K11 Power Loss

Hi all,

I have a 1995 K11 1 litre and over the last month or so, while driving at any speeds ranging from 20mph up to 70mph ish, my micra will suddenly lose power and when you try and accelerate, the car kinda kanagroo's, if that makes sense (very very juddery), it does this for a few seconds and then will smooth out and behave itself again. It started doing this once a week but now its almost every other day.

From reading other posts on here, would I be right in assuming its going to be throttle body troubles? Its idleing fine and it pulls fine most of the time, so to me that would elminate a mis-fire? I had new plugs and leads on it about 4 months ago.

If it is the throttle body, how good is the re-soldering trick? If not, how much would a new throttle body roughly cost, dont mind a 2nd hand one but will that eventually cause me troubles also?

Many thanks in advance!

Glenn

Ex. Club Member
It may be the throttle body. To answer your questions about the throttle body, if you re-solder it from experience it only lasted about 2-3 months for me, but i guess it could last longer.

I managed to get a 2nd hand one for 65 quid i think and mine has lasted me for like 2 years now so so-far-so-good!!

i would have said just getting a 2nd hand one is your best bet. Hope that helps!

ollie240585

Ex. Club Member
This does sound very similar to the problem my car had. But mine was down to NATS randomly cutting in and out and cutting fuel to the engine. Not saying it is that though!

The throttle body is a good place to start.

I replaced mine, picked up a 2nd hand one for £20. Although it was a waste of time!!!

K10Daz

RIP Colin McRae 1968-2007
Everyone is saying throttle body is the best place to start - Ye it might be the throttle body thats causing the problem - but it might not be - why not check cheaper things first.

Check the Dizzy for corrosion,
Check the spark plugs for condition / HT leads too!
Check / replace the fuel filter (could be choked)

From a mechanics point of view and my personal opinion id go for the cheaper route first - if none of them solve it then you have done no harm in servicing your car have you?!

Daz :alien:

ollie240585

Ex. Club Member
Everyone is saying throttle body is the best place to start - Ye it might be the throttle body thats causing the problem - but it might not be - why not check cheaper things first.

Check the Dizzy for corrosion,
Check the spark plugs for condition / HT leads too!
Check / replace the fuel filter (could be choked)

From a mechanics point of view and my personal opinion id go for the cheaper route first - if none of them solve it then you have done no harm in servicing your car have you?!

Daz :alien:

He done his plugs/leads about 4 months ago, so if they're nackered by now then there's something more serious wrong!

I would agree with checking the dizzy cap, and might as well change the fuel filter as it'll only be a couple of quid.

K10Daz

RIP Colin McRae 1968-2007
ah right - i didnt know the service history of the car you see.
Remember to properly gap the new plugs when fitting them as it could arc out and spike the computer!

Alienfish360

Awesome Dawson
I've seen various micra's 4 or 5, and on each I changed the throttle body and they've ran perfectly after use.

I've never had an issue with K11's with the Dizzy, leads or filters

OP
OP
C
Cheers for the advice. Going to tackle the throttle body tommorow and tell you how it goes. Part of my job is repairing PCBS so I should just about be able to tackle it!

If its no good, I think Ill go the route of finding a 2nd hand one and seeing how it goes.

Fingers crossed its just dry joints though!

Many thanks for the replys.

59 bhp is more than enough

Deactivated Account
if its kangarooing kinda and a loss of power it really does sound like a missfire, check you gettin a strong spark to all cylinders then go from there.doesnt sound like the throttle body problem if it starts okay and idles. on smaller engines a misfire is less noticable. espeially if your still getting a spark but a really weak one

Gurpreet

Ex. Club Member
coil packs? o_O

ok im no expert...

These TBs... when do they usu. see the end of their days... some guy I was talking to said around 80k miles usu. Anyhow... ok-ish guide... just dont like the part where the person says... "I wasnt sure which ones to reheat." Needs clarification but cheers.

OP
OP
C
Right, did a re-solder on them, and touch wood, at the moment at least, its running fine, took it for about a ten mile drive and it behaved itself all the way.

Many thanks all for the advice

Moschops

Ex. Club Member
Club Member
After changing the leads/dizzy cap/rotor arm/fuel & air filters yesterday my car has started running just like this, fine at idle and in traffic but out on the road it kangaroos with a quick flash of the check light when it does it. One time it cut out completely with the check light flashing madly but it started again no problem. Sometimes when it jumps I hear a relay click by my right knee. ECU shows a code of 55.

Could I have upset the AFM wrestling the airbox on and off or something?

mean micra

www.mightymicra.co.uk
i have just changed my TB today and its solved the Kangeroo issue with the car and pulls really good... tis a great feeling to get the car back better than before...

Hope it runs all fine from now on fingers crossed... :)

Has anyone from around the South Wales area tried the soldering with success?
Sounds like it may be worth a try with mine before replacing it, scrappies here are just trying to rip us off wanting well over £100 for another and wouldn't want to try fitting one myself anyway.
If here's anyone who's tried it and had success then would you be willing to do mine for me? I'd pay for your time and anything you needed to go with the job. Let me know an approx. price in a PM if you could do it.
Thankyou.

Has anyone from around the South Wales area tried the soldering with success?
Sounds like it may be worth a try with mine before replacing it, scrappies here are just trying to rip us off wanting well over £100 for another and wouldn't want to try fitting one myself anyway.
If here's anyone who's tried it and had success then would you be willing to do mine for me? I'd pay for your time and anything you needed to go with the job. Let me know an approx. price in a PM if you could do it.
Thankyou.

Alternatively if I were to buy a complete throttle body for it then could anyone fit that for me. I will pay.
I'm desperate to get something done to it. Garages are charging too much to do it and I have no one who can do it for me. It's annoying me with the missing and also it's started occassionally cutting out on me now when it does it, wanting to get it done well before the MOT too as am concerned that it may not pass the MOT on emissions (it gets very gasy when it does it.
I'm good for it practically anytime, just need my bank card through to get cash.