K12 (2004) Power Steering Fix

My dad's '04 K12 Power steering stopped working a month ago. At the time he had a scan done and the codes were reset. It worked for a week an the fault came back. (From Consult II the faults were (relating to power steering): motor fault and control unit fault. Called Nissan and got the relevant part number for the entire steering unit ( 44810-AX003) as neither just the motor or control unit could be replaced or serviced (according to Nissan). The cost new for this part is 1759.00 vat inclusive...ouch!! no way !
Well, the new part was not an option, so we got a mechanic to remove the unit, took it to an electrician friend who serviced the motor and control unit (so much for Nissan saying it can't be serviced) The electrician re soldered all parts in the unit that could be soldered and that was it.
The unit was replaced, the Consult II was used to re scan and clear the codes (note that the engineer (who works for Nissan) indicated that due to the wiring set up on the Micra, fault codes trickle to many other parts of the car at the same time) so many codes had to be reset!
All working fine now , approx. one month later.
I'm posting this as a possible fix to anyone else who may encounter PS problems.

My dad's '04 K12 Power steering stopped working a month ago. At the time he had a scan done and the codes were reset. It worked for a week an the fault came back. (From Consult II the faults were (relating to power steering): motor fault and control unit fault. Called Nissan and got the relevant part number for the entire steering unit ( 44810-AX003) as neither just the motor or control unit could be replaced or serviced (according to Nissan). The cost new for this part is 1759.00 vat inclusive...ouch!! no way !
Well, the new part was not an option, so we got a mechanic to remove the unit, took it to an electrician friend who serviced the motor and control unit (so much for Nissan saying it can't be serviced) The electrician re soldered all parts in the unit that could be soldered and that was it.
The unit was replaced, the Consult II was used to re scan and clear the codes (note that the engineer (who works for Nissan) indicated that due to the wiring set up on the Micra, fault codes trickle to many other parts of the car at the same time) so many codes had to be reset!
All working fine now , approx. one month later.
I'm posting this as a possible fix to anyone else who may encounter PS problems.
I'm sorry but when I read this I had to laugh.

The motor is NOT servicable and shouldn't be removed from the system. I I promise you the "electrian" wouldn't be able to re-solder all the parts within the system unless he know what he was doing and even then you wouldn't do it.

wiring set up on the Micra, fault codes trickle to many other parts of the car at the same time) so many codes had to be reset!
And this comment is not correct, His talking about the CAN system and no system failing should effect any other system within the vehicle. If you paid this bloke I would ask for you money back cos all his done is cleared the EPS Fault Code.

I hope the system wasn't rotated whiles it was out of the vehicle as the system has an alighnment and should be kept to straight ahead, if this is changed you vehicle will pull to one side or stop the active straight ahead positioning and raise a fault code with the EPS system again.

Let me know WHEN you have more problems as this will create more problems then you original had.

Jason.

Considering I've worked with the K12 EPS system for the last 7 years and know everything about the system (and I mean everything), I've got the advantage at the moment.

zanes

Ex. Club Member
Probably. Anyhow, either the OP will come back a <i> little </i> annoyed, or it'll turn out something interesting is happening (whatever that maybe)

Considering I've worked with the K12 EPS system for the last 7 years and know everything about the system (and I mean everything), I've got the advantage at the moment.

I personally very rarely use electronic or computer diagnosis for the simple fact that fault codes very very rarely provide a correct diagnosis. Only ever used by me as a hint in the right direction. Seen parts changed many a times by main dealers because computers told them so.

All parts of a car are serviceable to a degree and lets face it faced with a price tag of £1800 your going to take the risk.

Hello there I got a nissan micra k12 with the same PS light problem and I want to know If theres a cheap or easy way to fix it?
I don't live on Uk.

Thank you

Hey.

Have you read; https://www.micra.org.uk/threads/eps-power-steering-column-what-actually-goes-wrong.66451/

Unfortunately I decided to hang my helping cape up (read the last few post) Sorry, I did not appreciate the comments I received, even know I helped over 25 people on this forum. Never had anyone who I helped say a bad word, but unfortunately you have some di@@@ that think they know best.

Please do not do what is suggested in this link with the NVM chip.

You may need to go to Nissan and get an aftermarket one. Unfortunately they do cost over £1000.

Jason.

Thank you
Hey.

Have you read; https://www.micra.org.uk/threads/eps-power-steering-column-what-actually-goes-wrong.66451/

Unfortunately I decided to hang my helping cape up (read the last few post) Sorry, I did not appreciate the comments I received, even know I helped over 25 people on this forum. Never had anyone who I helped say a bad word, but unfortunately you have some di@@@ that think they know best.

Please do not do what is suggested in this link with the NVM chip.

You may need to go to Nissan and get an aftermarket one. Unfortunately they do cost over £1000.

Jason.
thank you Jason. I’ve managed to get a shaftec reman unit. Hopefully it all goes well lol

Out of interest, how much was this?
lukily I work for a small family owend motorfactors so I got it at cost price which was just short of £400, normal trade price would be around £500 so not too bad really, Just got to fit it now. Customer of ours is letting me use his workshop so should be ok. had technical info from shaftec about straight ahead, erasing codes and disconecting the battery so fingers crossed.