• Please only use these forums for blogs, they are not a discussion forum

K11 Micra (First Car)

Yeah was considering black grilles, but there are a few Micras with black grilles out there already. I do agree they would suit the car pretty well.
Try 2 tone grilles....
eva4y9ut.jpg

y6usyge4.jpg

Makes nostrils appear smaller ;)

Sent from my HTC One S using Tapatalk 4

OP
OP
cgten
The car sailed through the MOT this morning - no advisories at all :D

Got my relays from @Magpie42 for the front fog lights. Had a look at the fuse panel on the driver's side and have no idea how on earth I'm supposed to get the relay in there. It's really tight and there's no obvious way of removing any dash trim to reveal more for access. In fact the hole is so small that once my hand is in there trying to reach the socket, it blocks my view so I can't see where I'm going. Any ideas here?

Magpie42

Actual Magpie.
The car sailed through the MOT this morning - no advisories at all :D

Got my relays from @Magpie42 for the front fog lights. Had a look at the fuse panel on the driver's side and have no idea how on earth I'm supposed to get the relay in there. It's really tight and there's no obvious way of removing any dash trim to reveal more for access. In fact the hole is so small that once my hand is in there trying to reach the socket, it blocks my view so I can't see where I'm going. Any ideas here?

I can and have actually done it...

Had to virtually dislocate my wrist though :eek:O

In hindsight, you could hold it in some molegrips and fit it in?

Sent from the Magpie's magical nest using Tapatalk

OP
OP
cgten
SPOILER ALERT...

lxqEIxL.jpg

Just received the black wrap-around from @davyboy. He even added some performance bracing.

The red one will probably be for sale at some point.

Also received my new replacement foglight bulbs. Will be able to test once I swap the stalk and fit the relay :)

Magpie42

Actual Magpie.
SPOILER ALERT...

lxqEIxL.jpg

Just received the black wrap-around from @davyboy. He even added some performance bracing.

The red one will probably be for sale at some point.

Also received my new replacement foglight bulbs. Will be able to test once I swap the stalk and fit the relay :)

ha...see what you did there with the "spoiler alert" thing....thought you were going to tell me what happens in Game of Thrones or something....phew....

OP
OP
cgten
Did a little bit today. First I managed to get the plate holders installed:

6hI52LG.jpg

Then we decided to do the cam cover. Getting most of the screws off was easy enough, but three of them just wouldn't budge. One of them came out like this:

K5uwyGd.jpg

Eventually we got the cover off and scrubbed it down with some degreaser:

pDNzHnv.jpg

Gave it a jetwash:

kHUgUOq.jpg

And it came out like this:

M1gTX1x.jpg

EkRF3mp.jpg

Not perfect but with a little more time, it would have been a lot better. We decided to paint the cover red to match the car. We used the upside-down paint lid to protect the oil hole and these washing machine transport pegs to cover the spark plug holes:

OFEm16D.jpg

Fr8nSvW.jpg

I used Halfords red brake calliper paint, but this stuff was way too thin and would have required a ton of coats. Instead we decided to use standard AJ4 paint, since the cam cover never gets too hot to touch, even when it's at running temperature.

The result isn't great, but here it is:

7cflouL.jpg

+25BHP:

CIWGFqj.jpg

We'll be going back to this later on. We ran out of time so we were more concerned with not having the cover installed. When we get time, we'll rub it back and paint it properly, then sand off the lettering.

OP
OP
cgten
Thanks Clodo. It doesn't look too hot up close, but I'll fix that once I get time. Payday tomorrow, so I'll be ringing the insurers to start declaring things, then I can press on.

All I need to declare is:
  • Fog lights with yellow tints (do they need to know they're yellow? I assume they do)
  • Rear light clusters
  • Wrap around spoiler
I'll also ask about:
  • Alloy wheels (OEM)
  • Lowering - only asking really, I'm not planning on touching that for a while, and even then it'll only be 40mm.

Magpie42

Actual Magpie.
...ha! Those washing machine transport bolt things! I knew they'd come in handy one day!

Good work Stu!

OP
OP
cgten
500px-GoodNewsEveryone.jpg

GOOD NEWS EVERYONE

Just got off the phone to Admiral and having declared the front fogs, Jap rear lights and spoiler, I only have to pay an extra £5 per month.

Better yet, I asked about wheels and lowering, and for a <50mm drop, it would only add an extra £10 on top of that.

OP
OP
cgten
So now I'm looking for some nice OEM alloys. I put up a thread in the wanted section but no luck so far. Anyone seen a set of these around?

DSC01120.jpg

OP
OP
cgten
Yeah foglights make the front end look so much better. I'm itching to get the spoiler prepped and those March rear lights fitted. Just need to find a decent foglight to go in the rear bumper and sort out the wiring looms.

Will also be getting the bump strips colour coded when the weather plays nice, but may just take the bumpers off and spray them indoors ;)

He does. If you google image Micra SI you'll get two variations. The ones above with the smaller badge and ones with the large centre.

BreakerImage_c0bc449e-1676-40d3-a6a1-1d1b82bb3f51.jpg

Noticed this one too, they look like SR wheels on a euro facelift. Look at that OEM black grill *drools*

ndsUjoT.png

Last edited:

Clodo

Club Member
The rear fog in my cab lights work you just have to play with the pins :) and paint the bulb red with a bit aj4 :) all I've done x

OP
OP
cgten
@Shamalam
Has those alloys on his SR if I remember when we met at the scrappies?

