K11 Help needed...

J

JTuner

Hi all,

I'm looking to buy a little car to run about in and thought a pre-faceflift K11 would be perfect. However, there's no way in hell it's going to stay stock spec so I'm after advice from those in the know...

Forgive my ignorance, but I've never really taken much notice of the Micra range. I'm assumng that the SR model is going to be about as good as it get's performance wise, however, I've read conflicting reports that the older 1.3 is actually quicker to 60mph and lighter than the SR - is this true? Also, is it possible to get an SR without a sunroof?

I don't want to turbo it, been there done that with other cars, so it would be nice to keep it NA and maybe swap the cam or get it re-machined before and upgrading the throttle body etc.. in the hope of getting a little extra power out of it. Is this a realistic dream? Or am I going to be wasting my time because there aren't any aftermarket parts available?

Any help would be great.

Matt

Hello and welcome to the site.

The reason why some 1.3's are quicker than other is because of weight. they all have the same engine - kicking out the same 75bhp. however the SR has more "mod cons" than the older Super S thrus it's got more weight to move.

However - i strongly recommend buying an SR over a Super S.

For a start your more likely to find an SR with PAS and ABS (With rear discs) and the interior looks nicer.

Also i haven't seen an SR with out a sun roof so if your thinking about roll cage forget it.

To be honest if you want pure speed your best getting the lowest spec 1.3 you can find as they'll be hardly any weight in it and you can strip it and race it. However if you want a "modded" car that looks OK and has a little more grunt then Super S/ SR with engine mods.

Engine Mods.

Yes you can replace the TB(either a 1.5 or with a small bracket a 1.6), I personally have Tomie cams waiting to go in along with a Dastek piggy back ECU which should give it some speed :)

Exhaust systems are made by Janspeed and you wont have much change from £500 for a setup.

Also if your after how to guides try this website - www.mightymicra.co.uk

Well the SR is meant to be 0.5 sec slower that the other 1.3's, but thats only because of the weight. All other 1.3's have the same performance, its very unlikely you would notice any diffrent between the SR and other 1.3's. Unfortunetly you cannot get an SR without a sunroof but there are other 1.3's availble without a sunroof.

With regards the aftermarket bits, there are alot avbailble but some else with better knowlegde will be able to give better advice.

Thanks for the picture in the magazine! (Boxhill Meet)

have a look at this it is a colection of all the post it is not done yet but will give an idea of things you can do!!!
i did not wright this some of the uther brain's in the club!!!

p.s. ED wil get you the cams!!

Attachments

• guide.txt
    16.1 KB · Views: 2,901
Wow! Thanks for the rapid response.

wilsonian: Yeah I thought as much, so no rollcage for me then... Probably for the best anyway, saves a bit more weight I guess.

It definitely sounds like the SR is going to be the best option.

Thanks

Matt

i seem to remember sr's not having rear disks, as nissan only used rear disks in the super s as an option, at that time until they worked out how to use abs with drums...which is how the sr is setup -- abs with rear drums.

feel free to call my bluff on this though...as i maybe mistaken or even made it up...lol

Rear discs are an option on both super s and SR but you're more likely to find them on an SR than a SS.

Oh and BTW mine has them ;) ;)

detox said:
yer you will get 1 in good nick for that!!!!!

look for one with rear disc breaks!!!

Cool, I never even thought they be available with rear discs. That saves a job.

:D

sore 1 on ebay sell for 400 with clifford alarmas and it had no rush that is the car that mad me whant a micra!!!!

Monkey said:
dont forget the SE from 2000 (X Reg) nissan put the 1.4 16valve twin cam engine in from the almera, (87BHP)
The K11 never had a GA14DE, the "1.4" facelift K11s used a CG13 bored out to 1348cc and badged as a 1.4 to give it the engine code CGA3DE (80bhp).

Anyway, onto tuning, my plan is currently to have a nicely tuned N/A 1.3, here's my current checklist of my "Project 130SR":

Fitted: Brake upgrade (March Superturbo calipers, 100NX vented discs & sunny pads), Janspeed Backbox, Janspeed Decat, K&N Panel Filter, Magnecor KV85 Competition HT Leads, OMP strut brace, Crystal Headlights, Super March LED Clusters

To fit: Maniflow Manifold, Piper Ultimate Road Cams (272 duration), 35mm lowering springs, shortshifter, gas flowed head

To get: E-manage Ultimate (or standalone system)

Maybe: Forged rods & pistons

James :)

detox said:
Maybe: Forged rods & pistons

were from!!!
America I think, I haven't really looked into it in great depth yet as it's a LOT of money that I don't realistically have at the moment lol

solarice said:
i seem to remember sr's not having rear disks, as nissan only used rear disks in the super s as an option, at that time until they worked out how to use abs with drums...which is how the sr is setup -- abs with rear drums.

the k12 160sr has abs with rear drums

Back