K11 space frame help

Calling all micra nuts.. Ive just pulled the k11 apart to drop the xud lump in it but now considering changing plans. Im just wondering if anyone has space framed a k11? Or even just the front end? For my new plan to work ive got to make the front and rear track 6 inches wider! Not something im scared of but just after advice/ enthusiasm etc.

Attachments

• DSC_0052.JPG
    DSC_0052.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 224
OP
OP
K
Who wants a smaller engine ;) there's got to be someone whos gone all out on a k11 and done something different? I was mainly wondering how im gunna move the top mounts/ strut towers?

190Bhp seems to be too much for a Juke, all the ones breaking on Ebay have heavy front end damage.
I can only imagine what a K11 would be like with the same engine.

Having an engine that can use OEM mounts makes things a lot simpler, yes there would be other issues such as drive shafts and ecu together with several miles of wiring.

If you move the suspension top mounts the car will probably never go on the road again unless you can get it through a Single Vehicle Approval test.

You might have heard of Project Binky but if not

Teaser : Rusty Old Mini with full Celica 4x4 Turbo running gear, not finished yet and these blokes do it for a living!

OP
OP
K
Im really not fussed at how long it takes as its in my dry workshop and will be till i finish it. Wiring is not an issue as i have everything still sat in the car running etc and can shorten/extend where needed etc. As for the negativity on moving the top mounts etc, ive seen far worse on the roads and pass sva's. Im not after hearing problems, just solutions ;) (dont take that the wrong way). Im more than confident in what i do etc and this isn't the first time I've done something like this and it certainly wont be the last. Just never done it to a micra :)

I envy your workshop, my garage gets filled with stuff thats "Going on Ebay..." but hasnt

So whats the plan ?
Simply drop in a Pug XUD ?
RWD conversion ?

I'm wondering if using a Kit Car chassis and chopping it to fit a Micra Shell would be easier than moving the suspension around.
That way you could have prefabricated suspension at both ends

I saw a micra dirt track car on way back waiting for the ferry to Ireland, I went over to chat and he explained there really wasn't any micra to it, I think they were using vauxhall xe? Engines and spaceframe and fibreglass shell. It might give you a lead to follow.

OP
OP
K
Plan was to use the XUD but the cambelt snapped on my mates van so that will probably get put in that. Reason for spacing the front was to fit my 1.8t quattro gear in it. But after a couple hours with the tape measure last night i wont be moving suspension. Im gunna make a roll over jig to put it on then start cutting through the bulkhead to tie into the a pillar and go from there really.

OP
OP
K
I envy your workshop, my garage gets filled with stuff thats "Going on Ebay..." but hasnt

So whats the plan ?
Simply drop in a Pug XUD ?
RWD conversion ?

I'm wondering if using a Kit Car chassis and chopping it to fit a Micra Shell would be easier than moving the suspension around.
That way you could have prefabricated suspension at both ends

I love my workshop..
This was just after i gutted it to paint the floor etc hence why its empty ?

Attachments

• DSC_0031.JPG
    DSC_0031.JPG
    3 MB · Views: 223
Plan was to use the XUD but the cambelt snapped on my mates van so that will probably get put in that. Reason for spacing the front was to fit my 1.8t quattro gear in it. But after a couple hours with the tape measure last night i wont be moving suspension. Im gunna make a roll over jig to put it on then start cutting through the bulkhead to tie into the a pillar and go from there really.
1.8t quattro ... I shall be watching this. Are you thinking haldex or old fashioned a4/Passat b5 torsen?

Sent from my SM-N950F using Micra Sports Club mobile app

OP
OP
K
1.8t quattro ... I shall be watching this. Are you thinking haldex or old fashioned a4/Passat b5 torsen?

Will be using haldex mate. Got a whole running a3 that I'll be ripping to bits. Mate of mine might have a spare emerald ecu already mapped that may find its way to me so thatd save a lot of time.. But im just looking at what steering rack to use? I dont think the micra one would hold up for too long with 4wd ?

Nice I have a Passat 4motion so longitudinal torsion layout . I think haldex should be a better fit. Bit cutting and welding and itll go in lol
How do get around haldex control or will emerald run it?

If it's going to be wider you may be able to fit the a3 steering possibly depending on space . Location etc. Or a bit of both

My Passat launches hard and it's only pd130 so 1.8t (even at 150bhp) will be amazing in a k11

Even better if you could keep the same track width, some German dude I think did a 4motion swap in a VW up but it's all down to engineering I guess.

