K12 Brakes/Bearing help please

Hi guys, got a problem on my girlfriends K12 1.2 micra and I had a search around and didnt find a topic that matched perfectly but did comment in one for K11 rear brakes - hope thats ok?

The problem we have had is a noise that started to occur and has got louder over the last few months (the car is not used that often as only weekend use but some long journeys in this time) The noise is generally a humming kinda noise and sounded like a bearing. It also only starts at around 40mph and gets worse especially at about 64mph. It doesnt seem to be engine or gearbox related as if you take it out of gear and rev while moving the noise stays the same/isnt altered by revs or by being out of gear.

Initially i had a good look round and checked the tyres and the rear rear passenger side seemed to have slightly irregular wear (more on outter edge) so still looked like bearing, but there was no play when i jacked it up and tryed to move side to side or up/down. I hoped the problem would worsen and then we could get some movement to prove bearing.

I also tryed swapping the offending tyre and tried the spacesaver spare etc but no reduction in noise so its not the tyre wear causing the noise.

Anyway, it has got worse as i say and still no play in the wheel BUT when i spun the wheel (while jacked up) there was a noise but more like a mild brake binding noise. Furthermore, on the last test drive the brake warning and ABS warning lights have come on. The fluid level has dropped in the reservoir. Do i presume that the shoes are low and this is what is causing the light to come on (thats how my Primera works and when brakes replaced the fluid goes up and no more problem)

Would this cause the ABS light to come on aswell though? (it doesnt on my Primera)
I tested the ABS and it deffinately wasnt working as it locked up the rear wheels when i tried an emergency stop.

So what I wanna check is the rear brake shoes first but dont have any experience of these K12 drums as my old K10 micra it was just removed with a few taps and pulls but it seems this is held on with something or the whole hub needs to come off?

Also if anyone else had this similar kindof fault and found it to be a wheel bearing or if it is just a brake issue etc?

Sorry for the long post but I like to give as much info as possible as I find when I help others the more info the easier it is! :)

Thanks upfront and hope can get this sorted! :)

The problem this has worsened

gtsnissanb

Official MSC Trader
Hi guys, got a problem on my girlfriends K12 1.2 micra and I had a search around and didnt find a topic that matched perfectly but did comment in one for K11 rear brakes - hope thats ok?

The problem we have had is a noise that started to occur and has got louder over the last few months (the car is not used that often as only weekend use but some long journeys in this time) The noise is generally a humming kinda noise and sounded like a bearing. It also only starts at around 40mph and gets worse especially at about 64mph. It doesnt seem to be engine or gearbox related as if you take it out of gear and rev while moving the noise stays the same/isnt altered by revs or by being out of gear.

Initially i had a good look round and checked the tyres and the rear rear passenger side seemed to have slightly irregular wear (more on outter edge) so still looked like bearing, but there was no play when i jacked it up and tryed to move side to side or up/down. I hoped the problem would worsen and then we could get some movement to prove bearing.

I also tryed swapping the offending tyre and tried the spacesaver spare etc but no reduction in noise so its not the tyre wear causing the noise.

Anyway, it has got worse as i say and still no play in the wheel BUT when i spun the wheel (while jacked up) there was a noise but more like a mild brake binding noise. Furthermore, on the last test drive the brake warning and ABS warning lights have come on. The fluid level has dropped in the reservoir. Do i presume that the shoes are low and this is what is causing the light to come on (thats how my Primera works and when brakes replaced the fluid goes up and no more problem)

Would this cause the ABS light to come on aswell though? (it doesnt on my Primera)
I tested the ABS and it deffinately wasnt working as it locked up the rear wheels when i tried an emergency stop.

So what I wanna check is the rear brake shoes first but dont have any experience of these K12 drums as my old K10 micra it was just removed with a few taps and pulls but it seems this is held on with something or the whole hub needs to come off?

Also if anyone else had this similar kindof fault and found it to be a wheel bearing or if it is just a brake issue etc?

Sorry for the long post but I like to give as much info as possible as I find when I help others the more info the easier it is! :)

Thanks upfront and hope can get this sorted! :)

The problem this has worsened

Definately sounds like the shoes have gone buddy, or the pads and a wheel bearing or all 3. Take the drum off and have a look, if they are held on it will most likely be a screw or tor-x, might be tight and need an impact driver
I it's a similar set up to Renault from memory it's a T45 tor-x

OP
OP
T
Thanks Frank! :) Have had a good look on his website but unfortunately couldnt see anything on rear brakes. i will send him a PM and see if he can help :) Cheersagain and if anyone else has any thoughts on this, please let me know :)

OP
OP
T
Definately sounds like the shoes have gone buddy, or the pads and a wheel bearing or all 3. Take the drum off and have a look, if they are held on it will most likely be a screw or tor-x, might be tight and need an impact driver

Cheers mate :) The front pads are deffo ok so just leaves the other two to check! DO really need to check those rear shoes - can someone advise me on how to get at them please? How do I get the drum offf?

gtsnissanb

Official MSC Trader
Cheers mate :) The front pads are deffo ok so just leaves the other two to check! DO really need to check those rear shoes - can someone advise me on how to get at them please? How do I get the drum offf?

