k11 brakes on k10

ok heres the problem - after searching this forum on how to do this swap, it seemed all i had to do was fit k11 hub carriers to my k10 then i could use k11 cali's etc. then i read the outer cv had to be changed. so i source k11 hubs cali's and cv joints only to find that the bottom ball joint taper is alot thinner on a k10 arm. why did nobody mention this in any of the threads on this subject and is it actually possible to do the swap? ive tried swapping the whole arm but the k11 ball joint is 1" nearer to centre of car so the camber would be way off. im assuming it would not be feasable to just tighten up the narrow ball joint taper into k11 hub and hope it doesnt come loose and start wobbling? any help from someone who knows exactly what needs doing would be appreciated.
cheers ne

frank

Club Member
ne, i thought that the wishbones were a straight swop if you used the rear mount clamp to suit ?
and i think the pre98 1.0 k11 uses the same spline on the driveshaft as the k10 :)

OP
OP
N
the driveshaft splines are the same so ive swapped cv joints no probs. the wishbone is definitely 1" shorter to the bj from the front bolt. the k11 hubs came from a pre facelift. im going back to the yard tomorrow to see if there are any variations on different cars. have you ever compared the ball joint thread thicknesses on k10/k11? what i dont understand is that noone seems to have had this problem. maybe i need different k11 hubs.
cheers ne

thought - perhaPS the new hubs are off a 1300????

actually that doesnt matter as the wishbones and hence the large bjs are off a 1L. so the hubs must be same for 1300 and 1L. argh

frank

Club Member
ne, no i think you,re right about the different tapers, is the 1" difference not compensated on the hub ? (ie, wishbone shorter, but hub longer ?)

OP
OP
N
you know how some people can think laterally and some cant - frank, you definitely can! i would never have thought that. im gonna pick up two wishbones tomorrow and fit it all. this is the only way to tell. if it sits right with all this done then im happy. im stilll confused as to why nobody seems to have mentioned this in any other threads tho.fingers crossed then, ill post tomorrow whether it woorks or not .
cheers frank, ne

superls

K10 Tuner
i think the rear mount on the wishbone is different on the k11 wishbone so isnt a straight forward swap, but can be swapped round of the k10 bush is used.

how old is your k10?

OP
OP
N
its a c reg 1986 k10. the older k10. however the arms are off a g reg, cali's off a g reg and prob some other bits. so how have other people done this swap? reading on this forum makes it sound like a case of swapping hubs, calipers and cv joints. it would now seem that this is not the case. maybe there are some later k10s with thicker ball joint threads??? will have to have a look at some others.
so how do you swap the rear rubber on the arms?
the reason im doing this is because its a rally car and mintex pads are only £28 for k11 instead of over £100 for k10

superls

K10 Tuner
ive got the parts for the swap to, but i didnt even know you needed the cv joints, i was told by someone that had done the swap that all i needed was the k11 hubs and the calipers and disks off of the car i wanted, mine are off of an almera, 232mm vented

richj

Deactivated Account
In the guide section it says:

UK k11 brakes have a larger diameter disc's compared to the JDM discs and due to this more work is required to fit these as the k11 calipers wont bolt to k10 hub carriers.

So you will need a complete k11 hub, caliper and the hose line. Simply replace the k10 hub carrier with the k11 one bolt up to the suspension, wishbone and jobs a good-un. the k10 drive shafts fit to the k11 hubs no problem. whack on the caliper pads and k11 discs and jobs done. (tracking will need to be re-done after this)

Very interested to know if you can replicate that result nef1000, as like superls, i have the parts waiting to do the same conversion.

sammyboi

MicraMachinePower...
I just put some early k11 march calipers on my old k10, just needed a 1mm washer (i think) to space it out! Sold them to someone on here i believe!

quickdraw

Ex. Club Member
jeez it was soo long ago i did this but -

i just fitted teh complete hub, and then the carrier and caliper and job was a gud un.

no cv or any thing needed changing!

no additional washers or any thing needed swapping, and they have lasted around 4 years! now have almera GTi calipers on in fact.

quickdraw

Ex. Club Member
HPIM0488.jpg

HPIM0493.jpg

best pictures i could find mate

P260808_1949.jpg

P260808_194501.jpg

P260808_153502.jpg