• Please only use these forums for blogs, they are not a discussion forum

K11 Micra (First Car)

OP
OP
cgten
That blue GX at the scrappy had one, but it was on the floor in front of the car. I couldn't find the other, so either I didn't look hard enough or it was hidden away in the engine bay or something. Too late to check now anyway, as that car is probably long gone :(

OP
OP
cgten
My new car mats have arrived:

KX21Pui.jpg

Hopefully they'll fit nicely. The description said it would fit a K11 so let's see.

OP
OP
cgten
Yeah these fit beautifully. They're a hell of a lot lighter than the other ones too, which were universal fit and looked a bit worse for wear.

OP
OP
cgten
Today we spent a load of time polishing the spoiler and plinth. First they had a run over with some 2000 grit to kill the orange peel and then some 3000 grit to smooth it out:

LTYHUUh.jpg

After that they had underwent two passes of resin polish and two passes of scratch removal polish. They then had three coats of wax to shine them up and protect against the rain:

bMVBrwT.jpg

The photo makes it look a bit pale, but the colour is really deep and will almost certainly show the rest of the car up once fitted. The rest of the car will get the same treatment, so no worries there. I haven't mounted them to the car yet, as I need to order some Tiger Seal and wait for a nice dry weekend.

On another note, I've been looking into using vinyl dye to recolour the interior plastics black (but not glossy black - more of a charcoal colour). Has anyone managed to successfully do this with vinyl dye spray cans? I was under the impression that vinyl dye penetrates the plastic surface for a permanent finish, but the Halfords stuff I used peeled off easily and appeared shiny in places. Any thoughts on this? Should I be using something like Rit Dye instead?

OP
OP
cgten
Another weekend, another update. Today has been a terrible day in terms of weather, so once again progress was slowed down. But today we still managed to get this done:

The plinth was complete so we took the service panel from the bootlid and removed the existing black one:

9ZpDH58.jpg

03RCqjQ.jpg

And here is the newly painted plinth fitted. We also polished the number plate light lenses:

2OfQNjS.jpg

GGawyE2.jpg

Believe me when I say that getting the rubber gasket back onto the plinth before fitting was a complete nightmare. Next up we got to work tinting the foglights with Lamin-X:

kKyjlhS.jpg

This stuff just sticks to the lenses and we used a heat gun to flatten it out and remove any bubbles. The excess is then just trimmed off and the units are placed back in their housings:

d1Nfy0k.jpg

HPeLscT.jpg

Here they are fitted to the car:

Cs4khWM.jpg

X6ncpnY.jpg

Also, here's a bonus picture of the painted horns, seeing as it was too dark to photograph these when I fitted them:

fonOuXI.jpg

Overall I'm pleased with how it's looking so far. I still need to sort out the peeling lacquer on the back of the car and finish colour coding the bump strips and wing mirrors, then it's onto the engine bay.

Thanks for reading :)

Does the three door version have any rear speaker mounts? When I looked the only stock speaker mounts were in the front doors. I was thinking of mounting some on the parcel shelf, but if there's an option to mount them in the rear and have them hidden, then that would be ideal.

Not sure if you've already found one but i got a spare factory fitted rear parcel shelf with the speakers built in :)

OP
OP
cgten
Not sure if you've already found one but i got a spare factory fitted rear parcel shelf with the speakers built in :)

I managed to get hold of some speakers, but I'm just waiting on @Shamalam to get back to me about getting the rest of the shelf (I messed mine up pretty badly BUT IT WORKS... barely)

OP
OP
cgten
@Shamalam PM'd you matey.

I've also ordered a 1:24 scale March kit from eBay. What I want to do is try and replicate any mods on my car onto the model and attach it to the dash or perhaps the middle of the parcel shelf. Would be even better if I could wire in LEDs for the head/tail lights so they come on when the actual ones do :p

Magpie42

Actual Magpie.
@Shamalam PM'd you matey.

I've also ordered a 1:24 scale March kit from eBay. What I want to do is try and replicate any mods on my car onto the model and attach it to the dash or perhaps the middle of the parcel shelf. Would be even better if I could wire in LEDs for the head/tail lights so they come on when the actual ones do :p

You're beginning to sound like @MicraPRO !!!

