• Please only use these forums for blogs, they are not a discussion forum

K11 Micra (First Car)

Nice thanks. Have you install this fog light in your car?

Edit: I got it so you will put this fog light on rear bumper.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can put it anywhere. I just look up on google images.

u8yzu3em.jpg
qybepu8u.jpg
yme6u4ub.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
cgten
Fitted the rear fog today. It was a nice and easy job, just a lot of faffing around filing the hole so the light would fit in. I had already wired the unit into my homemade harness adapter, so all I had to do was get the wire out of the boot and behind the bumper. Luckily I found this grommet, so I punched a hole through it and fed the wires through:

VYQacKe.jpg

Hacked a hole into the bumper using a Dremel:

q580umY.jpg

I decided to mount it offset. I decided not to have it central mostly because I know I'd never be 100% happy that it was actually central. At least if it's offset then it's intentionally offset.

7ihslWt.jpg

C0jMJdF.jpg

In other news, I also tightened up the central brake light, so that no longer rattles. I also just purchased some headlight protectors for a decent price, and removed a load of stickers from around the car, including the original dealer sticker that was fading badly. Tomorrow I'm seeing my mate so may have some progress on the wheels.

OP
OP
cgten
Just got off the phone with the insurers. Alloys and lowering added to my policy, only an additional £35.

Interestingly they had my fogs down as rally spot lights. I corrected her on that, but I might call back to double check as I'm not sure she understood me. When I said I'll be lowering by 40mm, she thought I said 4 metres, and that wouldn't be covered by my policy o_O

OP
OP
cgten
Apologies for the thread neglect guys. Been busy with a new job at work and I've been working away at these wheels over the last few weeks.

The wheels I got were pretty battered, so they needed a refurb. It was my first go at refurbishing wheels, and to be honest I'm not very happy with the outcome. Now that they're on the car though, it improves the look so much. I'll probably go back and redo them one by one at a later stage.

First off I needed to sand the wheels back and get rid of any bubbling/chipping paint. I spent ages trying sandpaper, then I moved onto the electric sander, before eventually going for a flapwheel attached to my Dremel. Once the bad paint was off and flattened down, I applied JBWeld to the deep scratches and curb damage on the rims:

MwXGU4p.jpg

I left that a while to cure, so sorted the centre caps in the meantime. The existing ones were knackered, so I peeled the silicone stickers from the plastic caps, and replaced them with a set I bought from Taiwan.

YyR62ij.jpg

Not a perfect match, but they look stock and make them look brand new:

fRXCbZM.jpg

Once the JBWeld had cured, it was lots of sanding to smooth out the high spots and then a dusting with some acid etch primer (UPOL Acid 8), followed by a generous coating of filler primer. I used UPOL High 5 high build primer, which was nice to use. Once it dried though, it was clear I missed a few bits when sanding and had to go over some bits again:

u3udxxi.jpg

kw79RRP.jpg

I did find myself spending a lot of time trying to get them perfect, and I was fighting a losing battle with them. I didn't want to be spending months on end getting some stockies up to scratch, so I did the obvious parts and pressed on. I started with some metallic silver paint, starting with the bolt holes and deep parts of the wheels (like between the spokes), to avoid getting too much heavy spray on the higher parts. To help spray the bolt holes without getting paint on the wheel face, we made a shield out of some cardboard:

G6f8y5w.jpg

With the first coat of silver on, it was then a process of drying, sanding, applying another coat and repeating the process until a few coats had been built up:

JD0e7Ut.jpg

gz5XgP0.jpg

After a few coats of silver, I started with the clear coat. I did several coats on the front side, and 2 coats on the inside of the wheel. Again, it's not perfect, but I will be able to polish them once the lacquer has had a few weeks to fully cure.

Zsv5OCb.jpg

fCCxDAc.jpg

This afternoon, I took the wheels and tyres to have them fitted. I managed to get the tyres fitted to the wheels and have all four wheels balanced for £10. It was supposed to be £30, but they put a nasty scratch in one of the spokes when using the fitting machine. I wasn't too bothered, it would have been worse if I'd put the extra time in to make them 100% perfect and it happened. He did also offer to have the wheel resprayed, but I'd have to wait until Monday. I wasn't bothered, I'll sort it out in my own time.

kgCQ355.jpg

Then it took about 20 minutes to get the wheels onto the car:

2EGgUru.jpg

LdpSOL1.jpg

I took a drive 45 minute drive with the family afterwards, and they seem fine to me.

