K11 none Starter

chipedwood

Ex. Club Member
I have been reading around these forums at similar problems to what i'm having but when comparing lots of different threads there always seems to be a few different answers.

Anyway what was happening was for a week or 2 my car started to struggle to start. It would start to run for a few seconds but the engine light would flash. The engine didn't sound or feel right while it was started for these few seconds. It was like it was missing or not firing in sequence.

I have seen all sorts of solutions from changing the fuses to changing the immobilizer system.

I'm not overly great with cars but I'm willing to give anything a go that i can have a try at. I fitted the central locking and radio to this car, but thats mainly electronics which i don't have that much of a problem with.

The car is an R reg K11 1.0 with about 80k on the clock. Has no service history but has run perfectly since I got it in August.

Any help and suggestions would be great

Many Thanks
Geraint

bens851

Ex. Club Member
have you checked the condition of the sparks and leads?
just a suggestion? might not be electical, well its doubtful that it is

OP
OP
chipedwood

chipedwood

Ex. Club Member
You mean the older looking front grill one. Before they started putting chrome on the grill?

I have the older looking one so i guess thats pre facelift.

Erm so how do I fix such a problem and how can I check if this is the case?

There is a fusebox in front off the battery.
It holds the fuel pump fuse along with the headlight fuses.

On mine the legs of the fuse had corroded off, so it just needed a new fuse and clean of the contacts.

I have heard that others have had to cut the wires below the fuse box and add a new fuse holder.

OP
OP
chipedwood

chipedwood

Ex. Club Member
I went to check and there seems to be no problem there. Just a little white residue inside it. I twisted one of my spark plugs and then tried the engine again and it tried to turn a bit. Got a bit of a burr then cut out again. Battery is pretty much dead now though :( Will have to get some jump leads on it tomorrow and try again.

Concidering that moving my leads and plug seemed to make a difference what would this suggest? Faulty plugs or leads? More important how would I change those leads?

frank

Club Member
chippedwood

disturbing that injector fuse may well have pinpointed your fault !
it is a common fault i think

White residue indicates damp and corrosion.

Remove the fuel pump fuse and carefuly scrape the contacts that the fuse legs go into with a small screwdriver.
Spray a little WD-40 onto the contacts and put your fuse back in.

OP
OP
chipedwood

chipedwood

Ex. Club Member
I check the fuse more carfully this time. When i pulled it out it was VERY still when it eventualy came only one leg was on the fuse

i looked into the slot and the other leg was in there. Anyway long story short it was so corroded that inside the plastic was white. Now i need to find a new fuse and see if that was the problem or not

Will keep infomed

frank

Club Member
chipedwood

looks like you,ve found your fault !
you will probably end up cutting the wires and fitting an inline fuse

Nice one Chipedwood.

There may be some spare fuses in the fusebox inside the car.
To the right of the steering wheel under a small cover.

If not you can temporarily borrow one of the same value from something not so important - Heated rear screen, rear wiper, etc.

OP
OP
chipedwood

chipedwood

Ex. Club Member
Well, it seems to be sorted. When I say seems to be sorted I mean that its going to be ok until it rots again. Going to give it a service soon as well so will try and figure some kind of way of protecting it more.

Unless anyone else knows of a better method to protect the fusebox.....
Spray some WD-40 in and around all the fuses in that fuse box.
The headlamp fuses can do the same thing.

Ours never went wrong again in over a year before it got crashed in to.