K11 can they take E10 petrol?

Good question! Interested the answer as well.

Looked around online for an answer and nothing concrete. Official guidance is any nissan engine post 2000 is fine, which doesn't help.

Apparently the Aussies have had e10 for a while with and cited lowered mpg and noticeably worse performance generally.

OP
OP
nesty

Looked around online for an answer and nothing concrete. Official guidance is any nissan engine post 2000 is fine, which doesn't help.

Apparently the Aussies have had e10 for a while with and cited lowered mpg and noticeably worse performance generally.

Ok, thanks

I have a 1994 facelift can that take E10, or do I have to shift to the premium fuel now?
The main issue with E10 isn't the engine itself it's the rubber fuel lines. E10 eats through the rubber so its probably going to be a case of buying rolls of new hose and making your own as producers of factory rubber will jump on the panic buying bandwagon by upping prices

There is another way boy's, use Millers Oils EPS Ethanol Protection Fuel Treatment Additive - 250ml Bottle (£11.95 ebay) in with the fuel and this cuts down the effects of E10 . And my mechanic who races k11's has told me that k11's should be alright with E10 as he raced in europe and France has E10 already. Peter0003

Going by that post-2000 rule, the 2nd facelifts would be ok and the prefaces and 1st facelifts wouldn't? That seems a bit weird, and a bit unhelpful like you say, considering the only difference with the engine is the switch from dizzy to coilpacks (unless I'm mistaken)?

As you said, wish there was more info

Going by that post-2000 rule, the 2nd facelifts would be ok and the prefaces and 1st facelifts wouldn't? That seems a bit weird, and a bit unhelpful like you say, considering the only difference with the engine is the switch from dizzy to coilpacks (unless I'm mistaken)?

As you said, wish there was more info
It is yeah.

Maybe its do with engine management and being able to adjust to the new fuel and reduced power etc :|

considering the only difference with the engine is the switch from dizzy to coilpacks (unless I'm mistaken)?
Only? there's more to it.
At least a complete different ECU, Other Sensors as well (MAF ist different, crank sensor reading from flywheel, injector type is different,....) datasheets say higher compression as well.

opinions here in Germany say no to use E10 on the old micras...
not worth the risk.
using FuelAdditives/treatments not worth moneywise. Is a tank full of E10+additives cheaper than E5/E0 Fuel?

OP
OP
nesty
I almost accidently put E10 in today, local Tescos now have it on the forecourt, as the regular unleaded, so had to go for the premium unleaded at greater cost :rolleyes:

Hi All, I have been using Super unleaded now since SuperUno told us too. Also if you look on the inside of the petrol filler cap it does say use super unleaded anyway. What would you prefer higher priced S/UL petrol or having the cost of engine replacement? Your's Peter0003

I was hesitant to put E10 in mine today after stopping at BP, so I chickened out and nearly ran the thing dry driving back to my local Applegreen for some E5 ?
Super Unleaded seems ok then? I've never ran it but the general consensus seems that it's fine. Will have to try... might increase the power figure into the 60's ?

Hi All, I have read that E10 petrol can lead to condensation in fuel tanks, fuel lines and carburettors and cause corrosion in brass, copper, lead, tin and zinc components and so damage the engine!!!!. So use Super unleaded .. Peter0003

Be fine
Tbh the hoses and lines are,getting on top start with
Only will be running mine on it
Only places past maybe odd rubber seal but remember its like mine its 20+ so its going to happen and
The added ethanol isnt going to eat your car
There has been alot of scaremongering thats done my head in,
Europe been running it for years and marches in the us and canada are doing the same

Sent from my LM-Q630 using Micra Sports Club mobile app

I'm running E10 on my Micra K11 1.0 V16 2000 about 1 month and engine is working fine. It's just my first car so I can't compare to other cars but I seen something strange with E10 on my motorcycle KTM RC 125 2018. I'm filling petrol to my motorbike every one week or two, at the beginning when E10 show up I get big vibration on bike engine I feel it on steering bar. At the nex petrol load everything come back to normal.

I have my ‘94 slx 10 years this month and only ever used super unleaded, l saw a news bit on fb news feed earlier about a RAC report on the top 10 cars incompatible with e10 with numbers in the thousands. It listed 15k+ micras , no model number ie k10 / k11
I will not be trying the e10 in the micra and sure as fk won’t be putting that crud in my 88 Kawasaki! Just spotted the same story on rs250s post

Just filled up with tesco e10. let's see what happens

Sent from my CLT-L29 using Micra Sports Club mobile app
Can you look at and record short term and long term fuel trims to see if the ecu is adding some more fuel as it adjusts?
When we got it in Australia it seemed they said basically any fuel injected car would be OK, I suspect they are relying on the fuel trims to adjust, ethanol has an oxygen with it so would burn leaner, but also fewer carbon atoms so again would burn leaner, so I expect it will adjust trims to add more fuel, you might see temporary a bit leaner on the wide band O2 until it adjusts?

