K12 1.2 Starting issues

Stani1029

Club Member
Having an absolute nightmare, first sign of anything was it not starting after sitting all day. Starting clicking ever so slightly.

Sound like a dead battery, tried to push start with no luck. 9v at battery so jump started with no problems so drove home.

Turned car off and tried to restart outside before going inside and there was nothing. Battery showing 12v after the drive home. Quick look on youtube and see a video suggesting its the ignition switch and to wd40 down the ignition barrel.

Did this and it now starts first time everytime although was still thinking it cant be fixed this easy. Next morning no issues at all and none for a few days. Thursday there it wouldnt start, nothing from the starter motor either. Checked battery voltage and it was low again.

Did a parisitic drain test and theres not enough draw for anything to be killing the battery. Eventually got it started again and checked the alternator which shows 14v so is working fine. I also checked the starter was getting 12v and it is.

So bought an ignition switch and recieved it today, tried that and no difference, its actually worse when i can get it to start as theres only a small percentage of the key turn where it engages the starter!

Checked all fuses and none are blown so opted for a new battery, fitted the battery and still no difference until i put everything back together and it starts and works with no obvious issues

Now im thinking its the transponder but it doesnt explain why the starter wouldnt go? Or does nats on k12's control this....

Thanks

Have you cleaned battery terminals with small wire brush and tighten them?
Sound like corrosion...:rolleyes:

I will certainly give that a go next time it happens. Dont want to just clean them now whilst its working incase i never find out what the issue was. Currently the new battery is fitted but not the new ignition switch cheers

Back