K12 Airbag light being weird

Jay101

Black&Yellow
Hi guys, hope this can help my garage out, we are all stumped.

Have a k12 dci micra in a the moment. Recently installed a alternator, few days later complained of a drained battery.

This was caused by the airbag light. Switch the ignition ON light is present for a few seconds and distinguishes, start engine, fine no problems, switch engine off and the air bag light re appears and stays lit until you have to switch ignition on and back off again.

Any ideas, oh plugged in diagnostics, no fault codes...

Is there a reset or anything...any ideas? Thanks

I'm not sure if this will help but I've had a problem before with my air bag light staying on when there's no reason for it
...it had something to do with a shock to the system in my case (where the passenger seat had been pushed forward then snapped back rapidly)

...there is a reset trick you should try ;)
I found 2 versions...this is the one that worked for me....
http://www.micra.org.uk/threads/airbag-warning-light-flashing.52403/#post-534429
Jen319 said:
First turn off the radio and switch the ignition off.
Then…

1. Turn the ignition from off to on.

2. The airbag warning light will stay on for approx 7 seconds, as soon as it goes off (within 1 sec) turn off ignition.

3. Wait for more than 3 seconds.

4. Repeat steps 1- 3 two more times. In my case I had to give it 7 goes

5. Turn ignition switch back on again.

Now turn off the ignition for at least one second and then back on.

This should now have reset the light. If the light comes back on again then it would be fair to say that you have an airbag fault.

Do not turn the engine on...just the ingnition to the "on" position

the other version has something to do with depressing the drivers door shut spring reppetedly...but I'm not sure on that one...
if it doesn't work after 6 or 7 goes there may be something actually wrong :(

I'lll go have a look at the note I wrote myself last time and see if I can tell you the other version too :p

ah :oops:
...perhaps that is what the other version was :( ...

I'll be back in a minute...I'm sure I still have it in my baby's folder...

...Right...found it...

It says...

1. Open drivers door and turn ignition on

2. press the drivers door switch 5 times within 7 seconds

3.The airbag control unit is now in diagnostics mode

4. Turn the ignition off and wait 15 seconds

The diagnostic fault codes will have now been erased...

I tried this one on mine first...and it didn't work...but I have a standard key...so hopefully *fingers crossed*

I just Hope one or the other works for you :p

ETA: Just to let you know I did a search around other forums and as far as I can find the first one (that did work for my K12) is like a standard across the nissan range I found it on the almera owners club site and the nissan sport site (for a 350Z)
...so probably worth keeping in you notes for future forays with Nissan airbag warning light errors ;)

Have finally sussed the problem, ever since we replaced the alternator it would happen. We rang the local motor factors who phone called there supplier to ask of any faults with the item. To which they said "Yeh the k12 micra doesn't really like pattern alternators." Seems plausible :rolleyes:

Back