7f5qZ7M.jpg

That's it so far. Got my 35mm springs to go on next, and I'm still in the middle of refurbishing the adjustable panhard rod. I'll post pictures soon!

OP
OP
cgten
Got myself some central locking motors off a second facelift on Monday. I look forward to fitting them haha.

I was going to get a generic control box for the motors, but does anyone know if I can install an OEM central locking control box that won't interfere with NATS?

Great thread - am looking to do a few mods and the rear wiper is defo one of them, as is the ciggy lighter (to use a phone charger, and as aux power). Keep the posts coming! :)

OP
OP
cgten
Picked up a Primera GT yesterday. With a second baby on the brink of eruption, I needed something a bit bigger and more practical:

dfd21a60038f160eb2fee0ca74b88426.jpg

But worry not. The Micra will be kept in the family (going to my brother when he passes his test), so work will continue.

Since my last post I've had central locking fitted and have repainted the cam cover.

OP
OP
cgten
Told you I wouldn't be neglecting the car. It's been a while, but I've been busy with work/Christmas/new baby, so I haven't had much change to update my thread. Anyway here's what I've done so far.

First up, I changed out the steering wheel for one from an Almera Tino (which is the same wheel they use on the N16 Almera, P11-144 Primera, and second facelift K11 Micra - minus the controls).

otQFv0H.jpg

The wheel itself bolted straight on, but the spigot needed to be swapped due to the extra wiring from the audio controls and the different air bag on this wheel. Luckily the spigot screws straight on in place of the Micra one, but the plug from the steering column needed to be changed. We had one spliced in so the original connector remained.

The controls themselves were modified by a friend of Jamie's (who's also now a friend of mine). All it took was some resistors in the unit itself, and a wire going from the spigot to the back of the head unit via the included 3.5mm remote port.

I also got some a-pillar trims for my tweeters from @Jamie Sykes. I had the tweeters themselves for a while, but never had the trims. I pulled them off a GX a while back, but the bolts were so tight I had to rip them off. Luckily I had some Velcro to fix them back in place:

gd7FZdH.jpg

ZEm4Nk7.jpg

Trims fitted:

uJHzB44.jpg

Gcc0Qym.jpg

I also got the tracking done, and all four wheels balanced. The previous guys to have done the wheel balancing did it wrong as I got some bad vibration on the motorway, but it's as steady as a rock now.

r99PrZ3.jpg

Last edited:
Told you I wouldn't be neglecting the car. It's been a while, but I've been busy with work/Christmas/new baby, so I haven't had much change to update my thread. Anyway here's what I've done so far.

First up, I changed out the steering wheel for one from an Almera Tino (which is the same wheel they use on the N16 Almera, P11-144 Primera, and second facelift K11 Micra - minus the controls).

otQFv0H.jpg

The wheel itself bolted straight on, but the spigot needed to be swapped due to the extra wiring from the audio controls and the different air bag on this wheel. Luckily the spigot screws straight on in place of the Micra one, but the plug from the steering column needed to be changed. We had one spliced in so the original connector remained.

The controls themselves were modified by a friend of Jamie's (who's also now a friend of mine). All it took was some resistors in the unit itself, and a wire going from the spigot to the back of the head unit via the included 3.5mm remote port.

I've gotten my hands on an Almera wheel the same as yours, I haven't been able to swap it over yet (just waiting for some hollow torx allen keys in the post), how do the radio controls plug in? I have a Sony radio that supports wheel control with the 3.5mm jack. But that means I'll need a cable to run from the wheel to the radio, right? Been looking around but can't find what I'm after.

Also, unrelated, I see you added the pillar speakers at the same time. I too got my Almera wheel and the pillar speakers at the same time. That's interesting.

OP
OP
cgten
You need to play with the resistors in the controls themselves, so that each button provides the correct resistance as expected by the head unit. You'll need to find the documentation for your head unit.

The wire itself is just two core wire IIRC, connected to a 3.5mm jack connector. The other end is connected to the steering squib, which you'll also need from the Almera due to the extra connections it contains.

I'm going to have another go soon at wiring up the radio controls.
The plug at the back of the spigot seems to be different to the Micra one, but does it still fit? What pins are what for the controls?
I've read that one is ground, does that also go in the lead?

OP
OP
cgten
A thread revival?!

