• Please only use these forums for blogs, they are not a discussion forum

K12 160SR Project

I got a 160SR badge for the front grill. I'm looking for opinions to help make the decision wither to go for the badges in gloss black or keep chrome. I'm not sure if the 160SR badge would just be hidden against the black on the grill (it's one held on from the back).
Also, would the March grill allow me to fit such a badge? I take it these grills require the March headlights with indicators? If I'm right, they were removed to the headlights. They are very expensive just the grill alone, so no sure about that conversion.
Other possibility is badges and chrome strip in black or leave as is? I'm just thinking about some possible styling for the car, to make it unique.

Some pics from my first meet with a modded car. All cleaned and polished beforehand. Great evening. 2 K11s and a nice standard K10 were there.

dsc_4033-jpg.53945

dsc_4034-jpg.53946

dsc_40311-jpg.53947

Attachments

• DSC_4033.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 1,239
  • DSC_4034.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 1,197
  • DSC_40311.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 1,290
I bought stickers for my mudflaps and they sent completly the wrong ones. I contacted them and they said keep the wrong ones and they send the right ones. Therefore anyone want them? They are for sticking onto the outside of the windows or bodywork, just cover postage cost and they are yours.

stickers-png.53962

Attachments

• Stickers.png
    Stickers.png
    217.8 KB · Views: 1,195
Last edited:
Tomorrow the car goes for lowering 30mm! I have the rally mudflaps to get fitted and a 160SR grill badge. Should look great when done. Pics will follow when I get it done.

Yes. Feels stiffer and better on corners. I'll need to drive it more to look out for the difference.
I've still got my stickers to apply. I'll do that Sunday hopefully. I'll get it washed and polished for the meet comming up.

I'm looking for ideas on the wheel colour, I'm not sure about black anymore if it work with all that blue, was toying with blue as the flaps are, but just not sure. I just don't want to get it all right, for the wheels to let it down. Any ideas be helpful on that.

John_D

Club Member
Radio Code Guru
I'm looking for ideas on the wheel colour, I'm not sure about black anymore if it work with all that blue, was toying with blue as the flaps are, but just not sure. I just don't want to get it all right, for the wheels to let it down. Any ideas be helpful on that.
Well THESE are the people that I used to get the wheels on my Saab refurbished, they do some awesome special colours, I think that the blue/anthracite variation in their gallery would look the dogs on your car:cool:
black-blue1.jpg

John_D

Club Member
Radio Code Guru
I would love that but I'm in Edinburgh, so too far for me
Might be possible to get someone local to do the wheels in anthracite and the raised part of the spokes in metallic blue? Sadly the OEM SR wheels have no real defined outside rim to pick out :( (and they are the worst wheels that I've ever had on a car for catching on a kerb:mad:)

Trouble is is most local places don't do 2 colours, but I'll ask around. There are those coloured rubber strips that can be fitted round the wheels, that protects them

Mika The Finn

Site Supporter
Just a thought, 3M makes blue reflective film with very strong adhesive. If needed to remove, it comes off in small pieces.
Blue color is almost same as in Johns wheels. Then you would have glow in the dark wheels ;)

I'm in contact with the same garage to see if they would do something similar to your suggestion on the alloys, John. hopefully by the end of August I'll have the car finished. They've done a fab job on the car, very pleased with it. Then I'll get out a show it off. :)

Last edited:

John_D

Club Member
Radio Code Guru
Some on I know that's into cars, suggested replacing the alloys as they don't look right now. They look ok on the car as standard. Any advice on that?
If I was in a financial position to replace the standard 16" alloys on my Micra Callum, I would definitely go for something a bit wider, giving a wider front & rear track and a dished centre, like the ones in this picture.....
d44871ba30c1bed3a13d814d12333d6d.jpg

That car is very nice indeed, but not sure on those wheels. The garage I use recommended these and are going to get me a price.

img_1514-jpg.54424

They are 17" A guy at work will have first refusal on my originals if I go for these. It would need to be someone fairly local that takes my originals. I'll keep you all posted as this is the last a final mod, for some time, so I can recover from the ££££ and just enjoy the car.

