K11 Instrument console Malfunction Indicator, anyone know anything about this?

Funny thing happened 2 days ago. Hot day in the sun. Fuel tank probably got very hot. Left car to cool down in evening. Seemed like fuel starvation when starting it up that evening. It idled but made no power, so I gave up, went to bed, thought about it, realised it might be a vacuum in the tank due to the filler cap breather possibly being blocked. Next morning, sure enough, undid the filler cap to the sound of air sucking IN. Thus there was a partial vacuum, or seemed so. The diaphragm in the cap seems rather tight. Anyway, engine ran sweet after that but 'Malfunction Indicator' is now on all the time and the performace seems to have improved ! Has the engine computer gone back to 'richer setting'? I am mechanical, used to run Landrovers (lol)any people have reported this light coming on on older cars with computers and simply ignoring it. . . Manual says it may be something to do with 'Emission Control'. Paul.

frank

Club Member
there is a breather pipe on the top of the tank so i dont think it will be the filler cap paul.
what year is yours ? and you need to read the faultcode and go from there

Funny thing happened 2 days ago. Hot day in the sun. Fuel tank probably got very hot. Left car to cool down in evening. Seemed like fuel starvation when starting it up that evening. It idled but made no power, so I gave up, went to bed, thought about it, realised it might be a vacuum in the tank due to the filler cap breather possibly being blocked. Next morning, sure enough, undid the filler cap to the sound of air sucking IN. Thus there was a partial vacuum, or seemed so. The diaphragm in the cap seems rather tight. Anyway, engine ran sweet after that but 'Malfunction Indicator' is now on all the time and the performace seems to have improved ! Has the engine computer gone back to 'richer setting'? I am mechanical, used to run Landrovers (lol)any people have reported this light coming on on older cars with computers and simply ignoring it. . . Manual says it may be something to do with 'Emission Control'. Paul.
Mine does this every time I fill it up, but has no similar issues

My best guess would be a fuel line blockage or a fuel pressure issue, or a failing fuel pump seal

The other thing is, intermittent issues will cause the MIL to light up, but it takes 30 instances of the car running fine for the code to be cleared from the ECU memory. If whatever you did fixed it, expect it to go away after the car has been driven a couple of times. If it stays on it or has issues again it might require further fixing.

You could try to get the codes off it to see what fault it is coming up with. I know I'd be wracking my brain trying to figure it out so it's probably worth doing. There's an explanation on how to do that here about half way down http://www.micra.com.au/community/message.php?messageid=25893

Many thanks to all for your responses. I am going down to my mechanic this afternoon and he'll check the fault codes. I can see this could turn out to be a bit of a nightmare if I don't find out and take some action. Paul.

In very good condition with only 42 thousand on clock, full service history, 1 previous owner. This is the 3rd one I've kept in 15 years. I'm getting insights already - the car ws well garaged but UNDER used, only did 12 miles in the last year of ownership, then only 100 miles in the second year before I purchased it when dealer acquired it and sold it on to me. . . The fuel pump seal sounds like a possibility since under use can cause things like that, perished rubber etc P.

Mine does this every time I fill it up, but has no similar issues

My best guess would be a fuel line blockage or a fuel pressure issue, or a failing fuel pump seal

The other thing is, intermittent issues will cause the MIL to light up, but it takes 30 instances of the car running fine for the code to be cleared from the ECU memory. If whatever you did fixed it, expect it to go away after the car has been driven a couple of times. If it stays on it or has issues again it might require further fixing.

You could try to get the codes off it to see what fault it is coming up with. I know I'd be wracking my brain trying to figure it out so it's probably worth doing. There's an explanation on how to do that here about half way down http://www.micra.com.au/community/message.php?messageid=25893

Hi MattInARedMicra
Thanks gain for your feedback. I saw my mechanic yesterday and he plugged in his computer to the car computer. He discovered it was a Mass Air Flow Sensor fault. However, after unplugging, the instrument console fault light went out. He said it could just be a glitch. Maybe later it will show up again? Maybe not. Maybe it will go onto 'safe mode' but at lest it will keep running. . . hopefully. Paul. I appreciate ALL the feedback I have received here, thanks.

frank

Club Member
your coilpack type of k11 usually run better with the maf disconnected when they fail paul, there are many threads on here about that type of maf

Hi all, thanks for your previous feedback, particularly frank.
I have read many threads about the MAF Sensor and am far better informed now.

Since my last K11 S 2002 engine weird start up issue plus engine warning light episode, then getting my mechanic to check it, revealing a MAF sensor fault which 'disappeared' as a direct result of him plugging in his computer (as if an automatic reset took place) - after many more than 30 restarts where that orange engine warning light flashed on & off with the ignition, remaining off, - well the light has come on permanently again (surprise surprise). This time without any apparent engine / performance issue - yet. So, I'm back close to where I started wondering if all I need do is A) ignore it or B) just disconnect the existing MAF sensor, leaving the unit in. Alterntively, C) I could buy another sensor and even fit it myself. By the sounds of things in the later model's throttle body, this sensor can be removed / replaced, whereas earlier models it's all one thing and entire throttle body has to be replaced - sounds scaryily expensive for such a silly problem. Also I read somewhere that a new sensor is under £20, so maybe I just buy one at a decent price and fit it myself ? I'm sorely tempted to buy a diagnostic computer myself since it could be a way for me to co manage future car problems with any model in the future - I would be very grateful for feedback on these issues. I am mechanical and even have a garage space to do basic maintenance.