Read the bottom of my post dude ;) make sure the hand brake is off, and the adjusters may need winding in

frank

Club Member

remove the centre nut and pull i believe (clio-esque)

OP
OP
T
I couldnt see any signs of a screw or torx head when i looked before but both sides seemed to be held fast with no movement using all the old fashioned methods of prising, hitting with a hammer etc :)

OP
OP
T
Sorry guys, wrote the last one before seeing the info :p

Sounds very logical and thought it may be the case but how do you get at the centre nut please, cos couldnt seem to find how to remove the metal cover/cap?

gtsnissanb

Official MSC Trader
Sorry guys, wrote the last one before seeing the info :p

Sounds very logical and thought it may be the case but how do you get at the centre nut please, cos couldnt seem to find how to remove the metal cover/cap?

Screw driver and hammer around the circumference in the gap between the cap and the hub, If it's that type or if it's the other type remove the split pin

OP
OP
T
Its not the split pin type, its all covered over but whereas usually you can see a clear join or see where the cap stops and can prise it off, i couldnt find it on these! Tried a screwdriver and hammer on the front part of the cap (where there is a slight recess all the way round) but it didnt even seem to move or separate even a tiny bit so presumed this wasnt right and it was all one bit there.

Are there any floor shop manuals or Haynes etc for the K12 online anywhere?

gtsnissanb

Official MSC Trader
Its not the split pin type, its all covered over but whereas usually you can see a clear join or see where the cap stops and can prise it off, i couldnt find it on these! Tried a screwdriver and hammer on the front part of the cap (where there is a slight recess all the way round) but it didnt even seem to move or separate even a tiny bit so presumed this wasnt right and it was all one bit there.

Are there any floor shop manuals or Haynes etc for the K12 online anywhere?

Around the edge it will be pressed up tight and very stiff it may even have oxidised and covered the gap, I'd wire brush is around the outside of the hub slot the flat head driver in the join a give it a bloody good smack, and move around the circumference it will slowly pop off

OP
OP
T
Ok mate, thanks! I must have been to gentle with it last time then! LOL I did give a good wire brushing and emery paper but still couldnt be sure it was even a join. Now i know I will whack it harder with a bigger hammer! :p

Do you know what size the hub nut is? I know on my Primera the front one is 36mm and think the back is bit smaller but not sure on this one. Might have to borrow a socket from a mate! ;)

gtsnissanb

Official MSC Trader
Ok mate, thanks! I must have been to gentle with it last time then! LOL I did give a good wire brushing and emery paper but still couldnt be sure it was even a join. Now i know I will whack it harder with a bigger hammer! :p

Do you know what size the hub nut is? I know on my Primera the front one is 36mm and think the back is bit smaller but not sure on this one. Might have to borrow a socket from a mate! ;)

I'm not sure tbh but 32,34,36 one of them I'm guessing lol

Guy

Has gone over to the oily side...
Club Member
It's deffo a pressed in cap. I removed mine on the rear and the big nut but it still wouldn't budge. I guess there's probably a big circlip in there somewhere as well. Micras are known for the rear brake cylinders eventually leaking so it could be that as well :).

frank

Club Member
It's deffo a pressed in cap. I removed mine on the rear and the big nut but it still wouldn't budge. I guess there's probably a big circlip in there somewhere as well. Micras are known for the rear brake cylinders eventually leaking so it could be that as well :).

you need a big mofo breaker bar for many rear hub nuts guy (the k11 ones are 220nm for instance :eek:)

Guy

Club Member
I got the nut off no problem Frank (had to order a socket off the bay). The drum still wouldn't budge at all. I think there's probably a circlip in there as well somewhere.

gtsnissanb

Official MSC Trader
I got the nut off no problem Frank (had to order a socket off the bay). The drum still wouldn't budge at all. I think there's probably a circlip in there as well somewhere.

I know it might be a bit useless mate but if you want a second pair of eyes/hands/tools and it's not stripped down you can pop up to my house and I'll give you a hand, as I said in the past the only thing I ain't got Is a bearing press. I'm good at getting off drums

OP
OP
T
Hi again! I never updated this thread but in the end it was two new rear wheel bearings that were required as both were fubared! Bit crazy that a car needs both rear bearings done on only 50k but it was exactly that. I bought a 2 kits off ebay for £12.50 each! Only slight issues were that one of the bearing needed a quick run round with emery to make sure it would slide ontothe shaft ok and also the new nuts in the kits werent flanged ones so i reused the old nuts instead. Also reused the old hub caps cos they were fine still.

To get the drum off Guy, make sure the handbrake is off of course then get two people ideally and one of you tapping/hammering the side of the drum a bit and the other one prising the drum off and should be easy enough - it was for us and there deffo isnt a circlip (only clip is inside the drum to hold the bearing in) :)

OP
OP
T
PS. the rear passenger side had slightly irregular wear to the shoes (top of left hand one was thinner) and we squared everything up and made sure it was all free etc (which it was) and i topped up the brake fluid and fingers crossed the brake or ABS lights havent come on since (they only came on once on that one test anyway which was weird cos the next time we used the car it didnt happen even before i had the drums off!!)

Guy

Club Member
Ace Tom, was going to post and say it sounds like bearings - it's a very distinct noise. Has my rear passenger one done at 97,000. Fingers crossed the other one's ok still :).