Attachments

• IMG_1514.JPG
    IMG_1514.JPG
    658.4 KB · Views: 1,147

John_D

Club Member
Radio Code Guru
That car is very nice indeed, but not sure on those wheels. The garage I use recommended these and are going to get me a price.

img_1514-jpg.54424

They are 17" A guy at work will have first refusal on my originals if I go for these. It would need to be someone fairly local that takes my originals. I'll keep you all posted as this is the last a final mod, for some time, so I can recover from the ££££ and just enjoy the car.
Going to be pricey, especially as they will require a complete set of new tyres (NOT budget ones I hope! :eek:), which is why my choice was based on 7J x 16" replacements, which my current, nearly new, all season Vredestein tyres would fit .Also 17" wheels are going to need 40 profile tyres to keep the rolling radius similar and they will make the ride VERY harsh!
For some inexplicable reason Callum, the original 160SR wheels seem to sell at a premium, I have never seen a straight original wheel sell for anything less than £50 on ebay, more usually around £75 each (seem to remember paying around that for my spare, and having to drive to Birmingham to collect it, all similar wheels in the South East being in excess of £100 o_O) so don't let your old wheels go too cheaply ;)

If anyone wants my original alloys for the 160SR. They do need refurbished, so will bear that in mind. If just PM me with an offer, I'll get photos later. Fife Autocentre have agreed to store them for me, so collection from their Dunfermline branch once payment is agreed.

Mika The Finn

Site Supporter
The car as it is now. Not long till I get the weels fitted and finally finish the car and can get it out to enjoy!

dsc_4383-jpg.54539

dsc_4389-jpg.54540
Yo Callum!
Is your vehicle in pictures above with 30mm lowering spring?
Some how to my eye gap between tire and fender seems high...?
Compared to mine with 25mm lowering, could you take picture directly from left side, I guess you call it off-side, of vehicle to compare?

-Mika-

Micra%20lowered_zpsskpomw1l.jpg

Last edited:
It is a lot lower than it was (think 30mm from standard rather than from a 160SR. It also means I can get the 17s on it and fill the arch nicer. Any lower and it be scraping its arse. It goes in week on Friday for the new wheels,

dsc_4374-jpg.54562

Attachments

• DSC_4374.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 1,089

Mika The Finn

Site Supporter
Exactly, you have achieved only 5mm lower than with your original spring?
In my picture Micra of mine has 7.5x16" rims with original 185/50-16 tires.
For some reason it looks lower than yours...?
-Mika-

Last edited:
They did get 30mm lowering for the 160SR, not a standard car. It will lower over tim better as the suspension gets good use. I did check and they reassured me. It will look better with the 17s on it

Mika The Finn

Site Supporter
Callum, with all due respect!
Look at the pictures, mine is lower with 25mm lowering springs, than yours with 30mm lowering springs...? Regardless sellers assurance, I doubt that you don't have 160 SR 30mm lowering springs...?
Rims and tires are same size. My vehicle sat visibly much lower than with standard springs, without good use. My friend said, after we installed springs, it might be too low for Finnish street & roads. It works fine ;)

-Mika-

Last edited:

Mika The Finn

Site Supporter
I tried with short antenna, radio reception went down the hill big time, here in the Land of the Finns.
Antenna socialized from rental Renault Clio fixed it and in my opinion it's short enough.

Callum, have you checked with seller of springs, are they really meant to 160 SR, with lowering capability of 30mm?
Or did you end up pay £54.00/millimeter for lowering of your vehicle?

-Mika-

I don't really listen to the radio. In that car, I tend to listen to my exhaust note and I have 6 CDs if I need them in the changer. I also keep the car mainly for weekends, so never get bored of it. The Ariel is mainly for looks. I kept the original one.
If don't mind, I'm happy with the lowering job done and the wheels will fill the arches well and I'm happy at that with it, so can we leave it at that on that issue?
The wheels will be the last mod along with a new drivers headlight. I'll post pics when done on Friday some point.
How's your K12 coming along?

That's the wheels and a fresh MOT done now. Drivers headlight is still to be done as it was the wrong one they ordered. Next weeks job.

img_1558-jpg.54713

dsc_4580-jpg.54714

dsc_4581-jpg.54715

dsc_4582-jpg.54716

dsc_4585-jpg.54719

dsc_4586-jpg.54720

Attachments

• IMG_1558.JPG
    IMG_1558.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 999
  • DSC_4580.jpg
    788.9 KB · Views: 990
  • DSC_4582.jpg
    832.8 KB · Views: 1,003
  • DSC_4584.jpg
    719.4 KB · Views: 304
  • DSC_4585.jpg
    733.9 KB · Views: 1,048
  • DSC_4586.jpg
    669.7 KB · Views: 1,071
Last edited:
The drums and calipers need cleaned and painted. I have the paint bought ready. When twisterboy and I are free, we will clean everything up and paint the drums black and calipers blue. Should finish things off nicely

Thanks Deek. You should try for a 160SR. They are very quick and fun for such a small car. I got mine for under £1000! A bargan, considering most I've seen since, are nearly £2000. It was very good condition appart from a tinny bit rust on the roof, which I got sorted. Hopefully you'll get inspired by my project as it nears completion, well for the time beeing. These projects are never finished as there's always something more that can be done to it. :D