• Please only use these forums for blogs, they are not a discussion forum

K12 160SR Project

I thought I'd follow suit and do a blog on my project car, as people seem to find them helpfull and interesting for ideas.
So, where did it all begin.
Jeremy Clarkson said something i'll never forget (not the crap that got him evenually fired). He said in relation to a car review on a Top Gear episode, that you can hate something so much that you like it. I didn't understand that. After hating the K12 so much, I saw one in the pastle blue with spoiler (as on the 160SR) and a K12 Chic and loved them. From then on the I've been more and more desperate to own one. A personal issue in my life, left me with some cash (rather not say as this is about my K12 project), so now is the time to jump in a get one. My mate (twisterboy) helped find one and told me about a 160SR, I checked it out and one poped up near, with a little treck to see it. i'd set up insurance for it and bought it and was helping a local get going with his buisness.
So, what then. Well I got it out for a few drives and love it every time even more each time. But, bonnet wouldn't oppen and a local garage fixed it for free with WD40. So far so good, it's the best car I've ever owned and my first ever 2nd hand car. I was already on here, so got back on and posting.
Where now? but first I need to get it back to looking new again on the body and driver's headlight.
O and I've no name for it yet (should I refer to it as her?) I'm open to suggestions.
Here are the current pics so far. 2 are in my flat's communal car park, 2 at a local McDonalds, 2 at a local carvery and 1 of the engine after fixing the bonnet catch and before cleaning the engine.
I have plans after getting the body looking new, so come back to see, as the mods begin to take shape.

Attachments

• image1.jpg
    image1.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 4,053
  • image2.jpg
    image2.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 4,750
  • image3.jpg
    image3.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 4,216
  • DSC_3134.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 522
  • DSC_3135.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 462
  • DSC_3136.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 486
  • DSC_3137.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 484
  • DSC_3133.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 533
How do you make the pics big like that? Just so I know for my next blog. Pop a few pics of yours. If we are near, it be good to have ours together for a photo shoot

Mika The Finn

Site Supporter
I do live in the Land of the Finns, also known as Fin(e)land, I mean Finland. For the pictures, move your rodents arrow to to picture and right click it => view image info => copy it => click image from top of tool bar => copy paste and vola you have bigger pictures. I have my linked pictures saved to photobucket.
Hmmm, maybe I should start my own blog and expose all my mods in there...
Like this easy mod, amber taped rear turn signals, I don't like those original clear ones...

IMG_0196_zpscgzrbbfj.jpg

IMG_0197_zps9zepqlg4.jpg

This might also give you some ideas:
Anyone fitted DRL's to their micra?
https://www.micra.org.uk/threads/anyone-fitted-drls-to-their-micra.60102/#post-704766

Last edited:
I tried Bennets of Scotland for tidying up the bodywork. They pretty much said they were a prestige bodywork company and quite expensive for the work I wanted doing. They told me to go to a smaller local body shop. They then said to think about it due to the age of the car and how much I wanted to spend. They just don't get what the car means to people like us. I love being part of this group to see people enjoy the K12 as much as I do, despite the age of them. I've contacted a local garage (waiting a reply), giving them my story and offering my buisness on servicing and MOT. I find it's best to support a local garage for an older car, that way they get to know you, the car and you get to know them. My parents have a mechanic my grandad kept using when he started on his own. Hopefully I'll get somewhere to do the work cheap, to help save money for the mods.
Next is to get a headlight for the driver's side which has gone milky and appears to be internal. Just need to take this slow and do it right and prioratise the jobs needing done over the jobs wanting done. I could do with a bit of motivation to see it all to completion, how others have got through their projects to completion. My first ever modded car.

Last edited:
I found a local garage that will do the worst bits on the bodywork for £500 cash, but obviously it won't be as good as the pro job for that price, as he said he'll cut a few corners for that price and due to the age of the car. Hopefully it look real good though and tidy the worst of it, then I can get started on the mods.

