k11 stereo wire colours

Hi all, I'm new here but i've just got my second micra, a 1998 1L shape, (the first having been written off by some #### in a stolen car), and i'm trying to fix the AMAZING bodge job that was done to the stereo wiring.

both the existing stereo and the dash wiring had been cut and taped, so i can't just do the smart thing and buy an adapter. in addition, the "professional" who fitted the stereo wired in a new power supply directly off the battery. and the blue and red wire has been ON FIRE.

i've found this post: http://micrasportsclub.net/showthread.php?t=30906&highlight=stereo which lists the wire colours as follows:
--POWER---

-Blue with Black Stripe = ACC 12V (ignition power)
-Red with Black Stripe = Constant 12V (if your stereo doesnt have a fuse on its Constant 12V wire, BUY ONE!)
-Red with Blue Stripe = Illumination wire
-Black = Ground (although I suggest you use your own, or multiple ground points)

--FRONT SPEAKERS--

RIGHT: Brown wire and Black with Red stripe (Positive/negative unknown)
LEFT: Blue wire and Black with White Stripe (Positive/negative unknown)

You will notice that there are TWO Black wires with red stripes. To test which one is the speaker and which one is the power wire, get yourself a fully charged AA battery and put the BROWN wire on one end of the battery and one of the Black with Red stripe wires on the other side of the battery. When you get the right wire the right hand speaker will make clicking noises.

According to the Haynes Manual, all K11 have front speaker crossovers somewhere in the dash. These crossovers (most likely very simple units) are for the optional A-Pillar tweeter which came in many higher grade models, in Australia this being fully optioned Series 2 SLX and all Series 2 Super S. For optimal sound quality, I highly recommend running your own wires for the front speakers as the standard series 2 equipment is rather lacking.

--REAR SPEAKERS--

RIGHT: Red with Black stripe and Black with Pink stripe (positive/negative unknown)
LEFT: Black with Yellow stripe and Red with Yellow stripe (positive and negative unknown)

(Thanks to a Member of the Micra.au club, Yom.)

can anyone confirm those are correct? the colours seem to match what i have coming out of the dash, which is better than most of the charts i've found!

i'm just going to replace the wire that has been on fire, wire in an ISO adapter, and connect up my own Alpine head unit and use that battery power feed for the amp for my subwoofer... IF i can sort out which wire is which without doing myself, the car, or the stereo an injury. :)

thanks for any help!

OP
OP
S
correct K11 audio wiring colours

FYI, these appear to be the correct wire colours. i ended up getting myself a factory parcel shelf with rear speakers (rear speakerwiring is in place in K11s) which made sorting out the two red/black wires easier. i'm told the grounding is through the two mounting brackets and/or the aerial on a K11. nothing will work if you try to ram a cage in, just take off the wee bit of the dash fascia and use the mounting brackets off the original stereo to mount the new head unit, it's far far easier anyways.:laugh:

--POWER---

-Red with Black Stripe = Constant 12V (if your stereo doesnt have a fuse on its Constant 12V wire, BUY ONE!)
-Black = Ground (although I suggest you use your own, or multiple ground points)

--FRONT SPEAKERS--

--REAR SPEAKERS--

RIGHT: Red with Black stripe and Black with Pink stripe (positive/negative unknown)
LEFT: Black with Yellow stripe and Red with Yellow stripe (positive and negative unknown)

You will notice that there are TWO red wires with black stripes. To test which one is the speaker and which one is the power wire, get yourself a fully charged AA battery and put the BROWN wire on one end of the battery and one of the Black with Red stripe wires on the other side of the battery. When you get the right wire the right hand speaker will make clicking noises.

(Thanks to a Member of the Micra.au club, Yom.)

K11 Wiring Info

Hey all, i've noticed that quite a few people have needed help with wiring up a new head unit as they haven't bothered with an iso adaptor but in my case i bought a car with no head unit and the guy before cut the wires. WTF!

I need help wiring mine up so please just do a sticky please.

BTW mine is a k11.