Not sure if anyone still reads these forums given how much Facebook seems to have pretty much killed most message boards. Anyway, the car has been through a lot in the last couple of years, so I thought I'd catch anyone still reading up.

Since getting a Primera the Micra has changed hands a couple of times. It went to my brother first so he could learn to drive. That never happened so I ended up lending it to a friend long term whilst he sorted his own car out. It then went to another friend for a couple of weeks as a stop gap between cars, and now it's finally back with me for a little bit, whilst I sort a few things on the Primera.

Here are a few bits and pieces that were never shared here before.

New Bilstein shocks and lowering springs, along with an adjustable panhard rod:
KBjWhEM.jpg

uVoMfv2.jpg

Almera GTI wheels fitted with Uniroyal Rainsport 3 tyres:
WeIIWIy.jpg

Installing pop-out rear windows:
YyCGmLI.jpg

KTXXQeq.jpg

vjliXgk.jpg

Boot light:
7swzfSz.jpg

Electric front window conversion:
rTWszI7.jpg

SR seats, a direct bolt in and much better than the original facelift seats. The rears came with a 60/40 split as an added bonus too:
K3QmBgO.jpg

K1ISqns.jpg

Repainted the valve cover some time ago, it went from red to black with sanded lettering:
h5JWBwF.jpg

Colour matched mudguards:
j19j04q.jpg

pzpt0Iq.jpg

After I lent it to a friend, he did a few mods on it too, including repainting some of the trim pieces Ford Sea Grey (he was planning on repainting the whole car eventually)
WIaFMqh.jpg

Phase 4 headlights with black inners:
EA9cL9t.jpg

uEr60mQ.jpg

Then he crashed it into a wall and broke one of my March clusters :(
It has some older March clusters on for now. Don't look as good though.
Ix6KVSV.jpg

He went round with the bumper gaffer taped to the bodywork for a bit, before eventually we zip-tie stitched it together until I put a new bumper on.
An1yGsj.jpg

gk2C5gS.jpg

As of right now, the car is looking really sorry for itself. There are new dents in places and the interior is a right mess where it was used for pizza deliverys and carrying tools about. Doesn't help that I had previously painted the dashboard and some other interior parts, which had been scratched up over time and look awful. Still drives fine though. Only problem is that the gear shifts are a bit crappy, but I think that may be a clutch cable adjustment issue.

I managed to score a phase 4 dark grey interior at the breakers today, so I'll be fitting that over the next few days.
Vf4RmzU.jpg

Here's to hopefully restoring this car to its former glory :)

LiamC

I've ruined my car ?
A thread revival?!

Not sure if anyone still reads these forums given how much Facebook seems to have pretty much killed most message boards. Anyway, the car has been through a lot in the last couple of years, so I thought I'd catch anyone still reading up.

Since getting a Primera the Micra has changed hands a couple of times. It went to my brother first so he could learn to drive. That never happened so I ended up lending it to a friend long term whilst he sorted his own car out. It then went to another friend for a couple of weeks as a stop gap between cars, and now it's finally back with me for a little bit, whilst I sort a few things on the Primera.

Here are a few bits and pieces that were never shared here before.

New Bilstein shocks and lowering springs, along with an adjustable panhard rod:
KBjWhEM.jpg

uVoMfv2.jpg

Almera GTI wheels fitted with Uniroyal Rainsport 3 tyres:
WeIIWIy.jpg

Installing pop-out rear windows:
YyCGmLI.jpg

KTXXQeq.jpg

vjliXgk.jpg

Boot light:
7swzfSz.jpg

Electric front window conversion:
rTWszI7.jpg

SR seats, a direct bolt in and much better than the original facelift seats. The rears came with a 60/40 split as an added bonus too:
K3QmBgO.jpg

K1ISqns.jpg

Repainted the valve cover some time ago, it went from red to black with sanded lettering:
h5JWBwF.jpg

Colour matched mudguards:
j19j04q.jpg

pzpt0Iq.jpg

After I lent it to a friend, he did a few mods on it too, including repainting some of the trim pieces Ford Sea Grey (he was planning on repainting the whole car eventually)
WIaFMqh.jpg

Phase 4 headlights with black inners:
EA9cL9t.jpg

uEr60mQ.jpg

Then he crashed it into a wall and broke one of my March clusters :(
It has some older March clusters on for now. Don't look as good though.
Ix6KVSV.jpg

He went round with the bumper gaffer taped to the bodywork for a bit, before eventually we zip-tie stitched it together until I put a new bumper on.
An1yGsj.jpg

gk2C5gS.jpg

As of right now, the car is looking really sorry for itself. There are new dents in places and the interior is a right mess where it was used for pizza deliverys and carrying tools about. Doesn't help that I had previously painted the dashboard and some other interior parts, which had been scratched up over time and look awful. Still drives fine though. Only problem is that the gear shifts are a bit crappy, but I think that may be a clutch cable adjustment issue.