Sent from my RM-892_eu_euro1_205 using Tapatalk

may just be me but I feel the car would look a lot better with those grills in the bonnet black rather than red :)

Photo0144_zps4794390b.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
cgten
Black would look good. I might grab another set of grilles, paint them black and then swap them over whenever the mood takes me.

OP
OP
cgten
Currently in the market for facelift digital tachometer instrument panel. I really don't want to have to get one of those boost gauge style ones off eBay haha.

Looking nice. It's very satisfying sorting out all the problems and making your car better isn't it. Your mates Polo is spot on too, lovely lows. On the insurance front, remember, any modifications you make from how your car came from the factory are considered modifications to standard. If they were really anal (and they can be) even hanging an air freshener from the mirror can constitute a modification. But then you can't do that legally either 'cos it constitutes an item in the 'swept area' of the wipers and therefore a visual obstruction........tedious isn't it!
I'm old now and can appreciate why people make mods and don't declare them as the insurance is stupidly high these days, getting fully comp with mods under £300 is certainly a bonus of being past 40 but stick with it, your premiums come down eventually! Finding the right insurer for modded cars helps no end. There's a good few about.

But never mind all that, your car looks great so keep up the enthusiasm and keep us posted as a well written and photo populated thread always wins :)

OP
OP
cgten
Couldn't agree more. Luckily the things I'm doing won't bump insurance too much as none of it is aftermarket. They already know about the colour-coding, so I can get on with that once this friggin weather improves a bit :D None of the other stuff has been permanently fitted yet. The fogs need to actually work for it to pass an MOT, so they'll be out until then, and the spoiler can't go on until the weather plays nice so that the adhesive gets some time to cure. I'll be phoning my insurers in the next few weeks though, definitely want to keep everything above board (I've heard they sometimes even check forums for undeclared mods etc - might be a myth). I won't be adding new wheels or springs for a while though, not unless I can get hold of some for a decent price and my insurer won't charge through the roof to add them to the policy.

OP
OP
cgten
Quick update: I was sick of seeing the peeling lacquer on the boot lid, and water was getting underneath it, making it worse and the affected area larger as the days went by. As we had a bit of sunshine yesterday, I decided to try and apply a temporary fix to the area, but I should have left it until I had the right tools really. I sanded it back with 600 grit, which was all I had, masked it off with note paper and sellotape, then gave it a coat of primer, then some AJ4, then some lacquer. It looks awful, really bad, but at least it's sort of protected until we can take it all back and respray that part.

Actually I say that, but when removing the masking paper, the tape pulled a nice strip of lacquer from just above the driver's side tail-light, so really I should have just left it. This just goes to show that you should always use the right tools for the job and never rush things. I'll try and get a photo up later on.

OP
OP
cgten
It's just arrived! Not sure how I'm going to colour the rear lights though, they're clear. May have to get a red marker out lol.

OP
OP
cgten
You can probably pick up some from your local toy scrapyard...

Whilst I'm there I can get some OEM parcel shelf speakers, as my model doesn't have them :p. I was looking at the decals though, and the instrument panel has a tachometer. It's laughing at me, it knows I can't get one and it's toying with my emotions.

The model is actually pretty good. It comes with both the facelift and preface style dashboards and you can either put on the Japanese plates, or the rectangular European plates. Just need to get some model paints and get started.

@Shamalam : Sorry to keep tagging you mate, but any news on that shelf?

Whilst I'm there I can get some OEM parcel shelf speakers, as my model doesn't have them :p. I was looking at the decals though, and the instrument panel has a tachometer. It's laughing at me, it knows I can't get one and it's toying with my emotions.

The model is actually pretty good. It comes with both the facelift and preface style dashboards and you can either put on the Japanese plates, or the rectangular European plates. Just need to get some model paints and get started.

That dash sticker is the biggest paint in the arse. Broke it.

The kit is pretty fiddly, but detailed... Takes hoursss

OP
OP
cgten
I like to think that's money well spent if it takes hours. Going to use some proper car paint on the outer shell, then use some model paint for the other bits.