Cheers

jim_bling

Ex. Club Member
well the red cable is ignition live yellow is permanent live black is earth/ground then the other cables are for your speakers open your boot and look for the plug on the drivers side of the boot just under the parcel shelf support/under the carpet find what wires are there then the cables that are the same colour at the front are for ya rear speakers then the other 4 wires are for your front speakers get a battery (aa iirc) and touch the cables on each end of the battery see which speaker pops a lil bit from what i can remember there was green and green with black stripes the wires with the black stripes are negative the other one is positive

I have 11 cable figured everything out but there no pure black cable, is there anyway round this? There is a black cable if i follow where the audio cables come from but its on the main wiring harness. Its not cut it runs along with the other cables.

Manny

Ex. Club Member
found this in a thread this should help you.

Wiring Help for the Head Unit:

--POWER---

--FRONT SPEAKERS--

You will notice that there are TWO Black wires with red stripes. To test which one is the speaker and which one is the power wire, get yourself a fully charged AA battery and put the BROWN wire on one end of the battery and one of the Black with Red stripe wires on the other side of the battery. When you get the right wire the right hand speaker will make clicking noises.

According to the Haynes Manual, all K11 have front speaker crossovers somewhere in the dash. These crossovers (most likely very simple units) are for the optional A-Pillar tweeter which came in many higher grade models, in Australia this being fully optioned Series 2 SLX and all Series 2 Super S. For optimal sound quality, I highly recommend running your own wires for the front speakers as the standard series 2 equipment is rather lacking.

--REAR SPEAKERS--

my headunit had power going to it, ie it would take and eject cds and the red light underneath the fascia but no lights on the fascia. Read on a diyaudio forum that it may work if i put both the ignition live and permanent live from the headunit wiring onto the permanent live from the car and indeed it worked.
Would this in anyway be dodgy ie set the car on fire? lol

hi i've just joined the forum and need a little help! I have a 1998 micra si and have decided to put in a nice kenwood stereo but am having trouble with the wire colours. the don't seem to match up with the K11 wire colours previously posted. what i've got is a bundle of 5 wires and a bundle of 7 wires as follows:

1st group:

red with black stripe
black with yellow stripe
black with pink stripe
red with yellow stripe
white with black stripe

2nd group:

blue
red
yellow
brown
blue with black stripe
black with red stripe
black with white stripe

can anyone shed a little light on the matter? been driving around some time now without any tunes.... :-(
cheers.

Manny

Ex. Club Member
welcome to the club lucyvet. i dont know about wiring i got my done from a ice installer. sure another member will help you out.

Earthing your ICE

Hi peeps,

You can give your micra a nearly-normal earth for your ICE...

Since I wanted to use a cage install (the brackets did not fit my stereo very well) I just scotchlocked a length of cable to the black lead in the ISO adapter (which was not connected to anything on the loom side of the connector), crimped a terminal on the other end, and screwed the terminal to the place that the mounting bracket had just been taken off. Hey presto, a conventional loom, the stereo earths through its connector, and the hands-free kit that I'd already spliced onto the adapter also fires up fine.

Did you have any luck with this? I'm in exactly the same situation, except my car is sitting outside without any seats in with wires exploding out of the holes ready to fit the multiplayer. :(
Thank God for the motorbike and nice weather.

gtsnissanb

Official MSC Trader
Red/blue stripe - orange
Blue/White stripe - red
Red/black stripe - yellow
The black wire from the radio will have no where to go as the k11 does not have a direct earth wire so you must earth the radio i.e just wrap it around the cage the radio sits in make sure the actual wire makes contact with the cage an is secure

The other wires are speakers they're very straight forward
But if needed I'll post them too

The wires are as follows:
Blue/Black - 12v+ Ignition
Red - 12v+ Battery
Yellow - Goes to the passenger fuse box.
Black/White - RH Front Speaker.
Blue - RH Front Speaker.
Brown - LH Front Speaker.
Black/Red - LH Front Speaker.
Red/Yellow - LH Rear Speaker.
Black/Yellow - LH Rear Speaker.
Black/Pink - RH Rear Speaker.
Red/Black - RH Rear Speaker.
White/Black - Alarm.
There is no earth. So I cut one into the earth on cigarette lighter. Black wire.