K11 Wipers return to home/park position?

Evening all. Our K11 has been mothballed the last year or so but now off to do battle again with one of our tribe. MOT and welding currently in progress!!! Happy days!!! :(

But the wipers don't return to the home position when switched off. Can't remember but would imagine they should return to the flat position rather than sit across the window when switched off.

Any ideas what item might of failed that I need to sort....is it a relay of some sort? Appreciate any ideas or solutions any of you might have. Cheers

Yup should return flat, or just showing on the window.
I would give the rods and mechanism a bit of a squirt with WD 40 to see what effect that has.
If that works, a spray with a silicone oil to really give them a chance.

pollyp

Club Member
sounds like the contact fingers inside the wiper motor unit has worn out

dsc09634-jpg.35896

https://www.micra.org.uk/threads/pollymobiles-rebuild.35251/page-116#post-701391

OP
OP
Yup should return flat, or just showing on the window.
I would give the rods and mechanism a bit of a squirt with WD 40 to see what effect that has.
If that works, a spray with a silicone oil to really give them a chance.

Hi again Davyboy, super stuff, will give that a shot later this morning and see how it goes. It does seem to try to return and then stalls....it has sat a good while. Let you know how I get on. Many thanks

OP
OP

pollyp

Club Member
Nice one PollyP, going to take a read of the link you kindly sent and give it a shake down. Are those parts readily available or is a yard job? Also if I could pick your brains a little further, roughly where is the unit located ..... being lazy now I know ;) ..... Many thanks for taking the time

once the copper fingers worn out, that's it. just replace it with another spare one. top passenger side of the bulkhead.

pollyp

Club Member
Excellent info pollyp. I never knew how that worked as I have never had a wipers operational problem in 43 years of motoring with mostly old bangers improvise, adapt & overcome any problem DIY repairs! ;)

thx m8. no wiper probs in all those yrs, thats lucky :cool:

OP
OP
You know when you hope for the stars and things fall a bit short? ... the 1st class article Pollyp put together and copied it to the letter, including replacement wiper motor. (truly is an excellent article) ... but alas not the cause!

I rebuilt the entire linkage, motor etc .... all fairly easy stuff but then noticed there is a small black box connected to the wiper motor. I think it is the 'WIPER DELAY RELAY MODULE'. I'm guessing this might be the next port of call although I'm not really certain (despite the description) what it actually does.

If I move the column stalk control to position I, the wiper goes to move but doesn't. If I put it on position II or III it will run at the appropriate speed but will stop on screen when you switch it back to O position. So I'm not sure if the relay just does time a cycle or if it has home return position functionality as well?

Or it could be my replacement motor has the same fault?

Any input appreciated as always. Cheers

LiamC

I've ruined my car ?
You know when you hope for the stars and things fall a bit short? ... the 1st class article Pollyp put together and copied it to the letter, including replacement wiper motor. (truly is an excellent article) ... but alas not the cause!

I rebuilt the entire linkage, motor etc .... all fairly easy stuff but then noticed there is a small black box connected to the wiper motor. I think it is the 'WIPER DELAY RELAY MODULE'. I'm guessing this might be the next port of call although I'm not really certain (despite the description) what it actually does.

If I move the column stalk control to position I, the wiper goes to move but doesn't. If I put it on position II or III it will run at the appropriate speed but will stop on screen when you switch it back to O position. So I'm not sure if the relay just does time a cycle or if it has home return position functionality as well?

Or it could be my replacement motor has the same fault?

Any input appreciated as always. Cheers
That sounds like the relay problems that I've heard, wait for someone else to verify but I am fairly sure I've heard that exact thing happening

Sent from my SM-G903F using Micra Sports Club mobile app

OP
OP
Morning guys, been a while .... trouble free motoring for a good few months.

But now the weather's improved, back to this wiper return to home position problem.

I followed the excellent article PollyP put together and ordered a replacement motor from a decent breaker but unfortunately it did not solve the issue.

Any other things to try here e.g like LiamC mentioned above? I don't know what relay or where but of course happy give that a shot....and indeed any other directions any of you have.

Many thanks....good to be back

LiamC

I've ruined my car ?
Morning guys, been a while .... trouble free motoring for a good few months.

But now the weather's improved, back to this wiper return to home position problem.

I followed the excellent article PollyP put together and ordered a replacement motor from a decent breaker but unfortunately it did not solve the issue.

Any other things to try here e.g like LiamC mentioned above? I don't know what relay or where but of course happy give that a shot....and indeed any other directions any of you have.

Many thanks....good to be back
Is your car preface or facelift? Pre facelift have a black box right beside the wiper motor which plugs into the motor. That's the relay that controls the start stop and intermittent functions for pfl anyway. If you own a facelift it's probably stalk, scrapyard either way should fix it

"It just looks like a scrotum" - Jeremy Clarkson on the K12

OP
OP
Is your car preface or facelift? Pre facelift have a black box right beside the wiper motor which plugs into the motor. That's the relay that controls the start stop and intermittent functions for pfl anyway. If you own a facelift it's probably stalk, scrapyard either way should fix it

Is a 95 Liam, the pre-facelift one. Super stuff I'll take a look and see if we can hunt one down. Thanks for the steer

OP
OP

Liam hi there, just to let you know it was exactly the problem you mention and was a successful fix. Originally I sourced the Mk2 relay in error but just got a MK1 one off ebay and is now working a treat. Many thanks for the advice on that one. An annoying long standing issue fixed!

All the best

LiamC

I've ruined my car ?
Liam hi there, just to let you know it was exactly the problem you mention and was a successful fix. Originally I sourced the Mk2 relay in error but just got a MK1 one off ebay and is now working a treat. Many thanks for the advice on that one. An annoying long standing issue fixed!

All the best
Great to hear, keep on motoring

Sent from my FIG-LX1 using Micra Sports Club mobile app