K12 1.0E Malfunction Light

Hi guys,

Looking for a bit of advice. Have an 03 plate Micra, car was jump started with wire crossed over and blew fuselink! Fuselink was replace and then when started MI light was on. Took it in for a diagnostic and was told the problem is the Throttle body valve module. They quoted £500 + vat for the part plus fitting, so about £1000+

I got a new part and fitted, it still has the same issue, any ideas what it could be??

Car does start, but is in limp home mode! Could it be that with the new part in it just needs the code reset to work correctly??

The garage did not supply fault codes.

Thanks Nicola.

you need to get the codes read again really nicola, i doubt if clearing/resetting them would make any difference :)

Thanks Frank,

Is there a cheap code reader I could buy so my partner can do that! Don't want to have to spend £50 at the garage again!!

Thanks Frank,

Is there a cheap code reader I could buy so my partner can do that! Don't want to have to spend £50 at the garage again!!

there are a few £30 ish ones around, mine,s an old mac tools ET50, very handy but not infallable tho fwn

hi when you say blew the fuse link you talking about the fuse on the battery positive clamp?

did you put some jump leads on the wrong way ie + to -?

if you have and blew the fuse link the fault will most likely lie with the ecu and ipdm unit as it is in limp home mode! are the fans on when it is turned on? if so it so like a ipdm or ecu had this a few times at work the units are virgin and expensive i can't see why the would have replaced the throttle valve module!

was this a nissan dealer or a back street garage? i bet it was a backstreet garage!!!!!

hi when you say blew the fuse link you talking about the fuse on the battery positive clamp?

did you put some jump leads on the wrong way ie + to -?

if you have and blew the fuse link the fault will most likely lie with the ecu and ipdm unit as it is in limp home mode! are the fans on when it is turned on? if so it so like a ipdm or ecu had this a few times at work the units are virgin and expensive i can't see why the would have replaced the throttle valve module!

was this a nissan dealer or a back street garage? i bet it was a backstreet garage!!!!!

Hi MAtt,

It was a these guys http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/mthautoservices/ENTER.htm

Yes it was dark and got them round the wrong way :doh: which fans, fans inside cabin on heaters work? Have fitted a remanufactured throttle body and faults still show.

I now have an OBD II code reader and got the following codes

Listed as faults

P1122 x 2
P0223
P0123
P2135
P1126

All Listed as Pending

P1122 X 2
P0223
P0123
P2135
P1126
P0113
P0444
P0107

Do I erase the codes after the part was replaced or not?

rite i need to ask who put the jump leads on you or the garage if it was the garage take it back as they mis diagonised it if they said it was the throttle thing at fault and changed a part and it still didnt work then they havent fixed it, please do tell me if im being dim.

code p1122 is the throttle valve have a look at this link it is what we would do at work the repair procedure

http://www.bba-reman.com/content.aspx?content=nissan_dtc_p1122

take note of this If DTC P1122 is noted together with DTC 1121/1126

then perform Trouble Diagnosis on the latter first.

you show 1122 and 1126!

p0223 is throttle position sensor/circuit
p0123 is throttle position sensor circuit high voltage
p2135 is as above

p0113 http://www.obd-codes.com/p0113 check this
p0444 http://www.bba-reman.com/content.aspx?content=NEXT_DTC_P0444
p0107http://www.obd-codes.com/p0107

you will see pcm turn out alot pcm is another word for ecu engine control unit in my experience at work on nissan and the cars been jumped and now not working, limp home mode and not revving and engine fans on constantly it is always down to the ecu now im not say it is as i have looked at it or any thing im giving you guidance i hope you understand this.

if the garage did the work and change a part and it didnt fix it than i say the mis diagonised it and they are not to charge you.

i hope you understand let me know how you get on

matt

Thanks for the info matt,

I will work my way through this. It was us who put jumpers on wrong way :blush: so not their fault, they diagnosed it as the throttle control valve module. They wanted the £550+vat +fitting so about £1000 all in said no, got recon part from BBA-Reman and fitted it. Didnt solve the problem. So got the OBDII scanner and the codes I posted earlier are what I got. So will now follow your advice and see how it goes. Will let you know how I get on.

Thanks,

Nic's fella ;)
:laugh:

rite i need to ask who put the jump leads on you or the garage if it was the garage take it back as they mis diagonised it if they said it was the throttle thing at fault and changed a part and it still didnt work then they havent fixed it, please do tell me if im being dim.

code p1122 is the throttle valve have a look at this link it is what we would do at work the repair procedure

http://www.bba-reman.com/content.aspx?content=nissan_dtc_p1122

take note of this If DTC P1122 is noted together with DTC 1121/1126

then perform Trouble Diagnosis on the latter first.

you show 1122 and 1126!

p0223 is throttle position sensor/circuit
p0123 is throttle position sensor circuit high voltage
p2135 is as above

p0113 http://www.obd-codes.com/p0113 check this
p0444 http://www.bba-reman.com/content.aspx?content=NEXT_DTC_P0444
p0107http://www.obd-codes.com/p0107

you will see pcm turn out alot pcm is another word for ecu engine control unit in my experience at work on nissan and the cars been jumped and now not working, limp home mode and not revving and engine fans on constantly it is always down to the ecu now im not say it is as i have looked at it or any thing im giving you guidance i hope you understand this.

if the garage did the work and change a part and it didnt fix it than i say the mis diagonised it and they are not to charge you.

i hope you understand let me know how you get on

matt

Ok, having a bit of difficulty trying to fix the DTC 1121/1126 codes but all other codes have been cleared. So just the main ones to go.

