K11 E10 fuel capable?

Pretty sure they said in a press release that it was incompatible with micras but also that they weren't suggesting a 100% shift to E10 given how many "run around" cars were incompatible.

"the government conceded around 1 million cars would be unable to use E10 when launching its consultation "

"The government’s proposals would see E10 petrol introduced to forecourts, with larger forecourts (those that sell 3 million litres of fuel a year or more) also stocking a clearly-labelled “protection-grade” E5 petrol for older cars. This protection-grade fuel would prevent retailers selling expensive super-unleaded as their E5 offering. "

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/car-news/104126/new-e10-petrol-plans-800000-cars-would-be-incompatible

Thank you so much for that, settled my worried mind on the matter. Will have to start saving for a K12 perhaps if they review it in 2020 and deem the only solution to be the expensive Vpower fuels..

We've had e10 in Australia for years now, there's possibly some trouble with it dissolving older fuel hoses, but most older fuel injected cars have run e10 with no dramas without replacing fuel hose, worst case the micra has what like 4 sections of rubber fuel hose to replace? That's likely to be a couple of hours tops to swap. I'm actually surprised you don't have e10 already although in hindsight ethanol comes as a by-product of our sugar industry.
My father and some mechanics still whinge about e10 but I haven't heard of many problems despite similar compatibility concerns, ecu adapts mixtures to the increased oxygen content in the fuel.

what is the advantage of it to the hard pressed motorist. If you have an option of the usual petrol that is cheaper, surely you are going to go for the cheapest. having the e10 more expensive seems daft to me, given the amount of tax we pay on fuel anyway.

It's cheaper in Australia, no real benefit to the motorist, it is a renewable fuel source though but that has proven to have undesirable effects on food prices if agricultural land is diverted to ethanol production, if a waste product then it's an extra earner for farmers. I'm on a micra Australia forum I could ask what if any problems micra owners have had running e10.

E85 has a higher octane rating than premium unleaded so it's a tuning fuel, available at pumps but it can be hard to find, flex fuel sensors can mean you can run both but if your static compression ratio is too high the tune is going to struggle to avoid knock, a turbo would have more levers to pull.

It's cheaper in Australia, no real benefit to the motorist, it is a renewable fuel source though but that has proven to have undesirable effects on food prices if agricultural land is diverted to ethanol production, if a waste product then it's an extra earner for farmers. I'm on a micra Australia forum I could ask what if any problems micra owners have had running e10.

E85 has a higher octane rating than premium unleaded so it's a tuning fuel, available at pumps but it can be hard to find, flex fuel sensors can mean you can run both but if your static compression ratio is too high the tune is going to struggle to avoid knock, a turbo would have more levers to pull.

Cheers fuz,

Good to know the stuff worked o.k. for you guys.
I am just not sure what the take up will be over here unless there is a reasonable difference in the price compared to the typical unleaded stuff over here.
Also, you can't have to much faith in our european /u.k. governments choice of fuel after introducing diesel cheaper, only for it to be the same price now and their plans to faze it out now they say it is bad environmentally and the diesel gate sagas.

Also, you can't have to much faith in our european /u.k. governments choice of fuel after introducing diesel cheaper, only for it to be the same price now and their plans to faze it out now they say it is bad environmentally and the diesel gate sagas.
We went through the same scaremongering when it was introduced here now most people couldn't care less and many tuners are using E85.
As for diesel-gate blame the cheating greedy bastards at VW, there was many people and governments fooled about that one.