K11 N-CVT box worries

Ok so where to start im very new here and this is if i remeber correctly my first post.

I have a K11 1.litre L reg model L in white.

she drives lovely apart from feeling like driving a brick wall around corners (non power steering)
yesterday drove round a mini island and on the straight the N-cvt light flashed 3 maybe 5 times and stopped. stopped her and checked fluid levels all fine but also noticed i have a small leak not sure if its from sump or from gearbox and im worried that my gear box seal is on its way out.

on investigating a moment ago i also found that the throttle housing under the black box where the air filter is that the side of it seems to have been stuck back on with some form of high temp silicone sealer and im worried that its ######ed.

any help for a newbie micra lover would be like a christmas and birthday together for me today.
http://www.micra.org.uk/images/smilies/doh.gif
ps sorry for spelling and gramma have dyslexia and struggle at the best of times lol:doh:

r-reg-sr

-------
Site Supporter
hi welcome
ahhh seems like the non nats immobilizer type k11(notts) for short:grinning:isnt that were your from?
experts will be along soon
one option maybe to go manual if its a BIG problem

haha if im being honnest and also embarassed i only have auto lisence but untill i got caught late lkast year i was driving manual since i passed in 2001. had a long list of cars some nice some suck but so far this is the smallest cheapest to run and the most reliable thing ive had. yeah im from notts although i dont usually admit to it lol.

ah thank you frank. yeah i tried searching but im quite useless at using the site it just took me to like general discussion and i started searching through but lost all hope after a few pages lol

thought so. well like i was telling R-REG-SR theres a scrappy round the corner from me and hes got the exact same car as mine pre facelift auto with good box still has throttle housing and maf and all ecus still in tact i might just do a bulk buy just for the odd chance one goes down i can just hopefull transplant. if i do have to do an ecu swap or something of that kind i wont need my key reprogramming will i as i dont think i have nats i couyld be wrong though

The checking procedure above is fine for telling you what code the CVT control unit has come up with but I had a similar problem once.

I bought a CVT micra last year, when I got it back there was auto gear oil everywhere and loss of drive, yards from a Mini roundabout.
Someone had changed a CV joint and left the small circlip off the end of the driveshaft, allowing the shaft to slide into the CV joint more. This meant the driveshaft was slightly shorter than it should have been.
When driving back I must have thrown the car into a tight corner at speed and popped the driveshaft out the gearbox.

I'd jack your car up and grab the inner cv joints. If they are not in right you will be able to move them in and out of the gearbox without much trouble.
Worth checking especially if you have a monster oil leak.
If you have emptied the cvt by popping a shaft and you check the cvt with the flash code method above it will come up with all sorts of codes.

Remember to check the cvt oil level with the engine at operating temp and the lever in 'N'.

Hey thanks for the replies guys and sorry for my late response it seems its easier to diagnose and fix problems with my car a lot easier than it is with my mrs. but oh well the car comes first at the moment. had car up on ramps found leak coming from sump seems the copper washer was crushed. as for the N-cvt light its not come back on since that day although i did have some issues today as i was travelling a little quicker than the speed limit says i should and well a set of lights changed so i went for the brakes and stopped after a very ungracious slide and a squeak lights changed and i went to pull off and nothing just sat the revving its self. and then lurched forward about scared the heck out of me as i thought id been hit from behind and then i drove on in a very sheepish manner. is that normal for the gears to disengage in such a way because of the braking or do i just need to (apart from drive a bit slower and pay more attention) replace the gearbox.

thanks for all your help i really do thank you all for being so kind and helpfull

Dave http://www.micra.org.uk/images/smilies/doh.gif

ok the first one i can do the second i have no haynes manual and well even though i only have an auto license i dont know much about the boxes so if you can give me some small direction as to where to locate i can do the rest thanks :)

Hey thanks for the replies guys and sorry for my late response it seems its easier to diagnose and fix problems with my car a lot easier than it is with my mrs. but oh well the car comes first at the moment. had car up on ramps found leak coming from sump seems the copper washer was crushed. as for the N-cvt light its not come back on since that day although i did have some issues today as i was travelling a little quicker than the speed limit says i should and well a set of lights changed so i went for the brakes and stopped after a very ungracious slide and a squeak lights changed and i went to pull off and nothing just sat the revving its self. and then lurched forward about scared the heck out of me as i thought id been hit from behind and then i drove on in a very sheepish manner. is that normal for the gears to disengage in such a way because of the braking or do i just need to (apart from drive a bit slower and pay more attention) replace the gearbox.

thanks for all your help i really do thank you all for being so kind and helpfull

Dave http://www.micra.org.uk/images/smilies/doh.gif

The exact same scenario with screeching stop at the traffic lights, the reluctance to drive away/ revving, then lurch after stopping quickly (& yes even the eventual sheepish drive off :laugh: ) happened to me a few weeks ago.

I'd certainly be interested as to any explanation as to why the reluctance to move away following the sudden stop happened? As mine (touch wood) hasn't done that since. Could it be the electromagnetic clutch/ ECU getting itself a bit confused?

Dave

solarice

Ex. Club Member
I'd adivse getting your hands on a haynes, as theres a few things you can check. The absolute worst case is the clutch powder is on its way out which means no drive.

Clutch will need refilling which in itself is super easy once its off the car, the hard bit is knowing how much powder you need to put in...something i never found out im afraid.

Other possibles (from memory) are the brushes for the clutch need changing, gearbox oil level, gear linkage, V-belt has worn and tbh probably more haha. I would start with the oil level check first though...also if its not the correct colour (turning black for example) get it changed.

I only used / got to play with an auto for about 3 weeks...so theres plenty of info to track down online, if you put in the searchy time or become obsessed with winning :laugh: