K11E - Gearbox Filler Plug problem

cj_uk

Site Supporter
Hi, I changed the oil on the other halfs 2001 1.0 Micra the other week, both the filler and drain plugs undone without any problems (used a 10mm allen key on the filler). I replaced the oil with 2.5 litres as per the haynes manual. Since the change we have noticed that changing into first can sometime be difficult when cold. I have further read (on here) that some people fill up with 3 litres of oil or even mix 2.5 with .5 of engine oil. So, attempting to add more oil, I've hit a problem. I've tried the same allen key in the filler plug but this has unfortunately slipped and has now round off some of the plug. Can anyone advise me how to go about removing the filler plug, you help would be greatly appreciated.

Hi Scott, thanks for the suggestion, unfortunately I haven't got access to a welder. Would I be able to epoxy a 10mm allen bit/socket to the plug ?

Hi Scott, thanks for the suggestion, unfortunately I haven't got access to a welder. Would I be able to epoxy a 10mm allen bit/socket to the plug ?

i doubt if that would work cj fwn you,re best to hammer a spline/torx bit in usually

i doubt if that would work cj fwn you,re best to hammer a spline/torx bit in usually

i seen on my 2000 facelift box that the speedo drive is much wider than the 1.0 facelift
could it be topped up from up top?(speedo drive hole)?

Is the filler plug flush with the casing? Could maybe catch the end and tap it round with a chisel or grip it with a big set of vise grips?.

Another good tip for rounded off allen head plugs etc. is to get a slightly oversize torx socket and tap it in. The shape bites into the head more readily.

Hi Guy's, many thanks for your suggestions, think I'll go with the over sized torx bit on the filler plug. Another job for the weekend :laugh:

Sorry guys, just a quickie, should I have used a T50 torx bit for the filler and not a 10mm allen key. I only ask as when the key slipped, a closer look convinced me that it should be a torx bit ?

Some have a 3/8" square filler and 1/2" drain plug (Usually S reg on, first speed sensor boxes)
Later ones have 10mm allen key level plug. depending on the amount of shi... build up and corrosion it can look like a TORX head bit it is definitely an allen head.

Back