Yep, just spoke to him on FB about those :)

He does. If you google image Micra SI you'll get two variations. The ones above with the smaller badge and ones with the large centre.
Noticed this one too, they look like SR wheels on a euro facelift. Look at that OEM black grill *drools*

Yeah the ones with the large hubs don't look as good in my opinion. Can't see that second pic though mate.

The rear fog in my cab lights work you just have to play with the pins :) and paint the bulb red with a bit aj4 :) all I've done x

Yeah I could do that, but I want symmetrical reverse lights. I think a bumper mounted fog light will look cool anyway, give it that sweet import look :cool:

OP
OP
cgten
Ahh yeah those ones. Found a set on eBay. Call me weird, but I like wheels with spokes that don't point in any one direction, because they look alright on one side but not the other... if that makes sense...

OP
OP
cgten
Ooh, I just remembered from my meeting with @Enuo that I may need to change the shocks on my car. After giving it a shove, it keeps rocking like a boat. Had a quick look for prices on new units, and they range from £50 to £100 per corner (with rears generally being cheaper than fronts). Is there a recommendation on which brand to look out for? I plan on replacing the springs too, so may end up saving my money up and doing the job in one go.

Enuo

Glorified Electrician
If you plan on replacing springs too it works out not that much more expensive for lowering springs. OEM will always be best value for money with shocks, but the value comes from their longevity, so with your plans for coilovers etc i'd consider finding a good set from a late facelift in a scrappy's or something.

OP
OP
cgten
Not 100% on going with coilovers since insurance will kill my wallet. I could always ask though and see what they say. In the meantime should I be able to replace the shocks with stock ones and and the springs with ~40mm lowering springs?

Enuo

Glorified Electrician
Stock shocks are good down to 30mm drop from experience, not tried lower springs than that. More than about -35 you wanna consider a panhard rod, eapecially if wider tyres/wheels are going to be considered.

OP
OP
cgten
Definately getting a panhard mate. Will be going for Si alloys, so won't be wide. Better to be safe than sorry though and I may end up with some wider wheels in future anyway.

I've seen a lot of people using lowering springs, but don't seem to say if they're using stock shocks or not.

OP
OP
cgten
Went to the scrappers again today. Managed to get a pre-facelift boot handle, some connectors for the rear cluster adaptor loom I'm making, boot release catch, a 12V relay for the front fogs and a parcel shelf with speakers.

Got home and inserted the relay, then installed my foglight stalk. Connected the purple connector into the back of the drivers side fog and:

JoU16TY.jpg

Success! Just need to get some wire for the passenger side now. Does anyone know which gauge wire I should be using? Another thing I've noticed is the way in which the new indicator stalk works. I thought that the three-position switch goes like 'off'/'front only'/'front and back'. The front fogs only come on when the switch is in position 3 (see picture), but then the back one comes on too. If I select position 2 having come from 3, the rear light comes off and the fronts remain lit.

h5RVJzH.jpg

What do you guys reckon, bad stalk or is this by design?

Thanks Chris. If I had some more light they would be a lot better. I'm really happy with the condition, especially for the price of £0.

I put some fuel in it for the first time yesterday. It was just hitting the red line on the gauge and £15 later it was just under half way :D Still getting used to pulling off in the thing, especially when I'm at the front of the queue at a set of traffic lights, the pressure of not looking like a knob for stalling builds up. I'm surprised how quickly it catches up when I do have to restart it though. It accelerates pretty quickly, but as expected it takes a bit of flooring to get it to speed up once it gets moving.

The indicator stalk is on the left side of the wheel as well (the car I learned in had it on the right), so for the first day I had it, I kept putting the windscreen wipers on when approaching a junction. :oops:

Going through the exact same thing, learned in a Corsa Diesel so can easily clutch control with no throttle, having a micra its like THROTTLE! Dread going on a hill on a red light with traffic behind me :(

OP
OP
cgten
Should NOT come on, on their own. When the sidelights are on they should come on

Yeah just went out and checked. There's a mechanism in the stalk that rotates the outer switch to turn the sidelights on when you turn the fog switch. On mine at least, this doesn't engage unless you turn the fog switch to position 3. It ought to engage when in position 2.

nah mines is same as yours. sidelights come on with both fogs on, front fog lights on doesn't turn the sides on.

For the fogs themselves to come on the sidelights must be on at a minimum

OP
OP
cgten
Second fog light wired up today. I found some spare wire in my bag of special bits and pieces. Will get a picture later.

Also, my previous rear speakers are for sale if anyone is after a set. No shelf, just the speaker units (and wires/screws).

Magpie42

Actual Magpie.
Second fog light wired up today. I found some spare wire in my bag of special bits and pieces. Will get a picture later.

Also, my previous rear speakers are for sale if anyone is after a set. No shelf, just the speaker units (and wires/screws).

...are they damaged from all that jungle you listen to?

Magpie42

Actual Magpie.
That's fine...I really don't need them...that's just the Magpie in me again...shiny things...must have....

OP
OP
cgten
Got my lowering springs in the post today, thanks @Magpie42!

XpkUN6S.png

They'll sit in storage for a bit until I sort out rears and insurance etc.

Also got my adjustable panhard rod and strut brace from @mottymicra on saturday. Will be prepping those over the next few weeks.