OP
OP
K
If the emerald ecu doesnt make its way to me ill be aticking with the standard ecu etc
Im gunna try and keep the standard width tbh after measuring etc last night its gunna be a lot of pissing about as ive got to gain 3 1/4 inch each side of the original turret. Gunna measure the width of the a3 steering rack and see if i can make new or cut and shorten the old arms. Driveshafts will have to be cut down and ill chuck em in the lathe, bore into the end of both halves put a phosphorus bronze dowel (interference fit) and tig back together and find someone to balance them. I also have a pd130 golf and nearly used that gear but its my daily so thought best not too haha

Sounds like a plan.
As for wiring I'm half way into my 72 bay window using a Passat 1.8t engine and upside down box swapped into it . And from what I read you only need power to ECU, coilpacks,injectors and an immo off ECU and supposedly it will fire

What you thinking for fuel tank I'm presuming pull the micra tank and cut out the wheel well to make space for prop and rear diff/subframe assy?

Depends where in the UK you are there should be a few driveshafts placed to balance them for you

Please tell me itll be used on the road

OP
OP
K
Yea luckily ive got a couple of vag gurus close to home so ill call upon them for a few favours.. If what your saying about wiring, imob off etc then id be better off getting it wiped before i pull it out the a3 then. Yea spare wheel well will be cut out along with the rest of the boot floor to frame up for haldex unit etc so will probably make an ally tank to sit where the rear seats were but tbh ive not got as far as thinking about the fuel tank yet. Im on the isle of Wight so would have to travel anyway to get them balanved but thats not an issue and im a little way off that yet ;)

OP
OP
K
Sounds like a plan.
As for wiring I'm half way into my 72 bay window using a Passat 1.8t engine and upside down box swapped into it . And from what I read you only need power to ECU, coilpacks,injectors and an immo off ECU and supposedly it will fire

What you thinking for fuel tank I'm presuming pull the micra tank and cut out the wheel well to make space for prop and rear diff/subframe assy?

Depends where in the UK you are there should be a few driveshafts placed to balance them for you

Please tell me itll be used on the road

And yes the aim is to use it on the road. Ive said to myself when it goes on the road i may consider the nurburg ring ?

I'm not sure the pricing on custom body panels, but one thing I thought would be cool and always wanted to do but couldn't even come close to affording was a nice big 4x4 frame with a hefty engine in it, but fit custom handbeaten scaled-up micra body panels to it

Essentially the same as what a standard micra k11 would look like if it was the same size as a landy

OP
OP
K
Fu
I'm not sure the pricing on custom body panels, but one thing I thought would be cool and always wanted to do but couldn't even come close to affording was a nice big 4x4 frame with a hefty engine in it, but fit custom handbeaten scaled-up micra body panels to it

Essentially the same as what a standard micra k11 would look like if it was the same size as a landy

Funny you say that.. Theres 3 fourtraks in bits in the workshop ? mate of mine and me built this for a little bit of fun

Attachments

• Mullac 20180410_124947.jpg
    Mullac 20180410_124947.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 167
Fourtraks are excellent fun offroad, massive torque and unstoppable if you keep out of the grooves cut by defenders.
I managed to get the front wheels in the air after the mud run at Abingdon 4x4 festival last time it was on, kept it skywards for quite a while.

OP
OP
K
Fourtraks are excellent fun offroad, massive torque and unstoppable if you keep out of the grooves cut by defenders.
I managed to get the front wheels in the air after the mud run at Abingdon 4x4 festival last time it was on, kept it skywards for quite a while.

Ive always loved fourtraks. Theyre absolutely brilliant. But back to the micra.. ? Im gunna go make a start on pulling the front legs off the micra this weekend!

OP
OP
K
If any of you lot use anything like Snapchat or WhatsApp etc and wanna see what goes on with the micra ill quite happily share the progress as well as on here :)

OP
OP
K
Had half hour on my break today so made the first cut on the micra and ordered some tube. Will cut the other side tomorrow if i get a chance. Also pulled the audi out of hiding, so will try find an evening or 2 to strip that down..

Attachments

• DSC_0055.JPG
    DSC_0055.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 202
  • DSC_0061.JPG
    DSC_0061.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 196
  • DSC_0019.JPG
    DSC_0019.JPG
    4.1 MB · Views: 203

Low Rider

Poindexter
Founding Member
Club Member
190Bhp seems to be too much for a Juke, all the ones breaking on Ebay have heavy front end damage.
I can only imagine what a K11 would be like with the same engine.

Plenty fun. There's quite a few K11's running plenty over 200bhp in various forms using an array of different engines. Some factory block (CGA3), SR20, MX5 RWD conversion, Honda K20 etc.