K11 P0340 code

Have a 51 plate K11 1.0 auto. Engine management light came on. 72k miles. Symptoms: very difficult to start when engine hot; fairly easy to start when cold. Garage said cam chain has stretched and £900 to replace, so advice is take to scrap yard and get £60. Apart from this fault, car is in excellent condition having been kept in garage. Took to another "tame garage". They spent quite a lot of time on the car and replaced camshaft position sensor with genuine Nissan replacement (£72). They also cleaned throttle body but no difference so also concluded replacement timing chain needed.

I've done basic work on cars before (including timing belt on a VW), but feel changing timing chain on this Micra is a bit beyond my capabilities and don't feel confident - although probably have most of the tools to do the job. I did change the water pump on the K11, but lack of space around the pump made this a difficult task for me. However, feel very relunctant to take car to scrap yard since it runs well. Any one know of a garage near Bournemouth that could change the timing chain at sensible cost? This is my preference. Otherwise, is it possible to change the timing chain myself? I have a double garage, but no pit. Can the job be done without taking engine out of car? I only have Haynes manual for guidance. Not sure if kits come with sealing rings for oil galleries, or best place to get a kit. GSF sell for £90, but no idea if they have everything needed. Preference would be to get a garage to do this job.

Advice would be greatly appreciated.

Ian

Not sure if the water pump is on the same chain/belt as the timing chain but if it is, it's only a few extra steps

If you have another way to get to work or wherever you need to go, there's no reason that with some persistence and a haynes manual and maybe some guide/tutorial videos from youtube that you couldn't do it yourself. It might take a week or two and you might have to buy a hoist to get the engine out and do it that way, but it'll still be less than £900 and you'll get to keep it afterwards to use on other jobs.

You can do it mate, sounds like you have the skills and worst comes to worst you just get it towed to a garage and return the tools and you won't be that much out

Back