pollyp

Club Member
Can you look at and record short term and long term fuel trims to see if the ecu is adding some more fuel as it adjusts?
When we got it in Australia it seemed they said basically any fuel injected car would be OK, I suspect they are relying on the fuel trims to adjust, ethanol has an oxygen with it so would burn leaner, but also fewer carbon atoms so again would burn leaner, so I expect it will adjust trims to add more fuel, you might see temporary a bit leaner on the wide band O2 until it adjusts?
I'll do a few logs to check if the a/f base trim in nissandatascan has changed

OP
OP
nesty
I wrote to Nissan UK about it, I got a reply back saying vehicles after 2000 are ok to run on E10, though I did mention in my email that the engine in the K11 from 1994 - 2002 barring coilpacks is virtually the same.
It's like Nissan don't really want to commit on the subject!

obvously nissan is on the defense on a sensitive topic like this. Like: if you put in E10 and your car breaks, they don't want to be held responsible.

Been running E10 for several years on my K11 - 99. No problems running it between -30c - +30c, although I do have to replace the fuel filler pipe now because I noticed a small leak :LOL:
Did running E10 accelerate the pipe rusting, maybe it did, I don't know. The roads here are salted from November until March. The price difference between E5 and E10 is too big in my country to justify using only E5. It's an old car, if it breaks it breaks. I will keep using it as long as I can get away with only minor repairs.

I have my ‘94 slx 10 years this month and only ever used super unleaded, l saw a news bit on fb news feed earlier about a RAC report on the top 10 cars incompatible with e10 with numbers in the thousands. It listed 15k+ micras , no model number ie k10 / k11
I will not be trying the e10 in the micra and sure as fk won’t be putting that crud in my 88 Kawasaki! Just spotted the same story on rs250s post
perhaps they've just scraped the MOT database that shows how many of a particular model are still on the road, and then just everything pre 2000 still on the road they've declared as one of the 15k (for nissan it says year 2000, may be different for different manufacturers)

I think the micra is winning because it lasts so long lol

I have been using Shell 95 with E5 for the last few month without a problem, I am due to have the fuel filler neck replaced (rust) so I'm hoping to have the lines all checked at the same time, I will report back on that one.

Also hi all btw.

I finally threw some E10 in today after failing to find a pump where 97 super wasn't out of order ?

Only put in 1/3 of a tank but it was enough to make me feel apprehensive lol. I'll report back with any issues should any arise. Touch wood they don't!

i got a whole box full of spare hoses/lines and if not, I could always just get some from motorfactor ? plastic tank aint a problem
Fair point, mines due to be booked in for the drivers brakes to be checked for a rattle (goes away on light brake pedal use) so I plan to have a quick nose around while it's on the ramps.

BTW mild off topic : your tip on the wax stat removal worked 100%.

pollyp

Club Member
Fair point, mines due to be booked in for the drivers brakes to be checked for a rattle (goes away on light brake pedal use) so I plan to have a quick nose around while it's on the ramps.

BTW mild off topic : your tip on the wax stat removal worked 100%.
Neat

Yeah check the pad sliders all clean & moves freely,
And one of the guide pins have a rubber sleeve inside, which stops the caliper rattling loosely.

Sent from my CLT-L29 using Micra Sports Club mobile app

pollyp

Club Member
Having the sliders replaced, will mention the rubber sleeve, cheers!
saw your other post. they include the rubber sleeve on the new pins.

remember to only use the silicone rubber grease sachet they provided.
never use petroleum-based grease on it such as copper grease/generic grease/CV grease cos they make rubber swell and jam up the sliding pin inside.

OP
OP
nesty
The issue I have with mine is that it only just passed the 46k mark on mileage, I am hoping for many more years left of ownership, I don't want to extinguish, that early over the risk of say £150 a year!

OP
OP
nesty
Had to use E10 in the current crisis, seems to be be OK so far, tho I suppose it's the long term aggregate effect, of E10, if used regularly?

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
nesty
I'm using E10 4 months non stop. Engin running very good.
I have used 2 tanks of E10 in the recent crisis and now this morning I am getting rough idle and flat spots. I managed to today to fill up with Tescos Momentum (99) today, so I'll see if this improves.

I don't know anything about cars, have never owned one, but am looking to buy a little Nissan Micra and am worried about the e10 petrol. I am assuming this car can't take it from reading this forum, but what would you knowledgeable lot say?

I don't know anything about cars, have never owned one, but am looking to buy a little Nissan Micra and am worried about the e10 petrol. I am assuming this car can't take it from reading this forum, but what would you knowledgeable lot say?
Also maybe this isn't a k11!!! I know nothing!!!!