K12 Rear Disc Brake Conversion Using Clio Parts

This subject may have been covered before however has anybody actually completed the job, rear drums on any car perform perfectly adequately however they just look awful.

My research leads me to believe that it is a relatively easy swap over in terms of fitting the rear beam axle from a Clio onto a Micra as the parts from both cars are essentially the same with some differences only in the brake lines and the issue with the ABS sensor, is this correct, has anyone done this conversion?

I've heard an alternative is to use the disc brake stub axles from a suitably equipped Clio which apparently also physically fit on a Micra, can anyone confirm this either way?

Don't know about conversion, yes Clio MK3 and early Modus had similar set ups, but as for hand brake set up this would a serious reworking. try renewing rear brakes including the back plates and get the drums CHROME PLATED:unsure: would give you the same effect, as for the braking power the large shoes used for the lightweight Micra are strong enough to lock up the rear wheels at speed with the hand brake. So It's up to you, do you go to all that work to modify a system that is more than adequate for the job and is weather protected or not.

I agree it'd be a lot of work, as I said it would be purely for the aesthetic appeal not as a performance upgrade, as ugly as they are I know the drums do a perfectly adequate job. I do not think the conversion would be drastically difficult, regarding the handbrake, how hard can it be, essentially in very simplistic engineering terms it's just a handle that operates a cable, the brake force distribution between front and rear would be trickier, again not insurmountable problem.

Here are photos of the rear of the Micra drum and Clio disc hubs, as you can see they are a straight 4 x bolt on replacement, just some minor adjustments to the handbrake cables, brake lines and ABS system to figure out.

Micra rear drum hub.jpg

Clio rear disc hub.png

Just check the measurement of the centre of the wheel hub to the centre of the axle beam and cross check this with the Clio axle measurements?if both measure the same that will allow the wheel and suspension to be at the correct height when you install the new axle. It's all about checking the maths out before hand, then all will go Ok with no nasty surprises.:giggle:

Today I bought the parts I need from a MK3 Clio Renaultsport for the disc conversion, not expecting it go smoothly, stranger things have happened though, crazy fun, progress report to follow...

Update: I got the whole beam axle in great condition with good discs, hubs, excellent callipers, handbrake cables and brake lines for a jolly decent price, in fact I'd have paid more for just the callipers. I will not be swapping over the whole axle in one piece because these Clio hubs are 5 hole and the centre bore is bigger I knew I'd have to get new hubs and discs to suit Micra wheels those hubs come from Clio GT so nice and cheap, I intend to punt on the parts I do not use with a view to achieving the realistic target to breaking even and recouping my outlay.

John_D

Club Member
Radio Code Guru
Very interesting. I suspect that the only stumbling block might be the handbrake connection at the calipers. I doubt that the Micra drum brake cable set up will be compatible, but a set of Clio rear disc handbrake cables would hopefully be a straight fix and connect OK to the handbrake lever in the K12, being built on the same floorpan...

Very interesting. I suspect that the only stumbling block might be the handbrake connection at the calipers. I doubt that the Micra drum brake cable set up will be compatible, but a set of Clio rear disc handbrake cables would hopefully be a straight fix and connect OK to the handbrake lever in the K12, being built on the same floorpan...

Indeed, I have the handbrake cables from the Clio. I am getting the 4 hole hubs and bearings etc and will have a play around with the conversion at some point soon.

If you have the Handbrake cables from the Clio, it may be a good idea to check their length (cable and housings) against the Micra spec to see if you are in the same ball park?:unsure: