k11 heating...its pants!

leeandjude

Club Member (Trial)
Love the car, not had a problem with it at all.
But the heating is poor, it takes an age to heat up. For instance we have just been out for a drive and the car was driven for at least 7 miles and the heating weas just getting warm. strange thing is the heater was hotter when you have it on your legs but real poor when on the dash vents (the outside ones).

tomorrow im going to drain the system down and put some new antifreeze in. Any quick hints tips on doing it? im not a novice but all help appreciated.

I was also going to half cover the radiator for winter weather to help the heater. The poor wife only drives 3 miles to work and she says its freezing in the car!:(

i dont think you will get any concensus on heaters personally fwn
http://www.micra.org.uk/showthread.php?t=27165
but during my many engine changes this year, one engine would,nt go past 1/4 hot, but the others got hot within a couple of miles (probably a thermostat problem)

so to come to the solution that the heater is pants then!
I will tell her she will need a thicker jumper.....i will stick to my cosy almera gti for the winter! lol :laugh:

I found that the control knob on my heater had jumped a few splines so wasn't allowing it to reach the full hot position, check where the knob is when fully anticlockwise.

I found that the control knob on my heater had jumped a few splines so wasn't allowing it to reach the full hot position, check where the knob is when fully anticlockwise.

Agreed.

Mine did this and it did make a difference.

strange my k10 is the same maybe nissan thought that is was better to have warm toes compared to actually demisting the windows lol

got to remember it will only be warm when the engine is, (unless you have AC), and the heating system is over 10 years old, can't expect too much from it!

well i think i have a bit of a problem from when i took off my dash because its more powerful on the passenger side, need to check the pipes

strange my k10 is the same maybe nissan thought that is was better to have warm toes compared to actually demisting the windows lol

the dash vents only blow cold in the k10 mate....hot air only comes out of the floor and windscreen vents. Just another weird thing nissan did. i thoght mine was broke untill i read the owners manual.....lol

Mine takes a few minutes to warm up properly and then it gets uncomfortably hot if it's on full. I never have it above about half way :p

BG

he meant descale the cabin heater matrix. the heater matrix is inside the middle of the dash which takes coolant from the engine to heat the blower air which is why you have to wait for the engine to heat up before the cabin air heats up.

the heater dial controls how much blown air is diverted through the heater matrix and also how much coolant flows through the heater matrix by opening a butterfly valve nearby.

I'd first check that the engine thermostat is working (take out, put in cup of boiling water with thermometer, check it fully opens above 88C and then closes fully below 88C)
then check that the position of the diverter flap diverts all air through the matrix and the heater matrix coolant valve is on fully when the heater dial is at hot before carrying out stuff like descaling or changing coolant.

i let my car heat for 10 min before i go, with the heater on full on the windscreen and rear demister.

not only do i get into a nice warm car but i don't need to scrape the windows either.

if you can do that then its probably the best idea, they don't use any fuel on idle

might be a bit late on this thread. sounds to me like the pollen filter is clogged with crap its behind the glove box find it and just remove the pollen filter. this is what i done and my car is seriously toasty in 5 minutes best car heating ive ever had infact!

might be a bit late on this thread. sounds to me like the pollen filter is clogged with crap its behind the glove box find it and just remove the pollen filter. this is what i done and my car is seriously toasty in 5 minutes best car heating ive ever had infact!

im going to give this a go now.
thanks!

could possibly be blocked pollen filter. ver low bets on that but its worth a check, might be blowing very hot but might not be getting past filter.

flip my micra is the same lots of noise but no real blowing from the vents or heat .. IMy thermostat opens fine but didnt even think a 98 1litre micra woud have a pollen filter :doh::doh:

de-scale thematrix?

as i have strip'd out the slx and had the 50k miles matrix at hand i had a go at flinging some kilrock descaler in it.
i havent had decent heat in the sr for 2 odd years, no doubt the valve is stuck shut on the sr matrix as pollyp mention'd
tomoro the dash'll be remove out the sr and i'll swap the heater box with this 50k slx one
also done the radiator as i had a spare one hanging about.

so i filled the matrix and the radiator with kilrock (2 bottles) for a few hours, then flushed.
this was done in the bath tub which i would not do again as you do need good ventilation. outdoor only!
so much mushy broken down limescale came out the matrix, was amazed as the slx had nissan green stuff antifreeze in it.
as for the rad exactly the same, so much that i've had to take a break and go back to it in a moment. it even had a ring shaped piece of gasket sealer paste that flew out when flushing the rad upside down and shaking it
OVERALL I'D HIGHLY RECOMEND THIS . dont know bout the engine though as something safe to use would be advised(dont know what product that'd be?) happy de scaling MSC chums.

I thought I'd resurrect this post, along with R-Reg. The heating/AC in Micras is pretty much useless, you have the choice of being either frozen or boiled, and nothing in between, and it takes ages to get to those temperatures as well. Plus they're not very well insulated, so as soon as the engine heats up, the inside of the car will get hot - even if you have the aircon on full blast.

Hence why I took my aircon out - and found out the system had no gas in it anyway. Saved a bit of weight and freed up a few extra horses in the process :grinning:

Oh, I couldn't be bothered with that, just rip it all out :laugh:. Don't need aircon or fans, that's what windows are for :grinning:

i had this problem , turned out that the pollen/cabin filter was blocked, removed +replaced it and it works a treat now (Y)

you got the k11 with the filter dan,,,,,,,,,,,did you clean it, you aint saying you flung out the blower+matrix?

Oh God no, I knew not to throw that out. I gave the whole system a pretty good clean while I had access to it. Still pants though :glare:

I don't know what's wrong with it. Either way, I don't bother turning it on now. May as well save power :laugh:

Back