k11 distributor issues

Hi there,

as many of other users here I have (had) problem with distributor, replacement sourced from other (damaged) car.

But, I would like to know more about problem, and I do not find more info about (what should be) common problem.

There are 3 components (okay, more, but let's focus to main ones) that can cause failure:
- position sensor
- HT coil
- ignition amplifier

So, is there info which of those 3 components usually fail?
My bet would be items 2 and/or 3 on my list, and they are available as spare parts (sharing it with other Nissan's like N14/Sunny, Primera (P10, P11).

And, I have difficulties finding pinout of 5 pin (but 6 "slots", one is empty) distributor connector of K11, so I can go deeper into this problem, anybody has one?

Thanks,
T.

Thanks,
my taught exactly.. I will do a little research about HT coil CM1T-216 (or 216A, i have to figure out differences, if any).
Putting a new coil may be (price-wise) same, but after having in hand used part (which looked really bad), I am far better with my own, if it is repairable..

I'll try to check "broken" (still to confirm, of course) one, by myself, or by car electrician, and will also look into service manual are there any values (resistance) defined for HT coil.

Br,
Tommy (for UK members :))

When you changed your dizzy did it fix the problem (?)

After couple of hours working on her, I am nowhere.
Although I considered problem solved with another distributor - nothing.
If I knew that this outcome is coming I would started my thread totally different.

Now, after pristine MOT, new tires, oil and filter change, after which I did short test ride to check oil level, I left it for a day.
Earlier (but after my test ride), there was heavy rain, but, nevertheless, she started as always in last 13 years that she is mine (I am second owner, she is '97 model) - without any hesitation.
After less than 2 minutes of driving, engine stalled, and after that I couldn't start it again - not a single "cough".
After verifying that there is no spark, I found used dizzy (quickest solution) - and, no spark again.
Now, what are odds that I have 2 with same issue? (to answer myself - obviously not so slim by reading other user's experience..)
So, what I did:
- checked NATS lamp is off while cranking - it is
- battery is OK (it is relatively new, I had it on battery tender since problem), cranking sounds healthy as always
- checked all connectors that I could reach, they are all (but one) surprisingly good (excellent) condition. One that I am referring is single pin, service manual in not close to me, but could be water temperature sensor or oil pressure (neither responsible for my problem).
- checked fuses
- checked engine relay (swapping relays to be sure)
- all electric connectors sprayed with contact spray.
- spark plugs were recently changed
- apter cranking spark plugs were wet (not soaking wet, just proof that there is fuel)
- spark absence I confirmed via proven method "spark on engine block while cranking)

What I didn't do:
- checked diagnostic code (until few hours ago I considered problem solved with new/used dizzy, and I'll do that after work)
- inspect dizzy 1 & 2 according to service manual.

Now,
is there something I am missing that could cause no spark issue?
Thanks,
tommy

back to the drawing board :)
the third (from second wreckers) dizzy works. After some coughing, spitting and tightening connectors it started. Not so good at first, but after few moments she works just fine :)

So, as for first post, I am about to test all points of broken dizzy according to service manual and see what can be done, in terms of repairing component that has been broken.
I have searched (locally) for that particular HT Coil but no success. I wonder, can it be re-wound by some one capable? I'll see..

Oh, yes, thank you for advice's and help!

back to the drawing board :)
the third (from second wreckers) dizzy works. After some coughing, spitting and tightening connectors it started. Not so good at first, but after few moments she works just fine :)

So, as for first post, I am about to test all points of broken dizzy according to service manual and see what can be done, in terms of repairing component that has been broken.
I have searched (locally) for that particular HT Coil but no success. I wonder, can it be re-wound by some one capable? I'll see..

Oh, yes, thank you for advice's and help!
I always grab the dizzy off of any scrapped micra....just in case.

I guess I have to go deeper into this matter.
So, what is that round metal "can" on dizzy that should be capacitor? On wiring diagram there is mention only about resistor (I can post print screen of particular part of diagram).
I have disconnected one pin from HT coil (one coming from capacitor), so I am just measuring ohm resistance of that component, and it is 0 (zero). In my experience, when measuring capacitor with ohm meter capacitance should be infinity, not 0 ?
Anyway, I have tested primary of HT coil for resistance and it is OK, and primary is not OK, it should be 1 kOhm and it is roughly 10 kOhm (or 11 kOhm)

Work in progress :).

Hi there,

as many of other users here I have (had) problem with distributor, replacement sourced from other (damaged) car.

But, I would like to know more about problem, and I do not find more info about (what should be) common problem.

There are 3 components (okay, more, but let's focus to main ones) that can cause failure:
- position sensor
- HT coil
- ignition amplifier

So, is there info which of those 3 components usually fail?
My bet would be items 2 and/or 3 on my list, and they are available as spare parts (sharing it with other Nissan's like N14/Sunny, Primera (P10, P11).

And, I have difficulties finding pinout of 5 pin (but 6 "slots", one is empty) distributor connector of K11, so I can go deeper into this problem, anybody has one?

Thanks,
T.
Have you also looked at these

Have you also looked at these. First pic is internal suppression, 2nd pic is external suppression. Don't these go to ground is they fail? As they are on the neg side of the coil.
IMG-20220909-WA0001.jpeg
IMG-20220909-WA0003.jpeg

Back