• Please only use these forums for blogs, they are not a discussion forum

K11 Time-warp

porkpie700

Buy & Sell Member
I remember cruising through the Pennine Mountains over a decade ago now in my first Micra - a 1989 K10. I turned to my passenger and joked, “I’d love to go back in time and bring back a brand new K10”. Little did I know that in late 2017 I would find the next best thing – a virtually brand new twenty year old car!

An elderly chap had purchased a new K11 back in 1997 and had averaged less than three-hundred miles per year until his passing. A friend of his family purchased the car with the intention of giving it to his son, who promptly rejected the idea. Well, his loss soon became my gain.
When I viewed the car the odometer displayed 5486.7 miles and the factory-new smell still radiates from the interior. Every part on the vehicle was factory original including the filters, oil and unfortunately – the tires. The former owner explained that there was no service history because the car had not yet had its first service. I shook my head in disgust and withdrew the dipstick. The golden-brown oil resting against the “MAX” mark reassured me that the 1.3 was fit to make the three and a half hour journey home.

IMG_4607.JPG

The drive home revealed that some fine-tuning would be needed in order to iron out a few idiosyncrasies. The throttle seemed to behave like a digital switch, jolting the car violently as it was feathered to regulate speed.
When coming to a stop, the engine sat at around 1100RPM and seemed to wait for about six seconds or so before returning to idle. This odd little quirk made shifting difficult as the gears struggled to mesh. A sticky and incorrectly set dashpot/idle-up valve was to blame for both issues and was quickly remedied.
With the adjustments made and a major service done, I stripped away the exterior and applied litres of Waxoyl to the underside and into cavities that could make a Navara blush.

IMG_4650.JPG
IMG_4624.JPG
IMG_4659.JPG
IMG_4629.JPG

The alloy wheels are only a temporary feature while the original steel rims are repainted and fitted with fresh tires. Aside from perhaps fitting the period-correct wrap-around rear spoiler, my intention is to simply preserve this great little car.

IMG_4700.JPG
IMG_4694.JPG
IMG_4697.JPG

LiamC

I've ruined my car ?
I remember cruising through the Pennine Mountains over a decade ago now in my first Micra - a 1989 K10. I turned to my passenger and joked, “I’d love to go back in time and bring back a brand new K10”. Little did I know that in late 2017 I would find the next best thing – a virtually brand new twenty year old car!

An elderly chap had purchased a new K11 back in 1997 and had averaged less than three-hundred miles per year until his passing. A friend of his family purchased the car with the intention of giving it to his son, who promptly rejected the idea. Well, his loss soon became my gain.
When I viewed the car the odometer displayed 5486.7 miles and the factory-new smell still radiates from the interior. Every part on the vehicle was factory original including the filters, oil and unfortunately – the tires. The former owner explained that there was no service history because the car had not yet had its first service. I shook my head in disgust and withdrew the dipstick. The golden-brown oil resting against the “MAX” mark reassured me that the 1.3 was fit to make the three and a half hour journey home.

View attachment 57188

The drive home revealed that some fine-tuning would be needed in order to iron out a few idiosyncrasies. The throttle seemed to behave like a digital switch, jolting the car violently as it was feathered to regulate speed.
When coming to a stop, the engine sat at around 1100RPM and seemed to wait for about six seconds or so before returning to idle. This odd little quirk made shifting difficult as the gears struggled to mesh. A sticky and incorrectly set dashpot/idle-up valve was to blame for both issues and was quickly remedied.
With the adjustments made and a major service done, I stripped away the exterior and applied litres of Waxoyl to the underside and into cavities that could make a Navara blush.

View attachment 57189View attachment 57190View attachment 57191View attachment 57192

The alloy wheels are only a temporary feature while the original steel rims are repainted and fitted with fresh tires. Aside from perhaps fitting the period-correct wrap-around rear spoiler, my intention is to simply preserve this great little car.

View attachment 57193View attachment 57195View attachment 57194
That's the dream there sir, I don't know if it's a saying in the UK, but well wear. Good luck with your brand new car

Sent from my SM-G903F using Micra Sports Club mobile app

OP
OP
porkpie700

porkpie700

Buy & Sell Member
Beaut! Are you thinking of re-routing the sunroof drain pipes?
That's certainly a priority for this month. The sills are very well protected internally with waxoyl, so once the pipes are re-routed they should stay rot-free (knock on wood).