• Please only use these forums for blogs, they are not a discussion forum

K11 Micra (First Car)

SirChris

Educated Bodger
@McMicra yeah we figured. Didn't bother in the end the car don't need them ans I dont care for any of the super s stuff at I cut em out. Made way for air flow and intercooler.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

SirChris

Educated Bodger
Lol you could do brake ducting. No worries. I rekon you should cut speed holes in it

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

OP
OP
cgten
Some more progress. Today was a nice day so I decided to try and install these cup-holder door pockets.

QGlgoPa.jpg

Here's the door card before the pocket was swapped:

hb6QJ4J.jpg

...And after:

zbkbjM2.jpg

And back on the door:

Qe6hcWC.jpg

Yeah I know the colours don't match, but I'm in the process of working this out. I may end up swapping the whole interior for a 2nd facelift one if possible, or I might have another stab at vinyl dying it all one colour :)
Whilst I was down there I noticed some free money on the floor under the passenger seat:

FGA2Eye.jpg

I'll be spending that on some drinks to put in my new cup holders.

OP
OP
cgten
I plan on fitting Almera seats if I do end up changing the seats over. If you have any other 2nd facelift interior parts, I may be interested.

Specifically I'm looking for some of these:

32f9c22c.jpg

And some A pillar trims with speaker grilles:

0b0b3912.jpg

OP
OP
cgten
Yeah, he ran into the same problem with the tweeter wiring as me. Never found out how he sorted it. Probably went for a custom loom which is what I'll do.

OP
OP
cgten
I just found some of these on eBay!

0atl.jpg

Bought them last night (for £120 including postage - ouch!) and the should be here next week sometime. I understand these Jap spec lights don't have built in fogs, is that true? If so then I can wire in a separate light MX5 style until I find a way of stealthing one into the bumper or something. Other than that and having to wiring in then other reverse light, they should be plug and play?

I was pondering the issue of the odd reversing light on UK spec vehicles. According to VOSA there is no legal requirement for a car in the UK to have a reversing light. I had considered fitting a Euro spec nearside lamp cluster to my car then using the rear high level brake light as a reversing light.

OP
OP
cgten
Interesting... But isn't the high level brake light a legal requirement (for cars that don't have separate break lights to the rear lamps in the cluster)? I'm going to wire in both reverse lights for symmetry, but I guess if I wanted to, I could substitute the drivers side reverse lamp with a red bulb for foglight.

OP
OP
cgten
Aaha. Just found a March Cab on here, which appears to have a rear foglight built into the rear bumper:

71f73d26.jpg

If I can get it looking like that, it'll look factory and therefore awesome.

Clodo

Club Member
I just found some of these on eBay!

0atl.jpg

Bought them last night (for £120 including postage - ouch!) and the should be here next week sometime. I understand these Jap spec lights don't have built in fogs, is that true? If so then I can wire in a separate light MX5 style until I find a way of stealthing one into the bumper or something. Other than that and having to wiring in then other reverse light, they should be plug and play?

I just brought a set of these :D there waiting at my mumma and dadda bears house to be picked up :) x

OP
OP
cgten
Another trip to the scrapyard today. Managed to find a boot / fuel cap release mechanism and keyless fuel door. I'll get round to fitting this when I have some spare time. I did forget to take the lid part of the boot latch though.

Also had another look for that second fog light connector. Took the passenger wing and headlight off, it's nowhere to be seen. I did cut another connector from a scrap Micra so I may be able to splice that in with the one on the driver's side.

I also found a new header tank, which was really grimy, but it came out good as new with some rice and boiling water.

OP
OP
cgten
Tacho gauge from @Shamalam has arrived, along with a foglight indicator stalk!

I4akwdq.jpg

Plugged it in and works straight away, nice and easy. The backlight bulbs were a bit dim though, and the LCD display didn't light up at all. I swapped the backlight bulbs from my existing cluster with this one, so it now all works fine. Unfortunately the mileage is at ~120,000 on this cluster, whereas the car has only done just under 47,000. I took my old cluster apart to see if it could be fixed with some clever soldering (swapping the chips), but one look at what appears to be the chip where the info is stored made it clear that wasn't going to happen:

jtJxrnF.jpg

I guess it's just a minor annoyance I'll have to live with. I took a note of the reading from the old display and the reading of the new display at the point of installation, so I'll always know the true mileage. The only problems I'll face will be when I come to selling it, or when it has an MOT. Not concerned with the selling problem because I wouldn't be selling it for much anyway (not that I plan to anytime soon), not too sure about the MOT though, any thoughts?

drand

1st Micraversary!
No problem with MoT, they just record the mileage on the dash. It looks like you've done 70,000 miles in a year if you compare consecutive certificates, but that's all.

OP
OP
cgten
Yeah I was looking into the cost and legalities of having the mileage adjusted professionally. It's legal as long as you declare it when selling, and it's for a legitimate reason. I'm not too concerned right now, and as long as I keep the note of the mileage on both displays, with some simple maths I'll be able to get them set to the correct reading down to the last mile.

@Agent_Sm1th, when you rang up, did they say to just send the cluster to them, or did they want the whole car?

OP
OP
cgten
Hey @Clodo, how did you manage to get around the rear foglight situation with those tail-lamps? Also, did the clusters just plug straight in and work?

OP
OP
cgten
Ahhh I see. I got confused by Stani's thread, where he had both white parts as reverse lights. I know he had to wire it like that as the UK loom only sends a wire to the passenger side, but didn't know it came with a fog as standard. Thanks for the confirmation Clodo, will have a play with them once they get here. I might still opt for twin reverse lights and a bumper mounted fog because symmetry.

OP
OP
cgten
So I found out that the birthday thing was probably to avoid import duty, since it's masquerading as a gift, very sneaky :cool:

Here are the lights, look like they're in good condition:

wQXr3Tn.jpg

Hope to get a bit of time over the next few days to try them out.

Magpie42

Actual Magpie.
...but what if it IS your birthday and the birthday you thought you had wasn't actually your birthday?

Whoa.

Sent from the Magpie's magical nest using Tapatalk

Clodo

Club Member
Magpie.... youve blown my mind :O Even the box has bows on :p ..... but no candles....or balloons :( ... id complain.... x

OP
OP
cgten
Today I took the foglights out ready for the MOT on Thursday, I also did a quick test fit of the new lights:

9vvidfp.jpg

As expected, they fit perfectly, though getting the originals out was a pain with all that black sealant stuff. Connector also fits, but all we need to do is rearrange some of the pins. We only tested the drivers side, but the indicators work just fine. The reverse light comes on when the rear lights are on, and the brake light is fine. All it looks like we need to do is swap the rear lamp wire and have it connected to the bottom of the cluster.

Also gave the car a good clean on the outside, a polish and wax:

YskchMe.jpg

AOQZCgA.jpg

Took me all afternoon, but really pleased with the result.

OP
OP
cgten
Yeah was considering black grilles, but there are a few Micras with black grilles out there already. I do agree they would suit the car pretty well.