Ye, very handy website that for varios tips and hints to do general DIY mods/maintenance.
Nice clean engine now. Years of dirt and s**t all gone. It makes such a difference. Now to tart up the engine. I have just noticed that the screen wash cap is missing, so that along with the 12V socket cover will add a few small improvements.

dsc_3156-jpg.53204

Attachments

• DSC_3156.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 3,410
Last edited:
dsc_3158-jpg.53244

I do appologise for the terrible photo, but space to take it wasn't good, that and the battery died on the camera before I could take a decent one. This is the state of my gear knob on the 160SR. What I wont to know is, is if those DIY leather colouring kits on eBay are any good at doing a cheap DIY leather restoration job, to get it looking semi decient than it is? If ayone can help with advice, if it can be done, which kit to get and any other tips I'd appreciate it. I can obviously get better pics once the batteries are charged (camera is better than the Iphone). If we think this is worth doing, I'll do few pics and blog to help others as this hpefully will work and others can try it. I obviously don't want to make it worse, hence me being cautious.

Attachments

• DSC_3158.JPG
    DSC_3158.JPG
    356.3 KB · Views: 3,282
Don't forget the silver door handle trim also. Are all these trim pices easy to remove for painting?
Also, what is our paint code we need to do this? I refuse to pay over the top at Halfords. A model shop might have it or B&Q make up paint to match things or to a code.

Last edited:

Mika The Finn

Site Supporter
Yes, door trims too! Air vents from sides can removed just by pulling them off, Stereo trims can be removes by following Guy's stereo section.

FITS NISSAN MICRA K12 2003-2009 GEAR GAITER REAL LEAHER BLUE STITCH http://www.ebay.com/itm/FITS-NISSAN...ash=item2106c928bb:g:ylgAAOSwbdpWZqSz&vxp=mtr

s-l1600.jpg

Blue Silicone Wheel Lug Nut Bolt Hub Screw Cover Tyre Protective Cap

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-20Pcs-B...10:m:m8BX0zkvi1yIOkVH4lZrXdw&vxp=mtr#shpCntId

s-l500.jpg

38cm Silicone Silica Gel Pattern Vehicle Car Steering Wheel Cover Light Blue
http://www.ebay.com/itm/38cm-Silico...ash=item21230ce122:g:4C4AAOSwCGVX5J6T&vxp=mtr

Last edited:
That wheel but cover looks like a little nice touch on a black alloy (one of the last jobs to get done). Can always buy it for my parts box
Well that's the car going in tomorrow for bodywork tidy up. I'll miss her. But looking forward to a nicer well deserved TLC body (ye, the car I mean ).
This is last entry on this blog for about a week.
I'll try keep up with what's going on here while I'm away for a few days. Thankfully won't miss her too much. Pics will follow her return.
I'll keep a look out for bits on eBay to mod her a bit in the mean time and do a shopping list.

Thats the cap arrived for the screen wash bottle. I relised too late that the headlight is not correct. It's the chrome one and not the black one :(, my mistake for not cheking properly. So, I have a drivers chrome headlight if anyone wants it. I just need to get what I paid for it or a swap for the black 160SR divers one. I don't fancy changing the cover, as it may not be water tight when fitted to the black one. The yellowing in inside so the plastic cover is scrap. Any ideas how I can resolve this? I can just punt it back on eBay and get the correct one, but if any easier resolution be helpful. I've contacted the seller to see if they can help.
The car isn't back yet from the body shop, so missing her a lot :(, but, on the + side, it will be worth the wait!

I bought a set of these rally style mudflaps, but don't have any fixings. Just wondering what I need to fit them? I'll not be fitting them till after the car is lowered.

Attachments

• IMG_1409.JPG
    IMG_1409.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 2,810
They look good on the car, just like lowering the car or putting a big spoiler on the car that do nothing but cause drag. It looks good. Thats what this is all about. You'll inderstand when they are on the car.
Anyway, the car is back and looking good!
image2-jpg.53396

The roof before.

dsc_3331-jpg.53397

Roof after! The wet was after they washed it, roughly.

bumper-gif.53398

You can see the skuff and just make out the laqure pealing, there was more than can be seen. This was before the repair.

dsc_3333-jpg.53399

The repaired bumper!

