K12 Lowering Springs?

Mika The Finn

Site Supporter
Hello Cameron,
With 185/50-16 tires, diameter 591mm, clearance is ~45mm. Hopefully this helps you ;)
-Mika-

Micra%20lowered_zpsskpomw1l.jpg

Last edited:

John_D

Club Member
Radio Code Guru
Hello Cameron,
With 185/50-16 tires, diameter 591mm, clearance is ~45mm. Hopefully this helps you ;)
-Mika-

Micra%20lowered_zpsskpomw1l.jpg
Looking good Mika:cool:. Just checked my standard Sport + (with the same size wheels and tyres as your SR) and tyre top to wheel arch is around 90mm! When you put the shorter springs in yours did you fit shorter rear dampers? I'm mildly concerned with the shorter springs being unseated from the lower support, on full re-bound, if the travel of the suspension isn't reduced at the same time as fitting shorter springs............
Not sure if I want to lower mine much, as I fairly regularly end up ferrying my eldest son and a couple of his (heavy weight) mates to rugby matches, suspect that the car would be sitting on the bump stops!:eek:

John_D

Club Member
Radio Code Guru
If you have fitted 20-30mm lowering springs in yours Mika, then I suspect that your SR, if it was factory fitted with the optional 'Sport' suspension, was 25mm or so lower than the Sport + as standard........The factory fitted 'Sports' suspension would have purple band marked dampers, as opposed to blue band marked ones, what are yours? Other than stiffer than standard, perhaps the Sports suspension rear dampers are shorter than standard as well?

Mika The Finn

Site Supporter
When I get home I will check original springs
If you have fitted 20-30mm lowering springs in yours Mika, then I suspect that your SR, if it was factory fitted with the optional 'Sport' suspension, was 25mm or so lower than the Sport + as standard........The factory fitted 'Sports' suspension would have purple band marked dampers, as opposed to blue band marked ones, what are yours? Other than stiffer than standard, perhaps the Sports suspension rear dampers are shorter than standard as well?
John, where in dampers these bands are located? Are they visible without tearing anything to parts?

John_D

Club Member
Radio Code Guru
When I get home I will check original springs

John, where in dampers these bands are located? Are they visible without tearing anything to parts?
Hi Mika,
Just checked with the Nissan parts website and the colour band designating standard or Sports suspension is on the rear spring not the damper.
As you still have your old springs have a look at them for the telltale colour band.
There is a part number stamped in the metal at the bottom of the shock absorber, just above the lower eye, sadly obscured by the tyre so would need jacking and the wheel removing to read. TheNissan parts website confirms that the non 'sports suspension' shock absorber for the 1.6 K12 is the same as the only one listed for my Sport+, 'E6210AX602' There is however a 'sports suspension' alternative for your SR, which is 'E6210BC40B or C'
Like wise the rear springs are different, part numbers being 55020AX601 for non sports, designated by a blue band and 55020BC40A, designated by a purple band.
I would assume that all SR's were fitted with sports suspension as standard but the 1.6 CC's had the standard suspension....
In which case, had you been in the UK, I would be offering to buy your discarded Sports Suspension springs and probably reduce the tyre to wheel arch gap by about 25mm:D
I have also been looking at the Clio Sports197 as a source of stiffer, and probably shorter, rear dampers, need to reduce the body roll a bit when cornering 'enthusiastically':rolleyes: