k11 rear disc calliper disassembly?

asdame

Ex. Club Member
hi can ya help me.
my rear left calliper is seized and the handbrake mechanism doesn't work (other calliper's ok) so i tried to take apart the calliper but i have a problem.

with the piston out the manual says you remove the circlip with circlip pliers inside the calliper but access is blocked cos there's this thick black collar between the central piston screw and the piston cylinder wall only giving a 5mm gap.
noticed a spring element inside that collar so i used a socket and g-clamp to try push it in but didn't budge.
tis really frustrating and had to reassemble it to park the car back.

neone have any tips?

Oh crap:doh:
i tried to push in the black spring cap collar tday using a pipe & vice and appears that the multiple fingers down the spring cap has buckled outwards (maybe the other end is totally seized up) which also traps the circlip in. so its basically ######ed:down:

i phoned local jap parts shop and no one has any cos my SLX rear disc is sooo rare. the nissan dealers quoted me £135 for a new rear calliper:eek:
guess i'll have to burn some cash grr

hey silver_si thx for the link ;)
yep it's got the calliper but in the basket they add a £60 surcharge on top of the £59.41 calliper = total £140.31
ya know if they remanufacture a brand new calliper or restore an existing calliper? says the surcharge's refundable if i return the old unit in suitable remanufacturable order...but mine has a bashed in spring cap trappin everything, casting's all there though, would they accept that?

btw soz to bug ya but d'ya know where to get a rear brake compensator unit? was testing the brakes one day until one of the units piston has let go under pressure leakin loadsa fluid out of it..basically i have no brakes.

gee this restorations gona b exhaustive and £££o_O

maybe it'll help if i post a pic soon.

here's a pic of the calliper
p9150196mq6.jpg

and inside the calliper bore with the crushed cap
p9150201np0.jpg

would Brakes International accept this old calliper if i send em it after buying their new one?

Yeah they will as the internal parts are replace when they remanafacture the calipers anyway.
If these calipers are the same as fitted to N16 Almeras, be careful as they seize real easy, have done both in 6 months on my father in laws.

oh yess
i got reply from steve at brakes int and he says Budweg only requires the calliper to be intact for reuse therefore mine's OK for surcharge refund:grinning:

ordering new one now. fingers crossed.

just installed me new shiny callipers tday and i finally have a normal working handbrake :) . have yet to sort out the hydraulics one day but i have a feeling the brake regulator has a leakin seal, prob have to service the unit or, if not, replace it at expense. also need a flaring tool for the new pipes, i'd prefer borrowin instead of buying one so will hav to look about.

r the calliper mounts cast iron? cos i've sand blasted all the old bits and see spots of rust tday. maybe in future i should immediately paint it after blasting.
could i use normal body spray primer & paint or do I use that black/red high temp paint from halfords? i wanna do em in silver to match the new callipers.

Back