K11 + Smartphone connection

Hello,

I want to write a smartphone app that uses my car's ECU data.

The trouble I'm having is, my car's age.

I have an OBD2 Bluetooth adapter and a cable to convert my Nissan OBD1 port to OBD2 but it isn't working.

I tried by using Torque light app and that can connect to my Bluetooth adapter but it comes back that it cannot connect to my ECU.

I think it's the fact that my car uses OBD1.

I am trying to use a Nissan Micra K11 1997 to an old Android phone running 2.1.

Any ideas of better ways to do this?

been having a bit of a think about this as i have two raspberry pi's lying about that i am certain can do it.
ive heard of people that have made their own ecu's from scratch out of the pi's their basically like and old pc like win 95-98 sort of spec. 512mb ram, two usb's 800ghz processor, hdmi output, lan port, yellow video out and aux audio out. £30 :p and its one board the size of a 20deck :p runs of 5v usb power , same plug as samsung phones (mines s3 mini). it also has some other bit for add on boards and programming stuff, can put relays on it and stuff, you can pritty much adapt it to whatever you want from media center to robot controller :p

so i reckon consult cable for £20, rs232 - usb for bout £2, one of the pi's, should be most of whats needed.

getting it onto the phone ill have to look into, not sure if you can do vpn over bluetooth which would be the easiest, other wise
http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=18916 that shows how to get it to connect via usb cable to android and you can use you phone or a tablet as the screen for the pi.

the pi takes 700mah to run so you need a good usb socket, i know my stereo one is 1A and i have a 3 cig socket thing which has a 1A usb in it too.

so the only thing left would be the software. ive seen conzult which is windows only, think consult is windows only.
also seen ecutalk and datatalk, which i dont know if they will work and theres one called torque but think thats obd2 only.

if i can get ecutalk installed onto the pi and working then the rest is pritty simple. can put a board on so that it will shutdown proper when you turn the power off capacitor powers it for long enough to shut down. and can write some code to make it do all the connections and stuff on bootup. so you might have to wait a couple of mins for it to boot up after turning on but still. you could even plug a hard drive in with a load of films, tv shows and music on and use vlc media player to play them :p

in my digging i found some other people were saying you can get a rs232 to bluetooth connector and bluetooth it to laptop/phone but then its finding the software for it:/ that was on a different car (300sx i think)

im curious now so ill have a look into the software a bit more while im waiting for payday :p