K12 (2004) Power Steering Fix

i Guys,
I'm new on here so please bear with me.
Ive actually posted this on anther thread, but that doesnt seem as new so posting on here as well.
I have a problem with EPAS on nissan micra k12 1,2 sport on a 56 plate
I have been trawling the internet for second hand unit for EPAS control unit and motor.
I note that there seems to be multiple part units used for the lifespan of this model.
My question is, do I need to have a unit with the exact same part number or will any unit for any nissan micra k12 do the job.
Also am I better getting a second hand part or getting someone like acspowersteering to refurbish my existing unit.
I can easily get a second hand unit but finding it hard to source one with the same part number.

I hope someone can offer advice on this.

I attach photo of unit showing part number for info.

Attachments

• Nissan-Micra-K12-epas.jpg
    Nissan-Micra-K12-epas.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:
Greetings, fellow Nissan Micra K12 owners,

I've been digging extensively into the persistent power steering (PS) issue plaguing Micra K12 owners and wanted to share some insights and seek advice. In my home country, there used to be an old ECU expert who could fix these PS columns, but he stopped due to the recurring nature of the problem.

According to this ECU expert, the PS issue might be linked to the battery/alternator system. His theory suggests that the PS column ECU is highly sensitive to voltage fluctuations. We managed to temporarily resolve the problem by resetting the c1606 and c1608 error codes and installing a new fully charged battery (VARTA SILVER Dynamic 52Ah, 12V, C6). Additionally we triplechecked all electrical connections, soldered on some new contact surfaces for fuses etc. However, the error codes recently returned. Our battery, without a load, after the error codes returned measures 12.4V, which corresponds to 50% charge according to the manual of the battery. Our ECU expert believes this could be the root cause, as the PS ECU is according to him susceptible to battery glitches during periods of lower charge.

I'd like to continue investigating this theory by resetting the c1606 and c1608 codes again, then monitoring the battery's state of charge closely after installing a new alternator. Unfortunately, the ECU expert does not want to participate in this anymore and told us to go to Nissan to get teh errors erased. I plan to do so but anticipate potential challenges, including high costs or suggestions for a costly column replacement.

Now, my primary question is: Is there a way to reset the c1606 and C1608 codes ourselves so that we can continue using the car and gather data to support or refute our voltage glitch theory?

Additionally, should not we initiate class action lawsuit agains Nissan? I think it is absolutely clear that this must be a design flaw judging by the sheer amounts of people plagued by this issue. I suspect they just want to sell their PS column replacements...

Any advice, insights, or shared experiences would be greatly appreciated.

Greetings, fellow Nissan Micra K12 owners,

I've been digging extensively into the persistent power steering (PS) issue plaguing Micra K12 owners and wanted to share some insights and seek advice. In my home country, there used to be an old ECU expert who could fix these PS columns, but he stopped due to the recurring nature of the problem.

According to this ECU expert, the PS issue might be linked to the battery/alternator system. His theory suggests that the PS column ECU is highly sensitive to voltage fluctuations. We managed to temporarily resolve the problem by resetting the c1606 and c1608 error codes and installing a new fully charged battery (VARTA SILVER Dynamic 52Ah, 12V, C6). Additionally we triplechecked all electrical connections, soldered on some new contact surfaces for fuses etc. However, the error codes recently returned. Our battery, without a load, after the error codes returned measures 12.4V, which corresponds to 50% charge according to the manual of the battery. Our ECU expert believes this could be the root cause, as the PS ECU is according to him susceptible to battery glitches during periods of lower charge.

I'd like to continue investigating this theory by resetting the c1606 and c1608 codes again, then monitoring the battery's state of charge closely after installing a new alternator. Unfortunately, the ECU expert does not want to participate in this anymore and told us to go to Nissan to get teh errors erased. I plan to do so but anticipate potential challenges, including high costs or suggestions for a costly column replacement.

Now, my primary question is: Is there a way to reset the c1606 and C1608 codes ourselves so that we can continue using the car and gather data to support or refute our voltage glitch theory?

Additionally, should not we initiate class action lawsuit agains Nissan? I think it is absolutely clear that this must be a design flaw judging by the sheer amounts of people plagued by this issue. I suspect they just want to sell their PS column replacements...

Any advice, insights, or shared experiences would be greatly appreciated.

Quote: “Any advice, insights, or shared experiences would be greatly appreciated”.

May I suggest that you read some of the multiple reliability & maintenance issues with the K12 Micra that have been substantively established in facts collated & listed in the public domain for many years.

This may assist in concluding whether it is worthwhile spending time (ten minutes) investigating just one (EPS) of its multiple reliability issues?

Nissan Micra (2003 – 2010) Review | Honest John

Perhaps life is too short & there are better more productive profitable things to be getting on with?

Last edited:
Update : I managed to get a secondhand unit from a 2007 Micra steering code 48810BC00B ....
It works fine but the immobiliser comes on after ten minutes or so of driving. Can this used unit be programmed in or does it have to be told it's lhd because of the dongle ?
Many thanks
Ken
Did you ever get this immobiliser light fixed? I’ve got the same thing! (I should probably read further down before I ask this but I don’t want to lose the comment haha)

Did you ever get this immobiliser light fixed? I’ve got the same thing! (I should probably read further down before I ask this but I don’t want to lose the comment haha)
Hi Deeefg,
Update. I also bought a second hand unit from Scrappy, The part number was different. Once fitted and reprogrammed. power steering worked fine bar one side affect you are having - The NATS(Nissan Anti theft System) light comes on after 5 mins of driving. It does not affect the driving at all and have been told the NATS light coming on does not cause an MOT failure.
However if you disconnect the battery the car will not start, due to immobiliser kicking in. To get round this simply put key in and turn to Acc position and leave for max 20 mins. Car then starts no problem. I'm not sure how long you have to leave the key in position but it is somewhere between 10 and 20 mins.
Given this I trawled various forum boards leading me to try the following to get rid of the light.

1) Remove immobiliser fuse and replace
2) disconnect battery and reconnect after 1 hr
3) disconnect battery and reconnect after 24 hours.

This has apparently worked for some but alas not for me.

If I come across a solution I will update the board, but for now will just put up with the light coming on.

Anyone with any suggestion would be gratefully received though.