K12 Start/Ignition barrel problem...

Hi! After a bit of advice.

Our 1.2 Keyless entry K12 had developed a bit of a problem. When you try to start the beasty, You press the brake pedal, push the ignition barrel in as usual, the beeping starts and green 'KEY' comes up on the display, but the barrel will not turn.
Eventually, you can persuade it by turning the steering wheel a bit whilst trying with the main switch, but it's not consistent. It defo feels like a mechanical problem.
Anybody any ideas? Is it something I can fix, or is it off to the dealers? I don't suppose for one minute, if it's a new barrel it'll be cheap - LOL

I have the same issue with my K12 keyless.
It was deteriorating till last week, but the last 10 times I started it - it turns without a glitch.
Soon I will remove the cover around the steering wheel and give it a good WD-40 spray, or something that will keep it lubricated.

Our micra does not have keyless entry, but we had a few issue with the key getting stuck on starter motor (not good). WD40 did the trick and has not happened since.

it a common fault it when the pin inserts on the column and the wheel has been locked with some force just take tension off and turn hope this helps you i get 2 of these a week at work

it a common fault it when the pin inserts on the column and the wheel has been locked with some force just take tension off and turn hope this helps you i get 2 of these a week at work

Thanks Matt, but HOW do I fix it permanently? It keeps happening...

Oh, and now the filler cap release latch is broken grr

try not to lock the wheel when under tension that all i can say on the matter or replace the barrel as with the fuel catch it can be done in 10mins witha new cable and modified catch

Tazmaniac

Did you ever resolve your ignition barel problem? I've got exactly what you've described... Sometimes I give up after 10-15 mins of trying.

Tazmaniac

Did you ever resolve your ignition barel problem? I've got exactly what you've described... Sometimes I give up after 10-15 mins of trying.

I've just had this happen to my 53 plate 85PS dCi, I had it intermittently for a few months this summer, but I used to give the steering wheel a wiggle and used to be able to get it to start, then I started not locking the car (i.e. leaving the barrel half turned), but last week it gave up on me totally, ironically after I'd managed to get it to the WLMG Nissan dealership in Slough. They are charging me £415.30 to replace the ignition barrel and recode keys etc. :down:

omg 1.2 keyless again, I have a 1.2se keyless Micra and now I suffering same problem here, it's so difficult to turn the key(knob) to release the steering lock, affer that it's no problem at all, and it's geting worse, I afraid Im not able to unlock it again next time...

Back