K11 94 model shock absorbers

Suze

Club Member (Trial)
Anybody got any recommendations for front shock absorbers? I know I can get very cheap [comparatively] to very expensive and I know there are loads of parts out there but am really interested in hearing people's suggestions please from experience as think it's better than just going for cheap or expensive parts, think mine are getting pretty crud....

Cheers.

In the continent people treat suspension like a servicable part so it's good to see you wanting to replace them, as i see it you have a few options

1) Go after market with eith Koni adjustables (£200 ish) or KYB (£140)
2) Steal struts off a scrapped k11 (£20-30)
3) New off nissan, don't know, don't want to know, most likely £130,000,000
4) Blue print shocks off a motor factors or ebay £no clue

- KYB's are a good ride and work well with oem springs.
- Koni's require you to cut and modify you oem strut housings to install them and require aftermarket springs to get the best out of them.
- Scrapped salvage parts are a bit hit and miss, so buyer beware. Top tip is to steal off the new k11 you can find
- Nissan, will offer the best replacement but the price will hurt. Maybe wrong but normally it does.
- Blue print special, again hit and miss. You don't know if it a dodgy fake or a perfect replica. Try to find out about the company making them before commiting to purchasing them

suze

if your shocks are,nt leaking you will probably need uprated ones to improve the handling
have you got f + r antiroll bars ?

cheers. There's a Micra scrappy off the A13 but whenever I go there, seems to be closed??? Shame really :(

Re point 1 I'd love koni if this was a full on competition car and not a competition car and daily driver but for now can't justify the expense. I saw some KYB's here https://sslrelay.com/buypartsby.co.uk/kyb-shock-absorbers-front-details.php?recordID=1690 but not sure if these would be reasonable enough? No idea what's on the car now.....

I quite like option 2 [cheapskate I know] but a bit worried about not knowing mileage on car etc....would rather get new and yes know that means more dough! I do get some bits off ebay but not sure these would be one of them.

suze

if your shocks are,nt leaking you will probably need uprated ones to improve the handling

leaking or not frank, struts do deterioate over time. With most struts being filled with oil, condensation and water contamination of the oil does occur, also it is always worth doing the springs at the same time.

As it's a super s it would have front and rear anti roll bars.

Yes there is alot you can do to improve the handling of a k11, but really do you and what is your budget.

Mike

suze

Hms Frank you're about to get to my technical limit! ;) No AFAIK don't have antiroll bars.

There's been a noticeable dip in handling the past few months which has stayed - nothing to do with needing new tyres / tyres pressures etc. I got my boyfriend to drive it as he does all the work on his cars and he said he thought it was the shocks - it's quite roly poly now compared to how it used to be, so I think this might be an age thing....

leaking or not frank, struts do deterioate over time. With most struts being filled with oil, condensation and water contamination of the oil does occur, also it is always worth doing the springs at the same time.

As it's a super s it would have front and rear anti roll bars.

Yes there is alot you can do to improve the handling of a k11, but really do you and what is your budget.

Mike

I started a thread today in the K11 blogs bit so to give a little background, this car is currently being used as a daily driver and competition car. Budget wise can't put a number on it but am willing to spend money on it but not as much money as I would if it was just my competition car, if that makes sense. Hope that will come later on....

and cheers Curtis too.

cheers. There's a Micra scrappy off the A13 but whenever I go there, seems to be closed??? Shame really :(

Re point 1 I'd love koni if this was a full on competition car and not a competition car and daily driver but for now can't justify the expense. I saw some KYB's here https://sslrelay.com/buypartsby.co.uk/kyb-shock-absorbers-front-details.php?recordID=1690 but not sure if these would be reasonable enough? No idea what's on the car now.....

I quite like option 2 [cheapskate I know] but a bit worried about not knowing mileage on car etc....would rather get new and yes know that means more dough! I do get some bits off ebay but not sure these would be one of them.

Looking at buyparts it will be over £150+vat for struts all round on KYB's which is a bit pricey in my opinion.

For the cheapstake option you best off finding a end of the line mk4, (51-53 plate k11) as they will most likely be the youngest and have the least mileage. Also worth checking them out in person, to see what condition they are in and so you can haggle with the scrappy.

Don't discount the blue print or dealer option. Phone round and get some quote and then weigh up new to used.

As the koni's are adjustable they are so much better than oem struts

Mike

Goit an address for that Mira scrappy, might pop down there one day.
I have a koni and a std roll bar up fro grabs if you want them ;)
Craig

If you want to keep to standard Nissan parts I could get you a pair at trade, I think they work out at less the £100.00 for the pair. Give me a ring on 01865 748000 and ask for Matthew.

Craig, be careful though if it's a bit of a trek from you, I live down the A13 so not too bad but everytime I try and go to the micra scrappy it's closed :(

Cheers Matthew but how good are the standard Nissan parts? would like to know this too please..... :)

Back