Now to get the exhaust done next!

dsc_3334-jpg.53400

I got a cap for the screenwash bottle, finally.

Attachments

• image2.JPG
    image2.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 2,937
  • DSC_3331.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 2,872
  • Bumper.gif
    Bumper.gif
    1.4 MB · Views: 2,938
  • DSC_3333.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 2,772
  • DSC_3334.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 3,099
Last edited:
I am planning a double back box with elliptical tail pieces. They will exit either side of the black bumper trim where the current one does. Something a bit throaty. Elliptical shape, because I think it will go with the bubbly looks of the car, though I'm open to suggestions on this idea.

I've had those, but wasn't really modifing the car. I don't like them for my project car here. Now I have cash and the need for a project to keep me occupied, I'm going to do it properly to take to meets. I don't want a Halfords special
I can just imagine a Citroen Saxo with one of those on, a iron board spoiler, Halfords special stereo and a Ned driving it

Well, Quick Lube in Edinburgh can't do the exhaust for a few months and will have to take out the spare wheel well. I'll keep looking for someone who can do it without cutting out the spare wheel well.

Mika The Finn

Site Supporter
Hello Callum!
I was wondering about fitment of muffler, now I realized that only way is to cut spare wheel well.
Eventually when you have new exhaust available are you going to get it dyno tested before and after for power gains?
Or is your exhaust change only for more throaty sound?
Sad reality is that you can't get throaty sound from vehicle with 1.6 liter small engine, no matter what you do for it... :oops:

My 1995 Chevrolet Camaro Z28, (a car with 4 windows), with small block 5.7 liter LT1 V8 gives actual throaty sound with twin tips :D

Camaro_4_zpsrnwo7m6p.jpg

Camaro_17_zps5yayopkb.jpg

This article is interesting, but pricey: HR16DE turbo kit with pics
http://www.nissanversaforums.com/engine-forum/12370-hr16de-turbo-kit-pics.html

Turbo 1.6L Micra (March) HR16DE http://micra-forum.com/showthread.p...ch)-HR16DE?s=d7119bdf8fcdce0d26b82b3c78a6706f

Last edited:
I'm looking at doing the alloys gloss black, with the blue body colour inbetween the "spokes" I've had a reply from someone willing to give me a quote, but no reply from anyone on the exhaust, so may just keep looking round for somone to do the work without removing my wheel well and do the cheaper stuff just now, like the alloys and tints.

Mika The Finn

Site Supporter
Talking about cheaper stuff, I couldn't resit when I saw this, ordered mine few moments ago, color matching ;)
New Nissan Micra Metal Keyring Blue New Genuine MICRA012 => http://www.ebay.com/itm/122208011285?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT
Micra%20keyring_zpsrprzccjh.jpg

For economical window tinting check blog of Jen319, for original Micra window shades, I also have set. Almost professional tinted result, have to view real close to see truth :cool:

For non-rally mudflaps I found from my garage, part number KE788AX686DR, have been in shelf for over year, similar to these:
Genuine Nissan Micra 07-10 Convertible Rear Mudflaps KE788BC287 => http://www.ebay.com/itm/252838135315?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

s-l500.jpg

Last edited:
I thought I'd add another pic of the 160SR at South Queensferry. Just poped out to there and bagged a pic of the car while there.

dsc_3481-jpg.53495
Just

Attachments

• DSC_3481.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 2,677

John_D

Club Member
Radio Code Guru
Talking about cheaper stuff, I couldn't resit when I saw this, ordered mine few moments ago, color matching ;)
New Nissan Micra Metal Keyring Blue New Genuine MICRA012 => http://www.ebay.com/itm/122208011285?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT
Micra%20keyring_zpsrprzccjh.jpg

