K11 saggy doors

Hi,

I'm new to the forum as i have recently bought a blue K11 on a W plate 1.0 3 door Celebration. Really enjoying it so far, but both my drivers and passenger doors are sagging and spoiling my happiness a bit.

From reading a few 'for sale' ads, its quite a common issue on 3 door K11's. Any tips on how to rectify this issue?

Ross

frank

Club Member
thanks for your reply (Y). I'm not sure i'm with you though, how do you mean? Are the hinges adjustable and i can reset them?

all the k11 doors i have removed have had a locating boss protruding from the A pillar (which stops any adjustment, unlike most cars) and i have had to either remove the door and bash the hinge and boltholes, or else "crank" the back of the door up with a plan of wood on the sill :eek:

Thanks Noddie. What do you mean when you say theres very little wear? Did your doors sag at all with these hinges on?

the pin starts to wear against the holes that its located it. the hinges were taken off a car in a breakers yard, the doors on the car hadn't dropped at all.
Il get some close ups of the pins when i get home if you like?

Here's the pics:
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

hope that helps

Attachments

• Hinge.JPG
    Hinge.JPG
    53 KB · Views: 2,490
  • Hinge2.JPG
    Hinge2.JPG
    80.2 KB · Views: 2,772
  • Hinge3.JPG
    Hinge3.JPG
    63.1 KB · Views: 2,459
  • Hinge4.JPG
    Hinge4.JPG
    67.5 KB · Views: 2,519

B14KLR

Ex. Club Member
i had to 'adjust' the mothers drivers door today using franks method: worked a treat! be careful however, as i done this before on my micra a few years back in a rush and the bottom of my door folded :O !

Oh, cool! What was the procedure ... about 6 foot of wood? Door a jar or door wide open?

Noddie: They look fine. Are your hinges off a 3rd or 5rd?

hi i was reading this and saw it said the hinges cant be adjusted to stop the door sagging
but this is what i did on my micra and it solved the problem

Cheers for the pic frank ... a picture speaks a thousand words and all that. "The Frank Method" worked a treat on the passanger side, but the driver side is too far gone. :down:

Noddie: I'll take those hinges off you for £10 posted as paypal gift?!

Cheers for the pic frank ... a picture speaks a thousand words and all that. "The Frank Method" worked a treat on the passanger side, but the driver side is too far gone. :down:

Noddie: I'll take those hinges off you for £10 posted as paypal gift?!

call it 12 and you have a deal ;) :D il PM you the email address and you can send me your postal address :)
If you get pay tonight Il get them sent off in the morning.

frank

Club Member

np ross :grinning: let us know if yours are in fact adjustable eh

frank

Club Member
I dont understand how they would be adjustable? suppose you could pack out one hinger with lead like house doors?

most cars have the holes slotted where they bolt onto the A pillar ed, but all the k11,s i have worked on had a boss/protrusion sticking out of the pillar on 1 of the boltholes, to positively locate the hinge like a (dowel)

nah, can't see how my ones could be adjustable Frank.

I like a good barter! Payment sent! (Y)

I dont, i just felt a bit stingy haha. but the money is going to a good cause :D

Arr right, i see frank. oh well, there is more than one way to kill a pig as you have demo'd

andy

Ex. Club Member
yes wing off (or just the top and front bolts if the bottom ones look like snapping :eek: )

i only took the 1 bolt out that was closest to the bonnet hinge when i replaced my hinges not the hole wing...............be easier with amother pair of hands to hold the door,or rest it on some axle stands with rags on so ya dont scratch it or even worse drop ya door............

my k11 decided to have a worse problem........ i realised the door was drooping on the hinge, and it needed a good slam to close it..... until, one day, i slammed it, and it wouldn't open again. and hasn't moved in 2 weeks despite ripping a door card, and neary wrecking my door in the process.

Guys Ive just had this problem on a K11 I have in stock and found a much simpler and less intrusive solution.
The hinges can be adjusted with washers, I found that if you open the door right out and support the back of it with a jack, slightly loosen the top bolts between the hinge and the door, then completely remove the bottom bolts, raise the jack enough to let you slip a couple of 1mm washers between the hinge and the door then refit and tighten all bolts, allows you a lot more accuracy in aligning the door than randomly bending it with lengths of wood! If 1mm doesnt sort it, swap them out for 2mm and so on.

r-reg-sr

-------
Site Supporter
c,mon mate youve made wood redundant now:grinning:
thanks for the tip ,would this put more strain on the door hinge causing faster wear?

The washer method is what ive done as my hinges were recently replaced buy the previous owner but they just wasnt quite right. It didnt have the right noise when you closed it. so i used a small washer between the door adn hinge and now its perfect. never looked back.

cheers scott

frank

Club Member
yes there are many ways to skin a cat :p packing the lower hinge will effectively move the door towards the rear tho, and as long as the gaps will allow that, then fine
i would,nt say it was any "simpler" than using a wooden stretcher (like they do in the factory) tho

My passenger side door does this.

So i hold the door up with a fair amount of pressure and tell my friend to bounce on the sill (Because we all know stock K11's are bouncy castles right? That helps)

Although i'd probably stick to franks method, its more 'normal' hahaha.

Just fixed my sagging micra door with 6 foot long 3x3" piece of wood. I just levered it up a bit at a time until the door closed smoothly. Great idea whoever invented it.

:):):) Who needs to go to a garage or spend the hard earned money on new parts, sorted out my doors using the fab wood trick. It worked a treat good as new. Cheers guys !!! :):):)

Does anyone know if "the wood" trick can be substituted by just using a jack in the same position ? I've just got my wife's K11 through the MOT by having a complete sill welded on and do not want to risk popping the weld off. When I got it back from the repair the door required more effort to shut it and despite trying to adjust the striker plate it still isn't smooth. Any help appreciated.