I managed to score a phase 4 dark grey interior at the breakers today, so I'll be fitting that over the next few days.
Vf4RmzU.jpg

Here's to hopefully restoring this car to its former glory :)
Wow I remember this thread from years ago, time flies. Good to see this car back, it was always my favourite OEM+ style on the page back then. Really liking the black headlights, if you're needing to sort out facelift March lights I'll see what I can do for you getting stuff over here in Ireland where there's a lot of imports. I like the activ dashboard, always thought the blue strip down the middle looked nice and could go well with your Sr seats. I know someone who has matching door cards for those seats too if you'd be interested

Welcome back, look forward to seeing this more

OP
OP
cgten
..if you're needing to sort out facelift March lights I'll see what I can do for you getting stuff over here in Ireland where there's a lot of imports...

I am actually on the lookout for at least the passenger side cluster. Not likely, but I was hoping someone would have been in the same boat as me who wanted to sell their remaining cluster, rather than splitting a whole set.

New interior fitted. Here are the before photos:

WdCPnWA.jpg

TmnVSCN.jpg

ZSTHbdv.jpg

Dashboard out:

hYFou5o.jpg

7HNnJgF.jpg

And new interior in:

qnWYEw0.jpg

Car is a much nicer place to be in now. I also had a go at tinting the instrument panel transparencies. Decided that doing this rather than fitting different colour bulbs means that I can control which parts of the controls shine orange and which stay their factory colour, such as the temperature dial in the middle, which I didn't want to have an orange tint if possible.

0M6LYsE.jpg

You can see here that I've had to scratch off a layer on the silkscreen. This layer is blue, and is there to make the filament bulbs inside the control unit shine through white. The same method is used on the gauge cluster. Taking this layer off before adding the orange film makes it more vivid.

L6pbzWj.jpg

Not very neat, but it was a rush job and only a proof of concept. I'll redo it at a later date.

XR25xwo.jpg

I don't have a final photo of this yet. It was still daytime when I finished this, and each time since I've forgotten to take a photo. The parts I've removed the blue tint effectively look really good, but it's obvious where I've missed some of it because they're much dimmer. I'll try and get a photo soon.

And a quick photo whilst parked at my local McDonald's

l1j6XT7.jpg

Hi, Bro what the procedure of conversation for wine up windows, to electric ones. For the k11 micra thanks

Sent from my SM-G615F using Micra Sports Club mobile app

Alternatively if you get actual electric window components from a K11, the motor replaces the winder (the electric one really is just the normal winder but with a motor attached), and some wiring is needed for the switches and power. There are exsisting plugs on the inside of the car which you can use for the power and functions usually. I've done the conversion twice, the first time, the car barely had anything I could use as it was super-bottom-spec, that or I didn't notice things. Recently I did a far cleaner install utilising exsisting plugs but the car did already have central locking and stuff.
There's probably a thread or two (or a hundred) on here somewhere.

Alternatively if you get actual electric window components from a K11, the motor replaces the winder (the electric one really is just the normal winder but with a motor attached), and some wiring is needed for the switches and power. There are exsisting plugs on the inside of the car which you can use for the power and functions usually. I've done the conversion twice, the first time, the car barely had anything I could use as it was super-bottom-spec, that or I didn't notice things. Recently I did a far cleaner install utilising exsisting plugs but the car did already have central locking and stuff.
There's probably a thread or two (or a hundred) on here somewhere.
Ok I was thinking about the actual electric ones.so that said which means all the holes for bolting is there. So will i have to change the door panels to that have the door switch. And does it really worth going through the change. cause I still find the winder is ok, cause if the battery die and the electric windows are down there won't work. Sense i bought the k11 1.0 i haven't drive it as yet. I'm waiting on a drive shaft. So i really don't know much about the micras.And the little white lid thing that keeps the gas thank door close is missing. Just a hole is there i don't know if the line drop inside or not. Thanks

Sent from my SM-G615F using Micra Sports Club mobile app