K11 Naming Convention?

Should we change the K11 naming convention?

• Yes, the current system is too confusing.

Votes: 4 50.0%
  • No, who the hell do you think you are?

Votes: 4 50.0%

• Total voters
Having spent a lot of time on the Facebook group recently, I've noticed there's a lot of confusion over the various models within the K11 range, especially for new owners. I've heard people talk about 'facelifts', but are actually referring to the pre-facelift with the slightly different grille thing. The K11C is sometimes referred to the as the 2nd facelift (coilpack), but sometimes the first major facelift (98-00) as well.

I then noticed that the Almera guys refer to their cars simply as either 'Phase 1' or 'Phase 2', for either the N15 or N16. Everyone seems to know what that means and there's no confusion at all.

That got me thinking; Who came up with the current naming convention we use to separate our K11s, was it Nissan, or was it the community? Perhaps another question is can we change it, or should we change it?

I've had a further think about it, and have come up with a few suggestions:

collage.jpg

Separate the models out into two phases based on the pre-facelift and major facelift, then their respective facelifts:
Phase 1 (red)
Phase 1 facelift (light blue)
Phase 2 (green)
Phase 2 facelift (dark blue)

Each model has its own designation:
Phase 1 (red)
Phase 2 (light blue)
Phase 3 (green)
Phase 4 (dark blue)
or
K11A (red)
K11B (light blue)
K11C (green)
K11D (dark blue)

Any thoughts on this? I've added a poll to see what the general consensus is. Other suggestions are of course welcome :)

Last edited:
its only the aussies that mention the facelifted grille stuart, because they only imported k11,s till 98 ish
the major uk changes were pre-facelift/facelift/coilpack eh

I only consider the slight trim changes as just that...trim.

There are really only two models.

Pre 98 and post 98

That's pre Renault and post Renault.

The other differences like headlight lenses, bumper styles and Grille shapes are all incidental.
The major change came in 1998 and even what people consider the micra k11c is still just a trim change as it's still a post 98 facelift micra.

Engines, interiors and ecu models make no difference to the model number.

I find the naming thing a bit confusing too. I like the ABCD idea.
At what point / reg' were Renault bits added ?
Cheers
Dave:)

I only consider the slight trim changes as just that...trim.

There are really only two models.

Pre 98 and post 98

That's pre Renault and post Renault.

The other differences like headlight lenses, bumper styles and Grille shapes are all incidental.
The major change came in 1998 and even what people consider the micra k11c is still just a trim change as it's still a post 98 facelift micra.

Engines, interiors and ecu models make no difference to the model number.
Renault only became involved post 2003

Renault bailed nissan out in 1998 and as a "transitional " faze of cars the k11 micra and p11 primera and n14 sunny were all updated with Renault electronics, switch gear and design cues from the Renault design team.

The primera became the ugly "face lift" p11, the sunny became the almera and the micra, which was outselling the clio 5-1 was facelifted partly because of their restructuring, partly because of Renaults safety conscience. The grille-less facelift is much safer for pedestrians...

Needless to say that they did have Renault money, if not a great deal of Renault parts....

Renault bailed nissan out in 1998 and as a "transitional " faze of cars the k11 micra and p11 primera and n14 sunny were all updated with Renault electronics, switch gear and design cues from the Renault design team.

The primera became the ugly "face lift" p11, the sunny became the almera and the micra, which was outselling the clio 5-1 was facelifted partly because of their restructuring, partly because of Renaults safety conscience. The grille-less facelift is much safer for pedestrians...

Needless to say that they did have Renault money, if not a great deal of Renault parts....
I've only ever read that Renault (French government) became involved with a $49 billion bail out in 2003, that's when Renault parts were put into Nissans??? and when the design changes were implemented ???

27th of March 1999 was the official conglomeration of Renault-nissan group. But had been sharing tech and support since early 1998.

Handy tip, all K11A's (original K11's) don't actually come with ARB's fitted, you can only fit one at the front and you need to weld in points for the rear. Also the seats and interior is different and steering wheels don't have airbags as standard lol

Handy tip, all K11A's (original K11's) don't actually come with ARB's fitted, you can only fit one at the front and you need to weld in points for the rear. Also the seats and interior is different and steering wheels don't have airbags as standard lol

Unless it's a super s.

All super s cars have anti roll bars front and rear.

I usually go with
K11A (pre-facelift)
K11A.5 (Pre-facelift with the grille change and a few other bits)
K11B (1st Facelift)
K11C (2nd Facelift)

IMO this is the easiest and simplest guide I would go by to determine what type of K11 you are trying to identify perhaps with one addition the year of the production run?? :)

Andy :D

Unless it's a super s.

All super s cars have anti roll bars front and rear.

Hi,
IMO if you add in the different model types: L, GL, GLX, Super S, SI, SR, S, Sport, SE, SE+, SE+Sport etc it gets messy and complicated due to the minor bodywork changes but I could be wrong?? :p

Andy :D

Ahh yes i forgot about the Super S lol That got a quicker steering rack too if i remember. The seats are fantastic, had some in my K11, there so comfy and supportive

I might as well correct this to "most" K11A's, just a slight mess up on my part

No idea why I haven't been getting notifications about this thread.

Anyway, the trim levels aside entirely, I was edging more towards the major body styles. The Super S is a trim level, but under a revised naming scheme would still be a K11A/Phase 1. The SR would be a K11B/Phase 1 facelift.

My car for example is an Equation (base spec), but would fall into the K11C/Phase 2 category, just the same as the top of the range SI would.

Sent from my B1-730HD using Tapatalk

The super s and Sr were only available as a pre facelift... However, the Sr was after Renault stuck their nose in.

They're still a pre facelift, k11 a or whatever.

No changes.

The SR was pre '97, Renault didn't get involved with Nissan until 1999, and the P12 Primera was the first car that Nissan built in conjunction with Renault.

Back