K12 Handbrake stopping power

I am teaching my son to drive in a 2010 K12 Micra and sometimes want to use the handbrake to slow or stop the car. The handbrake has not got great stopping power and I was wondering what should I expect? When the car is rolling the handbrake will not bring the car to a stop, not for a long long distance anyway. Is this normal for the K12?

I have inspected the rear shoes, they have plenty of material left, and have adjusted them to sit close to the hub surface. The car has great stopping power using the foot break. Handbrake turns are out of the question at the moment ?

You should never put on the handbrake while moving unless it's an emergency.

Not normal, probably just needs cleaned and adjusted, made a huge difference to ours.

Mika The Finn

Site Supporter
You should never put on the handbrake while moving unless it's an emergency.

Not normal, probably just needs cleaned and adjusted, made a huge difference to ours.
14753752.jpg

Get two new hub nuts and remove the outer drums, as this is a powerful shoe brake system for the light K12, As is usual people tend to not check the working components as is common with these,it is: "out of sight is out of mind" the shoes and mechanisms need checking and cleaning ever time you feel the need to keep adjusting the cable. these shoes when working properly will lock the rear wheels. but NOT TO STOP THE CAR AS THIS CAN CAUSE ALL SORTS OF STEERING CONTROL PROBLEMS & DEFINITELY NOT WITH A LEARNER!!!!!!!!!!