K12 Heavy Steering, no dash lights 1st post!

First post - just purchased a 2010 K12 Micra with 51,000 on the clock and having driven it I notice the steering seems heavier than I'd expect, it's not super heavy (i.e no power steering at all) but it just seems a lot heavier than other cars I've driven.

Got a little terrified after reading some of the issues on this forum about the electronic power steering! But, there is no lights on the dash and it's just heavy, not super heavy..... so wondering what people think , and what I can test to investigate it further. BTW - already checked the tyres are pumped!

Thanks!

Last edited:

huttojb

Club Member
EPS System Guru
Would image the units been changed but the incorrect tune is selected. The tune needs to be mapped to engine type.

Would image the units been changed but the incorrect tune is selected. The tune needs to be mapped to engine type.
Thanks for the quick reply, is there any way of me telling that the unit has already been changed? I could probably live with it staying heavy (although it's my wife's car but she hasn't started driving it yet so might have a different opinion), I'm most worried about it being an early sign of catastrophic failure!

huttojb

Club Member
EPS System Guru
Check the ignition bolts, as these are snap off bolts you can see if someone has tampering or changed them, it’s a good indicator.
where you located?

huttojb

Club Member
EPS System Guru
If you fancy a drive to Birmingham I’m happy to have a look. The ignition bolts is what holds the ignition to the column. You’ll have to remove the cowling to look.

If you fancy a drive to Birmingham I’m happy to have a look. The ignition bolts is what holds the ignition to the column. You’ll have to remove the cowling to look.
Hi, I checked it out last night and looks to me like the bolts holding the ignition to steering column are original snap-off type, good tip!

Is there anything else I can check/try/lubricate etc? I was looking through the cars history and 1000miles ago it had new front suspension arms, coils, stabiliser link and the tracking done. Thanks

huttojb

Club Member
EPS System Guru
Not really. The eps is very self contained with no maintenance. It’s an electronic device so therefore no maintenance required unless faulty. You may have to take a trip to sunny Birmingham. Happy to look for you.

This is my first post on here.
My mothers having problems with the power steering on her 2004 k12 micra.
last year she had a couple of problems with it on startup but on restarting it it seemed ok.
Now the ps light has come on and it’s time to do something about it.
I’ve take the steering column out at see if it was something fixable but nothing obvious.
I have now read lots of posts on here and it seems that @hubbojb is the man to get help/advice from. Could you please get in touch
Also can anyone advice on the best, cheapest obd to read codes and reset the password light on this car
Many thanks
David

Last edited:
last year she had a couple of problems with it on startup but on restarting it it seemed ok.
I’ve take the steering column out at see if it was something fixable but nothing obvious.
I have now read lots of posts on here and it seems that @hubbojb is the man to get help/advice from. Could you please get in touch
Also can anyone advice on the best, cheapest obd to read codes and reset the password light on this car
Many thanks
David
Sorry that should be reset the ps light
Thanks

Last edited:

huttojb

Club Member
EPS System Guru
Hey, wouldn’t put your mobile number on a public thread, but texted you anyway. I would edit and remove your mobile number if I was you.

I have now read lots of posts on here and it seems that @hubbojb is the man to get help/advice from. Could you please get in touch 07903799640
Many thanks
David
Not sure that "best and cheapest" often go hand-in-hand, but I've used this one on my K12 that works fine for reading and re-setting codes, only a tenner:

I tried my cheap bluetooth OBD reader but didn't work for some reason (but works ok on other cars)....

Thank you for responding to my post and a big thank you to huttojb for getting in touch and providing me with a solution for my power steering issue. Jason is extremely knowledgeable and genuinely wants to help. I highly recommend him to anyone else with a power steering problem.
Thanks Jason!

huttojb

Club Member
EPS System Guru
Thank you for responding to my post and a big thank you to huttojb for getting in touch and providing me with a solution for my power steering issue. Jason is extremely knowledgeable and genuinely wants to help. I highly recommend him to anyone else with a power steering problem.
Thanks Jason!
Thank you.