up! Regular servicing and normal fuel will be the best set up for your car.
High octane fuel is designed for high performance cars to reduce pinking as it is harder to ignite therefore ignites at the correct ignition timing point at btdc, if it was to ignite too early the engine would pink and detonation would occur! So the high octane fuel reduces that and to an extent retards the ignition point of the fuel -- if that all makes sense.
i know it has no power increase!it just makes the car start first time every time!READ WHAT I WROTE!!!!!IT MAKES YOUR CAR START EVERY TIME!!!!!!!!!EVER SINCE IVE USED IT !!!!!I KNOW IT HAS NO GAINS FOR A 1LTR!!!!!!!!! GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

joesouthgate

Super Moderator
Club Member
i know it has no power increase!it just makes the car start first time every time!READ WHAT I WROTE!!!!!IT MAKES YOUR CAR START EVERY TIME!!!!!!!!!EVER SINCE IVE USED IT !!!!!I KNOW IT HAS NO GAINS FOR A 1LTR!!!!!!!!! GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

calm down :p :glance: :blush:

K10Daz

The only reason i can see this curing your problem is that the fuel cleaning additives in vpower has cleaned off the ####e that was in ur fuel lines and now the car starts - either that a coincidence.
We have had technical bulletins throo advising customers not to use supermarket fuel -fordy has your dealership had those??