K11 Micra immobiliser (NATS)

Hello everyone.

I became the owner of a fabulous little K11 today. Only 45k miles from new, and owned originally by my friend's elderly dad.

It's got a new MOT. I am looking forward to owning a proper car again. But there is one problem.

It's only got one key!

I have a solution. Will it work?

1. Copy the original key. Not the NATS bit.
2. Cut the end off the original key.
3. Stash it out of the way somewhere permanently (epoxy, or tape, or something).
4. Use the copies to start the car.

Am I missing something?

Hello everyone.

I became the owner of a fabulous little K11 today. Only 45k miles from new, and owned originally by my friend's elderly dad.

It's got a new MOT. I am looking forward to owning a proper car again. But there is one problem.

It's only got one key!

3. Stash it out of the way somewhere permanently (epoxy, or tape, or something).

Am I missing something?

Hi Chris 667, When I bought my k11, I also had one key and that one was the central locking key remote, I then had an extra key cut buy a lock smith who cut keys for cars. This one had a speical extra part added, as if you tried to start the car without the little extra pin in the key fob the engine would not start. So I have two keys one orignal & one extra which cost me £65 to be made. And now I hope you enjoy your car as i have so far.

yours Peter0003

Hello everyone.

It's only got one key!

Am I missing something?
It's definitely an option, wouldn't go telling your insurance though. These cars would be pretty easy to steal without the immobilisers. I'm sure companies can cut and code new keys as Peter said, both are options but yours is cheaper

"It just looks like a scrotum" - Jeremy Clarkson on the K12

Tadley Shoe Repairs & Key Cutting inTadley, Hampshire supplied, cut and programmed a key. £35!

Very impressed with the service. They are next to the big Sainsburys. I left them my keys, bought lunch, and it was done.

He said it would be harder to do with later model Micras, so I was lucky. Apparently with later cars, I would have to have driven the car to him so he could use another box.

Of course, then the seller sent me another key, but that's another story.... :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Back