K11 turbos - how much insurance?

SuluR

Buy & Sell Member
Hey guys

Since my car needs attention I thought I might take this oppertunity to start turbo. I was going to wait a couple months but the cars asking for it now.

Anyway, insurance has been a factor for me as I suspect it to bump up a fair bit.

So for you turboed turboing turbos, what's your insurance like?

SirChris

Educated Bodger
Same. Just get on with it lol. You need to find a good mot bloke as it will be hard to pass. Get it mapped and make sire you have the effort to get it hands dirty lol.

Micra turbo... init

It depends as you guys says, age, NCB, year of car and insurance company Oh also the area you live in aswell!! I had a quote before my renewal at my home address for £250 fully comp, when I gave another address of my cousin in peterborough it was like £210 now I got a quote for a turbo on my car and total I got was £350! This now makes me wanna carry out the swooooosh conversion quicker lol, also as sirchris says it does help to have a good friend as an MOT tester, thank god I'm ok with that as two of my mates are close mates otherwise failing that the complete turbo gear will have to come off to make standard just to pass then back on again!!

J

SirChris

Educated Bodger
It depends as you guys says, age, NCB, year of car and insurance company Oh also the area you live in aswell!! I had a quote before my renewal at my home address for £250 fully comp, when I gave another address of my cousin in peterborough it was like £210 now I got a quote for a turbo on my car and total I got was £350! This now makes me wanna carry out the swooooosh conversion quicker lol, also as sirchris says it does help to have a good friend as an MOT tester, thank god I'm ok with that as two of my mates are close mates otherwise failing that the complete turbo gear will have to come off to make standard just to pass then back on again!!

J
your cat looks like a wombat... this makes me happy

No wombat ! Van Helsings side kick I'm afraid! He also drives a K11 in RED as in colour of blood! To signify his love for blood!

Sorry SuLuR from car insurance to wombats and vampire cats! Back to insurance again!

J

OP
OP
SuluR

SuluR

Buy & Sell Member

J

Who are you insured with? Or what will it be with turbo.

Also if you don't mind me asking, what's your age and NCB ?

euro_micra

Matt :)
My renewal's almost halved to £410 this year:eek:
25year old, 3years ncb, 1.0, turbo, exhaust, wider wheels, wider tyres, coilovers, misc engine modifications, misc exterior mods, interior changes.
Or £630 if stock.

OP
OP
SuluR

SuluR

Buy & Sell Member
25year old, 3years ncb, 1.0, turbo, exhaust, wider wheels, wider tyres, coilovers, misc engine modifications, misc exterior mods, interior changes.
Or £630 if stock.

Is that also with sky?

These all sound like really good prices, i paid almost double that with the basic mods i have using comparison site though :/

Jay101

Black&Yellow
Is that also with sky?

These all sound like really good prices, i paid almost double that with the basic mods i have using comparison site though :/
Im with sky insurance, but with an n/a micra, they are cheap and really good. They offer car club discount. With mods 3yrs NCB 21 £600

Low Rider

Poindexter
Founding Member
Club Member
Seems like all are with sky.

I'm insured with REIS. Not a turbo but still worth mentioning.

Sky were far too expensive for a 2000mile limited mileage policy and wanted about £600. It got to the point where it was very poor value and there wasn't much evidence of them trying to retain a long term customer, since I have been with them for 6years.

I pay £245 now for exactly the same policy and again Chaucer as the actual insurer. I'm 35, 6 yrs NCD, fully comp, social domestic and pleasure only and I get track day cover on an adhoc basis via the same broker.

euro_micra

Is that also with sky?

No Sky Insurence wanted over £1500. It was with Insure Your Motor, I believe.
Was a pita to get last year with them though, guy on phone asked what's the cheapest quote so far, it was £750 from Adrian Flux, and he said he can beat it at £650. Asked if that's with mods, he said "oh, no, what you got?" I told him and he came back with "Oh hell no, you can't insure a turbo car for that cheap, not a chance, no where near, sorry but you can't turbo a car at your age without it being over a grand!" I said ok, no problem, I'll leave it. He quickly added " I'll go speak to my manager... Ok, I can do it for £740 if you accept now." ffs insurence companies are a joke, but I thought that was alright, so went with it.
But later, I had to fill in a load of documents about modifications, what I've got, what I plan to do, proposed bhp figures, and a whole load of what I can't do's, was a nightmare, ended up having to redo 4 different forms 3 times because they sent out the wrong ones and ones with pages missing etc.
I'm going to try Adrian Flux this time around.

Stani1029

Club Member
I'm Adrian flux, £680 all mods declared. Car value at £2500 (not agreed value) 3 points from feb 2009, 2 non fault accidents from oct 2009 and nov 2009, 1yr No claims, and I'm 24, been driving 6 years

Im with chaucer and pay £250 fully comp with added driver etc, and with added swooosh (turbo) the insurance company quoted me £350, havent payed anything for turbo as i havent carried out the conversion yet, pending parts for it!!

J

OP
OP
SuluR

SuluR

Buy & Sell Member
I'm Adrian flux, £680 all mods declared. Car value at £2500 (not agreed value) 3 points from feb 2009, 2 non fault accidents from oct 2009 and nov 2009, 1yr No claims, and I'm 24, been driving 6 years

Ive heard good things about adrian flux prices for modded cars. not too sure about when it comes to claiming :/

Are all these from compare site or from ringing them up? whats the best way to get a good deal? Seems like ive been had then if im paying £800 with trivial mods - performance direct

euro_micra

Or £630 if stock.

Oh wow, just checked earlier, and the price of £410 is without mods for some reason, from insureyourmotor with mods, it's £720.
Hopefully it's Adrian Flux to the rescue, or I see a turbo kit or sale!

Low Rider

Poindexter
Founding Member
Club Member
Something for people to watch out for......insurance brokers seemingly deliberately lowering a renewal premium on exit to make it seem like the deal you are leaving them for is less sweet.