For my 1st attempt at car repair I feel chuffed to get this far but following the diagnostic procedure from here is leaving me scratching my head.

But I will persevere.
:grinning:

hi it sounds like the fuse has blown check all the fuses, the throttle fuse is in the engine bay slot f51 20amp i think you may have blown a few fuses

hi it sounds like the fuse has blown check all the fuses, the throttle fuse is in the engine bay slot f51 20amp i think you may have blown a few fuses

Hi Jowley thanks for the advice.

I have checked the fuses in the IPDM in the engine bay there are no blown fuses. I have noticed that the fusible link part which sits on the +ive battery terminal has a break which appears to have been patched back together. Could this be causing the MI light and it only going to the limp home mode, due to lack of power/voltage :eek:

Matt I haven't been able to do the diagnostic checks on the BBA site! Might have to try and take it to another garage and get stung for more cash!!! :down:

Cheers for the help though guys there has been some progress and I feel I have learnt some stuff too. Got the haynes manual to assist me also now ;)

take it to nissan it will be cheaper in the long run they will have seen it before not like a backstreet garage, any way im still going for the ipdm and/or ecu

take it to nissan it will be cheaper in the long run they will have seen it before not like a backstreet garage, any way im still going for the ipdm and/or ecu

Hey Matt,

It might come to that, most probably the ECU at this stage. Been fun doing the testing though :D

Did you get this sorted?

Strangely, I have a very similar problem.

The car isnt mine, so dont know the whole history of it but - Was jump started with terminals crossed. Some work was done on it and it worked for about 2 years, now an error has developed.

The car was stuck in limp home mode - wouldnt rev above 2000rpm. Put OBD reader on it and got code P1122. 2 independent garages said this points to the throttle body, but they couldnt guarantee it would be fixed. I took it to Nissan and paid £90 for them to tell me the same thing. Got quoted £800 to replace.

I bought a brand new Hitachi throttle body and fitted that to the car. Car started up fine, cleared error codes and all seemed OK. Although, engine management light comes on every time the car is started. The error code now is P1121 (throttle position sensor intermittent high voltage). If I clear the code while the engine is running, it stays running fine. As soon as the engine is turned off and started again, the error kicks back in. With this error, the car revs to about 4000rpm, so not as severe as the previous problem.

I stripped down the old throttle body to see how it worked. I notice 2 adjustments on the side - they control the stop position of the throttle. Does anyone know if the position of these limits can be tweaked to affect this type of fault?

Cheers
Ian

Did you get this sorted?

Strangely, I have a very similar problem.

The car isnt mine, so dont know the whole history of it but - Was jump started with terminals crossed. Some work was done on it and it worked for about 2 years, now an error has developed.

The car was stuck in limp home mode - wouldnt rev above 2000rpm. Put OBD reader on it and got code P1122. 2 independent garages said this points to the throttle body, but they couldnt guarantee it would be fixed. I took it to Nissan and paid £90 for them to tell me the same thing. Got quoted £800 to replace.

I bought a brand new Hitachi throttle body and fitted that to the car. Car started up fine, cleared error codes and all seemed OK. Although, engine management light comes on every time the car is started. The error code now is P1121 (throttle position sensor intermittent high voltage). If I clear the code while the engine is running, it stays running fine. As soon as the engine is turned off and started again, the error kicks back in. With this error, the car revs to about 4000rpm, so not as severe as the previous problem.

I stripped down the old throttle body to see how it worked. I notice 2 adjustments on the side - they control the stop position of the throttle. Does anyone know if the position of these limits can be tweaked to affect this type of fault?

Cheers
Ian

Hi Ian,

No I haven't got it sorted yet. It is in at a main dealers now. Quoting me £700+ fitting for an IPDM, and they still don't know if this will fix it. Could I use an IPDM from another micra in it??

Cheers

As an electronics engineer, it annoys me that the penny pinching accountants force us to cut the cost of productss to the point where a simple honest mistake can cost thousands where simple protection costs a penny or two........

Slam

hi
this has happened on my m8s car, due to it being jump started the wrong way. jus wondering if you managed to get it fixed in the end and wat it was?

£500 to fit an electronic throttle body?! That's five minutes work :wow:.

Back