For economical window tinting check blog of Jen319, for original Micra window shades, I also have set. Almost professional tinted result, have to view real close to see truth :cool:

For non-rally mudflaps I found from my garage, part number KE788AX686DR, have been in shelf for over year, similar to these:
Genuine Nissan Micra 07-10 Convertible Rear Mudflaps KE788BC287 => http://www.ebay.com/itm/252838135315?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

s-l500.jpg
Thanks for the 'heads up' about the rear 'mudflaps' Mika, just ordered those from the guy on ebay.
I managed to get a full front and back set of similar ones, a couple of years ago, for my daughter's P12 Primera, was very impressed with the fit and how much they stopped crap being thrown up the side/rear of the car, hadn't realised that there were specific Micra K12 ones available. Just need to find the corresponding front ones now.

I got a salvaged part for the heater controls to get the black dials from. The one on the left, I screwed it up and it wouldn't engage with the mechanism behind, so, £30 for the labour charge at a local garage, saw it repaired and it looks so much better than the cream dials. If anyone wants the cream dials, I can send them on, just let me know or I might just bin them. Yes I do need the 12V socket cover, seems that and the screen wash cap are common items to go missing.

dsc_3472-jpg.53512

I've just had a £100 quote for tints, so will get a look at their samples and get it booked in.

Attachments

• DSC_3472.jpg
    596.6 KB · Views: 2,382
That's the tints booked in to be done. I'm going to go for the darkest as no one will be in the back anyway, as that's whet my daily driver is for. Should look sweet at only £100!
I then head to see about the custom exhaust I want and hopefully no removing the spare wheel well.
Just gave her a clean, as the body guys made a hash of cleaning her with lots of the white powdered on it still from the repairs. Looking good now though. Its just taking time to find places to do the mods I'm after.
I'll post pics of the tints on Friday some point after they are done.
It's been a long time coming for a modded car project and I just love my Micra K12!
For now she's had a lot of well deserved TLC.
The same garage might be able to do the suspension as well as the exhaust. I'll do them separately though, as I can afford to do them.

Good news and bad. Bad news is they couldn't finish the previous job so I got cancelled on the tints till next Friday, so not all bad. Good news is a good deal on the exhaust and only removing the toe hook and not the spare wheel well! That's booked in on the 5th May. Finally after a lot of searching and asking around, I've finally got booked in to get the mods started, finally!

That's the exhaust done. A big job that, though got to watch Central Intelligence on their digital service! Helped the time go a bit more.

img_1456-jpg.53871

img_1457-jpg.53865

Sounds sweet! Not too bad if have music on for those longer journeys, though probably won't do too many of those though.

Attachments

• IMG_1457.JPG
    IMG_1457.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 2,341
  • IMG_1456.JPG
    IMG_1456.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 2,739
No I didn't. They were very tight to get it finished before closing. 1-5pm, closing at 5:30pm, so no time to do anything in that time other than get stuck in and get it done. They painted black all that can be seen, so only the pips are left polished stainless steel, to look the part. It sounds fab. I'll get a video of it's sound when I can get someone to help. I'll need to wash the car before I do photos as it can be seen it's dirty from the tints being done. I'll do that before a meet on the 20th May.

Last edited:
Next big job is to get it lowered. Any ideas on how low, bearing in mind my area and street is littered with speed bumps, sadly.
I'll use the same garage as they were very good and can do the suspension also. I'll get them to do the Mot & service since they know the work done. I'll get a 6 month service done by a local garage to help keep any problems at bay and keep it on the road longer.

Mika The Finn

Site Supporter
Next big job is to get it lowered. Any ideas on how low, bearing in mind my area and street is littered with speed bumps, sadly.
I'll use the same garage as they were very good and can do the suspension also. I'll get them to do the Mot & service since they know the work done. I'll get a 6 month service done by a local garage to help keep any problems at bay and keep it on the road longer.
G'day Callum,
Please read my blog, there is brief description of my vehicles lowering details ;)